Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paul or no Paul?
I accept ALL of Paul's teachings 16 59.26%
I believe Paul contradicts Christ in (at least) some areas 6 22.22%
I believe in God but not necessarily the Bible completely 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:16 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,274,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Yes, Jesus' attitude toward gentiles (calling them dogs was it?) doesn't seem too loving. Yet Hebrews 13:8 makes the claim that Jesus Christ is "the same yesterday, today, and forever." Both things can't be right. It saddens me..because I accepted Christ when I was 5 years old and I have always believed in him...and what he stands for.

I would have to reject as false, though, a notion that Christ would ever be prejudiced against other races...even for a fraction of a moment. And yet..it is there. Can you imagine a modern preacher doing this on T.V. (to say a black or Chinese person for instance) and all the flack he would get? Yeah, he could take it back, or ultimately change his mind the way Jesus did...but it would be too late. The guy's career would be over.

If Jesus was really all-knowing the entire time, he would have had a warmer attitude with the Gentiles from the beginning...instead of having a racial or cultural preference.

Some people do in fact choose to ignore certain Gospels on account of things like this. The "slay them before me" in Luke also concerns me..and people get very defensive about this, and claim that's not what he meant. Then there are some that claim that IS what he meant..and then quote Revelation's references to the angels throwing the bad people into the fire.

Part of the interesting thing about the challenges I've presented in forums, is that you end up seeing all the vast differences in beliefs and interpretations..when we all know...there is only ONE TRUTH, and ONE SPIRIT that is meant to inpsire and unite it all. People get into heated arguments over it...and each feel that theirs is the right way. Sometimes it is in fact the spirit telling them...and sometimes it is just a dearly held belief that they were taught, that they are afraid to let go of, or are defensive about.

About Paul, you are right...totally different focus and adminitration.
In some ways Paul's words appeal to me even more than Christ..and I've always loved certain things that Paul has said. But there are those that say you can't "pick and choose" what scriptures you believe in..that you must accept all of it. And then there are those who say you can pick and choose.

With so many differing opinions and attitudes...maybe it really is true that if you follow the primary two commandments that Christ gave regarding love for the Father, and other people (as well as the Ten Commandments)..that we can have salvation. Because it wouldn't seem right that all the differences in the opinions about everything else should affect everyone's salvation. Eternal hellfire or no? I don't think a difference in opinion will affect your salvation...if you really love God and other people.
I don't see Jesus as ever being prejudiced towards any race. He was prejudiced against unbelievers, and that's what the Gentiles were. They worshipped false gods, and did abominable things in the sight of the Lord. He had every right and reason to call them dogs. Think of the things they did. They sacrificed their little children to Molech, their false god, meaning they tossed their babies into the fire while they were alive and screaming. Calling them dogs was kind IMHO.

Course, the Jews did bad things too, but not all of them. God punished those who did, and rewarded those who remained faithful to Him.

As for other's opinions, maybe you should quit listening to them. Go to the Bible. Read it for yourself. Trust what you believed when you were that little five year old child. You were right on then.

I'm so sorry someone has poisoned your mind against Jesus and His word.

If I can ever be of help, please don't hesitate to DM me.

God Bless,

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 03:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I don't see Jesus as ever being prejudiced towards any race. He was prejudiced against unbelievers, and that's what the Gentiles were. They worshipped false gods, and did abominable things in the sight of the Lord. He had every right and reason to call them dogs. Think of the things they did. They sacrificed their little children to Molech, their false god, meaning they tossed their babies into the fire while they were alive and screaming. Calling them dogs was kind IMHO.

Course, the Jews did bad things too, but not all of them. God punished those who did, and rewarded those who remained faithful to Him.

As for other's opinions, maybe you should quit listening to them. Go to the Bible. Read it for yourself. Trust what you believed when you were that little five year old child. You were right on then.

I'm so sorry someone has poisoned your mind against Jesus and His word.

If I can ever be of help, please don't hesitate to DM me.

God Bless,

Katie
You are right Katie. God is no respecter or race or otherwise.
Without Christ we all act like dogs. Christ was utterly honest with all because unless you know how you stand with God there is no ground to repent on. He didn't have nice words to say to some of His own country men either. Good news flash.! He changes dogs into saints. Unless one is willing to humble themselves from what they have been to what Christ offers then they will not get anything from God.

The women who Christ called a dog did humble herself and got what she wanted and more! She walked away healed and no longer a dog but a child of the Most High Father.

Last edited by garya123; 02-19-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Way before the Damascus Road, when Paul was Saul he was one opinionated gentleman.
When Paul became Paul he remained a complex, opinionated, outspoken person.

You have no doubt, noticed my emphasis. Paul was flawed and brilliant at the same time. He chronicled the early church and guided the early churches. His writings are inspiring and passionate. I would have loved to have heard him preach!

However, Paul is not Jesus. And just as I am but a Biblian, I am not a Pauline.
Pauls writing were inspired by the Holy Spirit, but he is not Jesus Christ. He was a man.

I take his writings in the light of his times, and consider his personality as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity