Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:13 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
When you've been in a foxhole, then get back to us.
When you have been in a burning house, you'll understand it is the equivalent of being in a foxhole, I'm sure there is a volunteer fire department down the road from you, they are all over the SC foothills. Then get back to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 09:20 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
When you have been in a burning house, you'll understand it is the equivalent of being in a foxhole, I'm sure there is a volunteer fire department down the road from you, they are all over the SC foothills. Then get back to me
You can use your little mad faces all you want, but there is nothing that compares to a foxhole. Sorry. How did this turn into something about you anyway? Trettep needed Christian responses, not negativity.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:24 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
Quote:
Yes there are, lots of them. Begging some invisible friend to save your backside is stupid, open your eyes and start shooting back .

I haven't been in a foxhole but I have been in some bad spots as a volunteer firefighter, and the absolute stupidest thing I could have done would be to ask some deity to get my arse to safety, but to act, react, utilize my training, keep a cool head though the room had just flashed over and get myself out of the situation, with the help of other trained firefighters that thankfully decided that two hands working accomplishes more than thousands clasped in wishing.

But remember, you're probably in the foxhole in the first place because of some loon thinks that his invisible friend told him to invade another country..... say perhaps Iraq
You know, Asheville Native, I don't agree with you on much, but on this I say, RIGHT ON.

The whole purpose of our being here is to be worthy of the coming days. Sitting around hoping for the Rapture or anything else to end our worldly, daily challenges is to me an insult to God - "OK, I'm sick of this - come get me out!"

Like the teenager who has never worked, at his first day at McDonald's, finding out that the job is a whole lot tougher, dirtier, and requires more thought and physical action than he ever dreamed - and just barely putting up with it, all the while texting his Daddy, "Come get me out of here!" The whole idea of being put in uncomfortable situations is what we are here for, to overcome and use our talents to achieve, not just wait impatiently til our shift is over to punch the clock and flee.

I'm not ready to 'punch the clock', and I can wait a good long time because there is so much more I want to learn, achieve, and overcome - but of course if it happened tomorrow, I wouldn't be clinging to the car door handle screaming, "NOOOO!! LEAVE ME BEHIND!!"

Old 09-25-2011, 09:35 PM

1,738 posts, read 845,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Thanks for the heartfelt messages everyone. I think some of you must be misunderstanding. The comment is not from a depressed state of mind. I'm not depressed at all. It is rather one where I desire for those end time events to happen. I think it will be wonderful.

More along the lines of this verse:

Php 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
Well, I'm REALLY glad that you are okay and didn't mean anything like some of us were thinking! I worried about you all night.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
You can use your little mad faces all you want, but there is nothing that compares to a foxhole. Sorry. How did this turn into something about you anyway? Trettep needed Christian responses, not negativity.
No, he need reality, reality can be a harsh mistress but guess what..... that the reality we all face. That the problem with the type of responses you want, there there there it's be better, I'm talking to my invisible friend and asking him to make it better for you.............. does nothing at best and sets false expectation at worst.

He's disillusioned with his failure to achieve his perception of the American dream, (and they all lived happily ever after) and you want to send him off chasing yet another fairy tale

As for the foxhole, please share your foxhole experience, you speak with such authority, you must have some.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:22 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
No, he need reality, reality can be a harsh mistress but guess what..... that the reality we all face. That the problem with the type of responses you want, there there there it's be better, I'm talking to my invisible friend and asking him to make it better for you.............. does nothing at best and sets false expectation at worst.

He's disillusioned with his failure to achieve his perception of the American dream, (and they all lived happily ever after) and you want to send him off chasing yet another fairy tale

As for the foxhole, please share your foxhole experience, you speak with such authority, you must have some.
Dear, Kind, Sweet Asheville...
REALITY? We don't face reality... you are as illusional & in fairly tale land as anyone else. Don't you realize that yet?
Everything you think is only a tiny tiny piece of an enormous picture. Yet, many of us go around like we know all there is to know... jumping to conclusions because we got tired of thinking. I do this too. Some is needed for simplicity & communication... but there are times when we need to explore beyond superficial labels.

I don't believe in Atheists.
According to my definition of God, there are NO atheists.
God is Pure Love... Pure love is the best of all possibilities.
We love by striving for what we think is best, through trial & error. Both intellect (a calm, alert mind, especially in sticky situations) AND intuition will get us further than either alone. We all believe in & actively pursue this type of love (GOD).
You could interpret God as Theists do, but why? I thought you don't like the way Theists think - so why adopt their definition?

The reality is that you have a subconsious mind that is more powerful than you realize. Denying that is denying the most influential part of you.
Tapping into that is tapping into a powerful, healing energy within you.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:39 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Um...I have 4 beautiful kids I want to see grow up into something special so we can put that "world coming to an end" thing on whole a bit, please? Might be selfish of me, but I can't help it.

Last edited by InsaneInDaMembrane; 09-25-2011 at 10:54 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 01:35 AM

488 posts, read 1,251,759 times
Quote:

He needs reality --->>> He needs God!

this is so simple!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
Even though I am comfortable with dying I am in NO hurry for it to happen.

God wants you to live the longest life modern science can give you.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
He needs reality --->>> He needs God!

this is so simple!
I agree that God is reality... it's the reality that we so often try to overlook.
Yet I don't think it's simple. God is the best of all possibilities.
Discovering what's best in any given circumstance is usually done through lots of sweat, tears & trial & error... but we give our best. "Hindsight is 20-20."
And I think we're more likely to get close to that best, by the use of both intellect & intuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity