Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,111 times

Advertisements

Does a name mean anything? Are they important? What does the Word of Elohim say? I believe it's more than clear that He puts extreme emphasis on His Holy names. I will give you a few reasons why and in return ask that if you don't agree, then show me scriptures to prove your stance.

First I'll start with one of the Ten Commandments. One of the Ten Commandments has to do with His name, and I did a study on this one time and found out that the commandment accually means to not consider it meaningless. Here's the commandment, written by Elohim Himself.

Exodus 20:7

7 “You must not misuse the name of Yahua your Elohim. Yahua will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name.

It is a fact that the name is Yahua, or Yahweh as some say. Either way, this was an accuall name that He said was His name. Everywhere you see "the LORD" it is accually "Yahua".

One of the Ten Commandments!

And here is proof that Yahushua is a very powerfull name, not Jesus. The accuall transliteration was not Jesus. There wasn't even a J sound in the Hebrew. Jesus comes from Iesous in Greek. If you say the name Jesus in Spanish it accually sounds like "Hey-Zuess"... not really a surprise. But ok, I feel where your coming from. Elohim knows your heart, and I agree, but don't you see my point here. Names are important, especially if one of the Ten Commandments has to do with an accuall name. But here's more concerning the name of Yahushua.

Luke 10:17
When the seventy-two disciples returned, they joyfully reported to him, “Master, even the demons obey us when we use your name!”

(they weren't saying Jesus, that's very important to know)

John 15:16
You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name.

John 16:24
You haven’t done this before. Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy.

John 14:13
You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father.

Then in Acts we see that the disciples used it and the Pharisees hated it. Remember, it's the accual name were talking about here and this proves it has power.

Acts 4:7
They brought in the two disciples and demanded, “By what power, or in whose name, have you done this?”

Acts 4:10 (Peter)
Let me clearly state to all of you and to all the people of Israel that he was healed by the powerful name of Yahushua the Messiah the Nazarene, the man you crucified but whom Elohim raised from the dead.

Acts 4:18
So they called the apostles back in and commanded them never again to speak or teach in the name of Yahushua.

Acts 5:40
The others accepted his advice. They called in the apostles and had them flogged. Then they ordered them never again to speak in the name of Yahushua, and they let them go.

Ok I'd like to get some believer's responses, but even more I'd like to hear from someone who isn't a believer, because they have unbiased opinions. Is it not obvious, according to the Word I've posted here that a name is important and powerfull? Is it not clearly obvious these passages are talking about a literal name?

Why in the world, after seeing these scriptures, would anyone continue to use the name of Jesus? It just baffles my mind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you won't be saved if you use the name of "Jesus".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 01:40 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,616 times
Because I believe that making known God's name or making known His Son's name have absolutely nothing to do with pronouncing or spelling a literal name correctly. Jesus made know the Father's name by showing us the true nature, character, and will of the Father. That is what it means to make know God's name. All who know the One True God and His Son, know their name and believe on their name.

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. 4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. 5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was. 6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

Jesus did not "manifest" the Father's name by pronouncing it and/or spelling it. He manifested His name through His life and laying down His life.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:06 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Completely irrelevant. Different lanquages pronounce a name differently. The fact that the Hebrew name ''Yeshua” is in the Greek translated as ''iēsou'' and God chose to have the New Testament originally written in Greek should tell you something. In English it is proper to call the Messiah ''Jesus.'' It's simply a matter of different lanquages and has nothing to do with misusing the name of God.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 PM

The commandment was not speaking of the nature of Elohim, and you know this. You chose to overlook this because of what you've been taught. Luke 10 is clear enough as well. The disciples came back and said even the demons obey when they used his name. Once again Mike you make a very good public display. I do agree that the nature is part of it, but I'm not going to lie to myself here and twist those scriptures. Sorry.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:48 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
The commandment was not speaking of the nature of Elohim, and you know this. You chose to overlook this because of what you've been taught. Luke 10 is clear enough as well. The disciples came back and said even the demons obey when they used his name. Once again Mike you make a very good public display. I do agree that the nature is part of it, but I'm not going to lie to myself here and twist those scriptures. Sorry.
I don't know what you are going on about with your first three sentences.

There is no magic in using the Hebrew name Yeshua. In English, we call the Messiah Jesus. It is the Person, not the name as is pronounced in whatever language. Again, in Greek which is the language which God chose to have the New Testament written in, Jesus is called Iesou. Not Yeshua. In English, it is Jesus. This is silly even to bring up. And this is the last comment I am going to make on the matter.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I don't know what you are going on about with your first three sentences.

There is no magic in using the Hebrew name Yeshua. In English, we call the Messiah Jesus. It is the Person, not the name as is pronounced in whatever language. Again, in Greek which is the language which God chose to have the New Testament written in, Jesus is called Iesou. Not Yeshua. In English, it is Jesus. This is silly even to bring up. And this is the last comment I am going to make on the matter.
Of course there is no "magic" in the name. That would be an abomination to even say that word with the name of Yahushua since that is a pagan custom and practice. Yahua hates that word.

The name was not used by the Apostles in Greek. The original manuscripts, I don't know, may have been written in Greek to be understood by the hearers of course. That doesn't mean that it said "Iesous" either. Show me proof that Peter, John, James, Matthew, or Luke, wrote the name Iesous in their original letters! You can't, and by the scriptures I've just posted, it should be clear that they wouldn't have. It is higly likely that the first "Catholics" did this or some other person other than the Apostles! In English the name is not Jesus. In English the name is Yahushua. Mike, names are not translated, they are transliterated.

Facts:

-One of the Ten Commandments is based solely upon the literal proper name of Yahua. There is no getting around that fact, and this shows us that indeed, Elohim does place huge emphasis on His name. It is one of the Ten Commandments!

-The proper name of Yahushua was used to cast out demons and heal people.

-The Pharasees did not command them not to speak in the "nature" of Yahushua, they commanded them not to speak the name!

-The Pharasees asked the Apostles a question: "In what power, or in whose name, have you done this?" The Apostles replied it was the name of Yahushua.

You have absolutely no scripture that says a name is meaningless or powerless. You may use a passage of so called scripture from Paul, I would guess (it it was there), to debate this, but nothing FACTUALLY about a "name". I have posted FACTUAL scriptural evidence that not only does Elohim place huge emphasis on a literal proper name, but it is also powerfull.

So Mike, please answer this, are you saying that the literal proper name of Jesus has no spiritual power? Yes, that's exactly what your saying, right? And I would agree, but there is just this one problem with that. I believe all words and especially names have power, according to the Word of Elohim, so since the name "Jesus" is Greek, and sounds like "Hey-Zuess", I would have to guess that its highly likely not to be a very blessed name. Yes, it probably has power though.

Now I wonder what other believers in the Messiah think. Does the majority think like you? Do they think the literal proper name Jesus is powerless?

Was it hard to understand what I've just said? Did I try and through you for a loop in confusion with a bunch of humdrum words?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Does a name mean anything? Are they important? What does the Word of Elohim say? I believe it's more than clear that He puts extreme emphasis on His Holy names. I will give you a few reasons why and in return ask that if you don't agree, then show me scriptures to prove your stance.

First I'll start with one of the Ten Commandments. One of the Ten Commandments has to do with His name, and I did a study on this one time and found out that the commandment actually means to not consider it meaningless. Here's the commandment, written by Elohim Himself.

Exodus 20:7

7 “You must not misuse the name of Yahua your Elohim. Yahua will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name.

It is a fact that the name is Yahua, or Yahweh as some say. Either way, this was an accrual name that He said was His name. Everywhere you see "the LORD" it is actually "Yahua".

One of the Ten Commandments!

And here is proof that Yahushua is a very powerful name, not Jesus. The actual transliteration was not Jesus. There wasn't even a J sound in the Hebrew. Jesus comes from Iesous in Greek. If you say the name Jesus in Spanish it accually sounds like "Hey-Zuess"... not really a surprise. But ok, I feel where your coming from. Elohim knows your heart, and I agree, but don't you see my point here. Names are important, especially if one of the Ten Commandments has to do with an accuall name. But here's more concerning the name of Yahushua.

Luke 10:17
When the seventy-two disciples returned, they joyfully reported to him, “Master, even the demons obey us when we use your name!”

(they weren't saying Jesus, that's very important to know)

John 15:16
You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name.

John 16:24
You haven’t done this before. Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy.

John 14:13
You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father.

Then in Acts we see that the disciples used it and the Pharisees hated it. Remember, it's the accual name were talking about here and this proves it has power.

Acts 4:7
They brought in the two disciples and demanded, “By what power, or in whose name, have you done this?”

Acts 4:10 (Peter)
Let me clearly state to all of you and to all the people of Israel that he was healed by the powerful name of Yahushua the Messiah the Nazarene, the man you crucified but whom Elohim raised from the dead.

Acts 4:18
So they called the apostles back in and commanded them never again to speak or teach in the name of Yahushua.

Acts 5:40
The others accepted his advice. They called in the apostles and had them flogged. Then they ordered them never again to speak in the name of Yahushua, and they let them go.

Ok I'd like to get some believer's responses, but even more I'd like to hear from someone who isn't a believer, because they have unbiased opinions. Is it not obvious, according to the Word I've posted here that a name is important and powerfull? Is it not clearly obvious these passages are talking about a literal name?

Why in the world, after seeing these scriptures, would anyone continue to use the name of Jesus? It just baffles my mind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you won't be saved if you use the name of "Jesus".
A rose by any other name is still a rose. It doesn't matter if you say the name of the Son in Hebrew,Spanish, English, Greek or any other language, God knows every Language because He created them all and they are all equal though some may have their bias as to one or another language is more beautiful. The one exception is Hebrew as pertaining to the names of people that have a rich meaning that describes the persons nature from God's view. That is something that is not true to the fullness in any other language, but can be interpreted as to their meaning in any language. The different names for God in the original Hebrew all speak of a different aspect of Gods nature and all can be translated into any language but only originate from the Hebrew. But, nevertheless it is only the name of Jesus in any language that saves. It is written, "There is no other name but the name of Jesus given among men whereby we can be saved," whatever the language.

As a side note: You should use a spell check program.

Last edited by garya123; 10-14-2011 at 06:20 PM..

Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
Because I believe that making known God's name or making known His Son's name have absolutely nothing to do with pronouncing or spelling a literal name correctly. Jesus made know the Father's name by showing us the true nature, character, and will of the Father. That is what it means to make know God's name. All who know the One True God and His Son, know their name and believe on their name.

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. 4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. 5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was. 6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

Jesus did not "manifest" the Father's name by pronouncing it and/or spelling it. He manifested His name through His life and laying down His life.
Amen!! What's in a name? Get over it, there is but one "Jesus" and you don't see people naming their newborn sons "Jesus". There's only one. Hey-Zuess doesn't count.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:41 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
A rose by any other name is still a rose. It doesn't matter if you say the name of the Son in Hebrew,Spanish, English, Greek or any other language, God knows every Language because He created them all and they are all equal though some may have their bias as to one or another language is more beautiful. The one exception is Hebrew as pertaining to the names of people that have a rich meaning that describes the persons nature from God's view. That is something that is not true to the fullness in any other language, but can be interpreted as to their meaning in any language. The different names for God in the original Hebrew all speak of a different aspect of Gods nature and all can be translated into any language but only originate from the Hebrew. But, nevertheless it is only the name of Jesus in any language that saves. It is written, "There is no other name but the name of Jesus given among men whereby we can be saved," whatever the language.

As a side note: You should use a spell check program.
My sentiments too. Very well said!

Old 10-15-2011, 03:03 PM

Names are not translated, they are transliterated. If the sound or pronunciation of a name changes you have a different name. What if you name was John, and I was to call you blinglodorf...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity