Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
How many who profess to be followers of God actually take part in this holiday of death that is 100% occultic/satanic and how much will they spend on this night of the dead?

Halloween

Now That’s Creepy: Americans Will Blow $7 Billion on Halloween | Moneyland | TIME.com
One of my life's greatest regrets was to not allow my children to partake in holloween when they were small. They'd look out the window watching other children walking up and down the sidewalk in their costumes, while we held prayer vigils with them in the house. Such fanaticism is not healthy.

Thank God we woke up from those extremes. By the time our little ones were 9 and 7, they were fully taking part in and enjoying holloween. It was a great joy to watch them have fun. . .and that is what it's all about. It's nothing more than about letting little ones have fun.

Shame on anyone who twists that day where children have fun into something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 01:54 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I will spend this Holloween evening the same as I have spent it for over half a century..Looking forward to the beautiful, funny excited to be dressed up little children who come to my door and say "Trick or treat" If it is warm enough I will sit outside with one of my adult grandkids and we will hand out treats and talk to the kids and their parents for a few seconds before they move on to the next house..There is nothing evil in that

Hear ye, hear ye. We should dress as calvinist ministers. And then the ptich fork... too bad. Let's get distracted by the OCCUPATION of CITIES protests.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:23 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
How many who profess to be followers of God actually take part in this holiday of death that is 100% occultic/satanic and how much will they spend on this night of the dead?

Halloween

Now That’s Creepy: Americans Will Blow $7 Billion on Halloween | Moneyland | TIME.com
Not only that, but I'll be celebrating Christmas on...Saturnalia!!! OH THE HORROR!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I simply cannot picture Jesus telling the little kiddies to get off his front porch and slamming the door in their face if they came to his house trick-or-treating!
I can't either.

Quote:
Originally posted by Neutral
Why would someone who proclaims to love God want anything to do with it? Furthermore, if the world loves it so much, that should be a sign that perhaps Christians, who are not supposed to be OF this world, should avoid it.
Because they're not engaging in devil worship. They're eating candy. Much of the world likes to celebrate Christmas and Easter too, so should we shrink away from that? And I sincerely hope you're not questioning someone's love for god (and salvation) by your own legalistic standard. As I recall, St. Paul had the following thing to say to the Romans about this issue:

Quote:
One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God
He also had this goodie:

Quote:
But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.
I'm not a big halloween person. There are simply other holidays I enjoy more. But I don't turn down childrens' request for candy and I won't be sitting on my high horse judging other, sincere Christians like you clearly are doing. So take the plank out of your eye, please, and be on your way.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:25 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Hear ye, hear ye. We should dress as calvinist ministers. And then the ptich fork... too bad. Let's get distracted by the OCCUPATION of CITIES protests.
Well, October 31 is Reformation Day, after all.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:37 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

Halloween

I don't believe it's 100% occultic/satanic. It's a child's fun activity day that adults can participate in and act like kids. I will spend more than I intended because like an idiot, I already bought some Halloween candy and I've been eating it myself and will now have to buy more.

The biggest sin going on here is gluttony!

Old 10-23-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
your sure know how to take the wind out of a sail - yes perhaps this holiday was started as being related to the occult and death but thats not what it represents today - today its a fun holiday for children to dress up and gather candy - im so grateful im not your child - by the way isnt easter celebrating the resurrection from death - sounds pretty spooky to me
I was once at a church on Easter when the minister said he was at the cemetery the day before and thinking "won't it be wonderful on the 'last day' when the graves all burst open and the dead rise..." I sat there thinking, "Man, this sounds like something out of a Stephen King novel."

Old 10-23-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Not to worry, eventually Christians will turn Oct. 31st into a Christian holiday just like they have all the others that started out as Pagan...etc.
I doubt that, because it already is. It's the eve of All Hallows (Saints) Day! Anyway, holiday seem to be becoming less religious, not more. Christmas, for example, originally a pagan winter solstice holiday, is less of a religious day for most people who don't observe either the birth of Christ or the solstice and now generally and more of a commercialized holiday celebrating greed and gluttony.

I always celebrate the solstice--not in a religious way as pagans do, but because I've always waited for it since I was a child just because it meant that the daylight will become longer. This year I will likely go to church on Christmas Eve, but because my only child is overseas, I think I'm going to celebrate Christmas Day like the Jews and Hindus do--Chinese food and a movie!

Old 10-23-2011, 01:15 PM

488 posts, read 1,251,759 times
Ok, here's the history of Halloween briefly.. it is really occultic. I guess everyone knows God's position on wizards, witches, vampires , Harry Potter and the like

Do you know when Halloween started?
Did you know that once it was a HOLY evening? A long time ago…

Originally, the day was believed to be a day when the spirits visit the earth and talk to the living. The day was influenced by the Celtic day of Samhain, which means the end of summer. Catholics celebrate 1st November as 'All Saints' Day' or 'Hallowmas' and Halloween or 'All Hallows' Evening' (Hallow evening) is celebrated as an evening before Hallowmas. Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6615304
Snippet:

The (Catholic) church decided to celebrate All Saints Day on November 1 every year. It was a special day to help those who love JESUS remember the saints (people who loved Jesus so much, they gave their lives to help others).

The evening before this very important day was called a “hallowed or holy evening” a little like Christmas eve. People were asked to use the time to get ready to remember the saints who loved Jesus.

Link:http://tractleague.com/tracts/make-this-a-real-halloween/

Last edited by june 7th; 10-24-2011 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: To adhere to city-data's copyright rules.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
Ok, here's the history of Halloween briefly.. it is really occultic. I guess everyone knows God's position on wizards, witches, vampires , Harry Potter and the like

Do you know when Halloween started?
Did you know that once it was a HOLY evening? A long time ago…

Originally, the day was believed to be a day when the spirits visit the earth and talk to the living. The day was influenced by the Celtic day of Samhain, which means the end of summer. Catholics celebrate 1st November as 'All Saints' Day' or 'Hallowmas' and Halloween or 'All Hallows' Evening' (Hallow evening) is celebrated as an evening before Hallowmas. Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6615304

The (Catholic) church decided to celebrate All Saints Day on November 1 every year. It was a special day to help those who love JESUS remember the saints (people who loved Jesus so much, they gave their lives to help others).

The evening before this very important day was called a “hallowed or holy evening” a little like Christmas eve. People were asked to use the time to get ready to remember the saints who loved Jesus.

During this “hallowed evening” or “HALLOWE’EN,” the poor could go to the homes of those who loved Jesus and ask for food. If you loved Jesus, you would bake some special cakes and put a candle in the window to welcome the poor.

It was a special time for those who loved Jesus. Children would watch by the window—waiting for a poor family to come and ask for food. Mothers would try to send them to bed, but every time they heard a knock on the door, they would sneak to the window to see who would come to the door.

But some people didn’t like those who followed Jesus. To tease them they began dressing up like witches, devils, and ghosts knocking on the doors of those who followed Jesus and frightening the children. It was cruel thing to do—especially during a holy evening and turning it into something evil. But that’s something you should know: that sin enters every part of our world and ruins it. But God sent His Son JESUS into our world to take all the punishment for sin so we can all be right with God. And that is why we love Jesus.

This sounds as if it was written as a children's book. Got illustrations?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:41 PM

353 posts, read 905,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

Because they're not engaging in devil worship. They're eating candy. Much of the world likes to celebrate Christmas and Easter too, so should we shrink away from that? And I sincerely hope you're not questioning someone's love for god (and salvation) by your own legalistic standard. As I recall, St. Paul had the following thing to say to the Romans about this issue:

He also had this goodie:

I'm not a big halloween person. There are simply other holidays I enjoy more. But I don't turn down childrens' request for candy and I won't be sitting on my high horse judging other, sincere Christians like you clearly are doing. So take the plank out of your eye, please, and be on your way.
People need to stop overusing the word judgement, and stop taking things out of context. One verse on HOLY days does not negate what the rest of the Bible says about avoiding the appearance of evil, abstaining from worldly things, and God's view on mixing the holy and profane. Furthermore, Halloween is not a HOLY day...unless you are a witch. So the verse you quoted wouldn't even apply.

Telling you what God's word says is not judging you. Your problem is not with me and what you perceive to be legalism. Your problem is with God because I was only quoting His word.

Furthermore, while judging hypocritically and hastily is to be avoided, making judgements is wise and Biblically supported.

Quote:
If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.” Luke 17:3
Quote:
Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also may be fearful of sinning. 1 Timothy 10:20
Quote:
Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. Eph 5:11
Like I said, it all comes down to obedience, and people don't want to obey. Yes, God actually expects you to do what He says. Pointing that out is not legalism. "If you love me, you will obey what I command". - John 14:15. Legalism is when people insist that you do things for God that He did not command.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity