Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:23 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,779 times

Advertisements

Marijuana Fact: "Dr. Gabriel Nahas of Columbus University doctors and physicians discovered that THC exposure deminished the capacity of individual cells to orchestrate life according to the genetic code" - Marijuana Update.

THC exposure alters your DNA. THC prevents you from becoming who God intended for you to be. THC destroys your memory as well.

So would Yahushua condemn the person who smokes Marijuana? All I can say about that is, yes, I'd probably end up being condemned if I didn't listen to His command for me to stop. I know for a fact that for me personally He commanded me to stop. What happens if I don't listen to Him? Of course I won't be saved, which would be condemnation in the end. I can't speak for others though.

It's not what goes in us that defiles us, it's what comes out (unless it's food sacrificed to an idol, which would be idol worship). So, I would guess no, unless it caused you to sin. Alchohol isn't a sin, and Marijuana is much more peaceable and pure than alchohol. But again, if it prevents you from remembering the lessons He's trying to teach you, and prevents you from growing, then it's a no brainer.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you. The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. (1 Peter 4:3-4,7)
Anything can be mentally distracting, if you think about it.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
.... tell them they must quit smoking weed if they want to walk with him?

This is a serious question -- I'm not being facetious about the matter.

I know a fair number of Christians who smoke pot. Just looking to see if other Christians posting here have personal relationships with other Christians who smoke pot.
Jesus said, "I did not come to condemn the world but to save the world". Based on His own words I would say that Jesus condemns no one.

Christians are far to caught up in the sins of others. Just forget what others are doing and concentrate on living your own life as an example of what you think is pleasing to the Lord.

If these pot smoking People are actually real Christians then the Holy Spirit will convict them of doing wrong if it's wrong.

Just remember this. King David was "A man after God's own heart".
King David was also a convicted murderer and adulturer.
There is something outside of not sinning that causes God to call you His own.
That is a thing called faith and repentence that goes along with that faith when your sin is revealed to you.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I've never bought the whole idea that we have to stay away from things that are harmful to us. Otherwise, eating Cinnabons, fried chicken and chicken fried steak would be a sin also. Two reasons pot is not God pleasing. First is the most simple, if it is illegal, a Christian is breaking the law by owning it or using it. The second reason it would not be God pleasing is because it would be the same as being drunk, and drunkeness is clearly condemned. JEsus warns Christians to be sober and vigalent, against the devil and his temptations. Jesus also warns that drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of God. So for Christians, pot is something to avoid.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I've never bought the whole idea that we have to stay away from things that are harmful to us. Otherwise, eating Cinnabons, fried chicken and chicken fried steak would be a sin also. Two reasons pot is not God pleasing. First is the most simple, if it is illegal, a Christian is breaking the law by owning it or using it. The second reason it would not be God pleasing is because it would be the same as being drunk, and drunkeness is clearly condemned. JEsus warns Christians to be sober and vigalent, against the devil and his temptations. Jesus also warns that drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of God. So for Christians, pot is something to avoid.
I agree with you about pot smoking but how many people sitting there in the pews would condemn a brother or sister for it while they themselves are 100 pounds overweight?

I don't like what I call "pet sins" or "the sin of the week". Preaching against them or condemning people for them is not what we are taught in the bible to do. That is what the Pharasies and teachers of the law did and they were the only ones Jesus condemned. God deals with His people and their sin. The church should be concerned with teaching the truths about God and His great salvation. As we grow in our faith God gives us increasing power to overcome the sin in our lives.
There is no place for legalism in the church.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:05 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Anything can be mentally distracting, if you think about it.

Like reading the bible and becoming sin conscious instead of God conscious ?

The light of the body is the eye: therefore when your eye is single, your whole body also is full of light; but when your eye is evil, your body also is full of darkness.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you. The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. (1 Peter 4:3-4,7)
Exactly

Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
"Condemn" is maybe too strong a word.

Did Jesus condemn the woman caught in adultery?

Old 10-25-2011, 05:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
"Condemn" is maybe too strong a word.

Did Jesus condemn the woman caught in adultery?
Did she continue to practise adultery after the encounter with Jesus? No, she put an end to it. Should you put an end to pot use when you become a follower of Christ? That is the key question here. Jesus condemns sin. Is habitual drug use a sin? IMO it is as much of a sin as getting drunk.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Did she continue to practise adultery after the encounter with Jesus? No, she put an end to it. Should you put an end to pot use when you become a follower of Christ? That is the key question here. Jesus condemns sin. Is habitual drug use a sin? IMO it is as much of a sin as getting drunk.
Jesus asked her not to do it again. That was His way.

The mob was going to stone her to death. That was their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity