Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That is what being dead to sin means. The desire for willful and habitual sin dies in a believer. At this time I have no idea what your point is concerning the topic. I believe getting stoned is same as getting drunk and would not be something a christian person would should do. Thats my opinion anyway.
My point is that it's not really something I would be too concerned about. No more or less than when I see that fat Christian take that extra piece of pie at the church potluck. I have a hard enough time dealing with my own sinful desires than to worry about something like smoking weed or not.

If by chance a Christian brother was to confide in me about problems he faced in his life and I thought that his weed smoking was an issue, Then I would tell him so and encourage him to consider stopping that behaviour.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:51 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
He is asking all His followers to not sin again. Mary listened, and gave up her sin. That's the point here. He does not want His followers to live in habitual sin. You know that, don't you?
Yes, I know that.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
My point is that it's not really something I would be too concerned about. No more or less than when I see that fat Christian take that extra piece of pie at the church potluck. I have a hard enough time dealing with my own sinful desires than to worry about something like smoking weed or not.

If by chance a Christian brother was to confide in me about problems he faced in his life and I thought that his weed smoking was an issue, Then I would tell him so and encourage him to consider stopping that behaviour.
No worse than a piece of cake....

Ok, so you would tell the brother to consider stopping, but only because it bothers him, not because you consider it a sin or stumbling block?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:11 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
No worse than a piece of cake....

Ok, so you would tell the brother to consider stopping, but only because it bothers him, not because you consider it a sin or stumbling block?
Well, the fact of the matter is that I don't know if it's a sin or a stumbling block.
It could very well be the case sometimes that the use of this herb helps people in many ways. I could no more call it sinful that I could call the use of an anti depressent sinful. For myself it would be sinful to be smoking weed because I would be smoking it to evade reality and the problems in my life but that is only me. I'm not so quick to jump up and call something that a brother does as sinful if I really don't know.
That is not the case in many behaviours that the bible tells us are wrong.
I'm more concerned about the plank in my own eye than the sliver in my brother's.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:25 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
I personally think it should be legalized, but the Bible does seem to suggest we need to respect the laws a government puts in place as long as they don't condemn aspects of our Christian faith. But then again if you live in Colorado (or a few other states if I remember correctly) and have a Medical prescription for it...Jesus may very well tell you to make sure you have plenty of snacks available
But what if the law were placed because of an unlawful act? The reason that hemp is illegal in the first place was because of the greed of the Hearse (newspaper/lumber industry) and the Duponts (pharmacuetals). So by using your logic, you do realize that at one time it was unlawful for blacks and whites to intermingle or even marry? At one time it was illegal to teach slaves how to read. There also were many laws during the Jim Crow era that we should have obeyed but did not.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, the fact of the matter is that I don't know if it's a sin or a stumbling block.
It could very well be the case sometimes that the use of this herb helps people in many ways. I could no more call it sinful that I could call the use of an anti depressent sinful. For myself it would be sinful to be smoking weed because I would be smoking it to evade reality and the problems in my life but that is only me. I'm not so quick to jump up and call something that a brother does as sinful if I really don't know.
That is not the case in many behaviours that the bible tells us are wrong.
I'm more concerned about the plank in my own eye than the sliver in my brother's.
That is your opinoon. That's cool. Like I said earlier IMO it is no more, or less bad than getting drunk.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:59 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Three reasons why smoking marijuana is wrong to Christians:

1. It is illegal. Obey the law.

(although it could become legal, then what? And these laws are hardly an issue where other issues, such as abortion, are concerned for the Christian.)

2. It is harmful to gods temple, the body.

(although it's not as harmful as alcohol, cigarette smoking, preservatives in processed foods, prescription drugs.... Overeating, or even not eating the right foods increases mortality by much more than marijuana smoking.)

3. It blocks communication from God because it's an escape from reality.

(taking a pain pill, reading a book, drinking alcohol, watching TV, playing a board game.... All escapes from reality. It's usually called entertainment. Why is marijuana so different?)

And the best reason is: it makes me feel guilty.

But why would you push your guilt onto someone else? If I feel guilty about eating a second piece of cake but my friend doesn't, who am I to tell them they can't?

I don't advocate marijuana use by any means, but I also think there are bigger battles to chose to fight.

My 2 cents.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
The health effects of marijuana are debatable. While inhaling smoke of any kind is not good for you, there is ample evidence that marijuana mitigates this problem with positive effects, including potentially killing precancerous lung cells.

Many millions of people responsibly use cannabis with NO ill health effects.

Second hand smoke is a separate ethical issue.

You are reading an awful lot into those verses, and it is your own personal interpretation. I interpret the first to be an admonition against suicide, and the second speaks to "defilement." I would not consider smoking a naturally occuring plant to be a defilement.

Neither mention cannabis specifically, despite the fact that the drug was available and in use at the time of Jesus.

Logical fail.

Not all laws are just, which Jesus knew quite well.

And if the law is unjust and unnecessary?
Jesus was not quite that authoritarian.

Well that would depend on the law, now wouldn't it?
Logic fail again.

So our secular, temporal laws now define what is a sin in the eyes of God? Since when? Jesus was rightfully and legally crucified, eh?
Major logic fail.

God says nothing about smoking pot, so your claim that this is included in His principles is wholly unsupportable.

Unless they didn't, because you have not made a logical argument that they have.

Clearly you have never experienced this particular substance to any real degree.

See above. This is a ridiculous statement./

Oh please. As if Ezekiel didn't pop a mushroom or six.

Execellente!!!!
It is a pity that so many christians pick and choose what verse applies to what situation. Like you mention before, hemp has been around for thousands of years and is never mentioned in the Bible in a negative way. It seems that the people with the least experiences have the most critical things to say about something. BTW, how can something be frowned upon in the eyes of the Lord that he created for that purpose?

Old 10-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Did she continue to practise adultery after the encounter with Jesus? No, she put an end to it. Should you put an end to pot use when you become a follower of Christ? That is the key question here. Jesus condemns sin. Is habitual drug use a sin? IMO it is as much of a sin as getting drunk.
I think you have few things a little twisted. First, smoking hemp may or may not be habitual. If you smoke once every blue moon are you committing a sin? Secondly, getting drunk can be a one time event, constantly drinking in order to be drunk is another thing entirely.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBite View Post
Depends on what you mean by "bad". Does "bad" = impaired? If so, getting drunk is far worse.
IMO from Biblical point of view being stoned or drunk are same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity