Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:26 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I thought being Christian was about following Christ, not worshipping a book of paper?
Glad you asked. I would suggest you read John 1:1-2

Quote:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:01 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Glad you asked. I would suggest you read John 1:1-2
Yup, Jesus = the Word, not the Bible. Thanks for proving my point.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:50 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Person number one believes that the Bible is the word of God. The other two do not believe the Bible is the word of God and do not trust it as the absolute standard of truth. They claim that they rely on the Holy Spirit alone to discern the truth.

Person number one: The Holy Spirit told me that hell exists. Just as the Bible says.

Person number two: The Holy Spirit told me that hell doesn't exist.

Person number three: The Holy Spirit told me that hell exists but it is only temporary.

Person number one: The Holy Spirit told me that Satan exists. Just as the Bible says.

Person number two: The Holy Spirit told me that Satan doesn't exist.

Person number three: The Holy Spirit told me that we are Satan.

Person number one: The Holy Spirit told me that Jesus Christ is God. Just as the Bible says.

Person number two: The Holy Spirit told me that Jesus Christ isn't God.

Person number three: The Holy Spirit hasn't got with me on that yet.

Person number one: The Holy Spirit told me that heaven is real. Just as the Bible says.

Person number two: The Holy Spirit told me that heaven doesn't exist.

Person number three: The Holy Spirit told me that heaven is within us.

Person number one: The Holy Spirit told me that you must believe in Jesus Christ to be saved. Just as the Bible says.

Person number two: The Holy Spirit told me that everyone is already saved.

Person number three: The Holy Spirit told me that everyone isn't saved yet but eventually will be.

If you reject the absolute truth which is revealed in the word of God, what you get are people who claim that the Holy Spirit tells them things which are contrary to what other people are claiming the Holy Spirit tells them.

The Holy Spirit will NEVER lead anyone to believe anything which is not revealed in the word of God. To believe anything which is not taught in the Bible.

God the Holy Spirit shines a light on what the Scriptures teach.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Yup, Jesus = the Word, not the Bible. Thanks for proving my point.
yes the same point that was proven by the Bible. Nice try though.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
If this is the case, then how is it possible for you to believe in the word of God? If you believe that the Bible has all of these flaws then it is impossible to really trust what is written right? So how can you be Christian if you don't believe what the Bible says?

Oh I am a Christian alright, through and through. I just believe that the Bible is written by real human beings who, though inspired by God, had inherently human limitations in their ability to articulate their messages. Further, even if the the Bible was infallible (flawless) (which I do not) then I would still have to accept that I have limitations in my ability to understand everything as God does.

Faith and Humility.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
A voice of reason.
Ah, a thumbs up from Mystic! I shall cherish it!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
You have a special way of making me smile! I love your sense of humor and unabashed honesty.
Thank you Heartsong, you have no idea how that lifted me.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 PM

33,258 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
That kinda looks like more than three people, but anyway... it seems to me that what the Holy Spirit told EACH person could be followed by "because that's what it says in the Bible (or at least it does the way I understand it.)"

The Bible is loaded with commandments that seem arbitrary, punishments that seem excessive, contradictions galore, factual mistakes, stories which may or may not be true, parables which may or may not be understood as metaphors, admonishments against certain behaviors that may or may not be motivated by specific cultural references that no longer apply to today's people, and lots of flat out confusing stuff that may be interpreted in no end of ways.

You certainly need the Holy Spirit to help you figure it all out, that is for sure. Not that you ever will. I guess that's what keeps you humble.
There are no contradictions in the Bible. Simply apparent contradictions steming from a lack of understanding about what is being said. There are no mistakes in the original autographs. Though we no longer have the original autographs, God has preserved His word despite the errors and variations in the manuscript copies. And there is nothing arbitrary about God's word.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:09 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
There are no contradictions in the Bible.
To the contrary, good and evil are contradictions.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
Oh I am a Christian alright, through and through. I just believe that the Bible is written by real human beings who, though inspired by God, had inherently human limitations in their ability to articulate their messages. Further, even if the the Bible was infallible (flawless) (which I do not) then I would still have to accept that I have limitations in my ability to understand everything as God does.

Faith and Humility.
That's why there is the need for the Holy Spirit. Without it, you aren't capable of doing a lot of things, but of course you belief in that depends on if you even believe in the Holy Spirit existing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity