Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:05 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I suppose you'd have called Jesus an atheist too when he told the pharisees:

Luk 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
A verse so clear, even a child could understand it...but, alas, the majority of Christianity looks everywhere else except WITHIN THEMSELVES...it is truly sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 09:14 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
The majority of Christianity...the truth and fruit of this is clearly evident on this forum.
"The majority of Christianity" is not registered on this forum. Not even close.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:16 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
A verse so clear, even a child could understand it...but, alas, the majority of Christianity looks everywhere else except WITHIN THEMSELVES...it is truly sad.
Yes it is clear in the scriptures, however I don't think anyone can grasp the truth of what Jesus said until first born of the Spirit:

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

IOW, it's an objective truth that can not be subjectively understood and realized until born of the Spirit.

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 11-04-2011 at 09:49 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Yes it is clear in the scriptures, however I don't think anyone can grasp the truth of what Jesus said until first born of the Spirit:

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
What do you think "seeing" means? You can't see it unless you enter it first, and it enters in you.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:40 AM

33,245 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If you can prove to me that eternal life is going to a place called heaven, then I will accept your proof.

Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

When and where are we to know him ?
If you are denying that Heaven exists, and if you are denying that the believer goes to heaven at physical death, then simply refer to the following Scriptures.

2 Cor 12:2 (Paul states the following) 'I know a man in Christ (referring to himself) who fourteen years ago, whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know, God knows, such a man was caught up to the third heaven. 3] And I know how such a man, whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, God knows, 4] was caught up into Paradise, and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak.

Since the resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ, the believer goes to the third heaven which Paul identified as Paradise. Before the resurrected Christ ascended into heaven, the believer went to Paradise which at that time was a compartment of Hades. Luke 23:43 'And He (Jesus) said to him, ''Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.'

Paul said in 2 Cor 5:8 '...absent from the body (so he was not referring to the resurrection) and to be at home with the Lord. (Remember that he had previously been caught up into heaven in the spirit).

In Phil 1:21-23 Paul exresses his desire to depart and be with the Lord as opposed to remaining in the flesh. So again he was not referring to the resurrection of the body, but to immediately being with Christ at the moment of physical death.

See those who have died, in heaven. Revelation 6:9-11; 7:9-10; 20:4.

See the church in heaven in Revelation 19:7-8.

The church returns to the earth with Christ at the end of the tribulation. The church age believer is part of the armies of heaven mentioned in Revelation 19:14.

Now, the believer has eternal life at the very moment he places his faith in Christ for salvation. Eternal life expresses both quality of life and quantity of life - eternal, with a view towards the endless eternal future.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:43 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

When and where are we to know him ?
If we look at salvation from the POV of God's mercy and grace, then I'd answer your question above like this:

We will know Him when He draws us individually to Himself. Not before then. And the place where we meet Him is what He decides, not us.

Man really can't do a hill of beans except wait. -And I suppose if we learned to wait, that would be a great start already! Just as the bride waits for her bridegroom.

Blessings,
brian

Old 11-04-2011, 09:44 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
If you are denying that Heaven exists, and if you are denying that the believer goes to heaven at physical death, then simply refer to the following Scriptures.

2 Cor 12:2 (Paul states the following) 'I know a man in Christ (referring to himself) who fourteen years ago, whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know, God knows, such a man was caught up to the third heaven. 3] And I know how such a man, whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, God knows, 4] was caught up into Paradise, and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak.

Since the resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ, the believer goes to the third heaven which Paul identified as Paradise. Before the resurrected Christ ascended into heaven, the believer went to Paradise which at that time was a compartment of Hades. Luke 23:43 'And He (Jesus) said to him, ''Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.'

Paul said in 2 Cor 5:8 '...absent from the body (so he was not referring to the resurrection) and to be at home with the Lord. (Remember that he had previously been caught up into heaven in the spirit).

In Phil 1:21-23 Paul exresses his desire to depart and be with the Lord as opposed to remaining in the flesh. So again he was not referring to the resurrection of the body, but to immediately being with Christ at the moment of physical death.

See those who have died, in heaven. Revelation 6:9-11; 7:9-10; 20:4.

See the church in heaven in Revelation 19:7-8.

The church returns to the earth with Christ at the end of the tribulation. The church age believer is part of the armies of heaven mentioned in Revelation 19:14.

Now, the believer has eternal life at the very moment he places his faith in Christ for salvation. Eternal life expresses both quality of life and quantity of life - eternal, with a view towards the endless eternal future.
Not once said it didn't exist. The OP is nothing to do with existence of Heaven.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 AM

33,245 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Not once said it didn't exist. The OP is nothing to do with existence of Heaven.
The title of the thread, Where does this belief come from that being saved is about going to heaven ?', and your comment in post #5, 'If you can prove to me that eternal life is going to a place called heaven, then I will accept your proof.', could easily be taken as otherwise. The believer, having eternal life, goes to heaven when he dies.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What do you think "seeing" means? You can't see it unless you enter it first, and it enters in you.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.
Yes, both are true. How else could one enter into what they cannot see?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:19 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The title of the thread, Where does this belief come from that being saved is about going to heaven ?', and your comment in post #5, 'If you can prove to me that eternal life is going to a place called heaven, then I will accept your proof.', could easily be taken as otherwise. The believer, having eternal life, goes to heaven when he dies.
According to Heb 9:28...that can certainly be refuted for Jesus allegedly does not bring salvation until he actually returns. According to this verse, you only have a promise...not actual salvation, hence, no eternal life as you've been taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity