Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:07 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times

Advertisements

Good evening, folks.

June needs everyone to listen up. A lot of posts have had to be deleted in this thread thus far. In fairness to the OP, let's keep it on topic so that the thread doesn't end up being closed. As well, any sarcastic or rude posts will not only be deleted, but infracted, as well, per the Terms of Service. June is not chomping at the bit to infract anyone, so let's keep it on topic and address the OP. Okay?

Thanks,
~June
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 06:24 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,274,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Twin is including some very controversial scriptures in saying that the bible is the very WORD of God. Jesus Christ is the Word of God, not the bible. Those who condemn others for saying so have no authority to do so.
Can't they both be? Can't we believe Jesus is the word and the Bible is the word also? I mean what's wrong with that? If the Bible is inspired by God, then doesn't that make it His word? Is this a semantics problem? I was under the impression that you believed the scriptures to be inspired by God. Am I wrong? Just trying to understand your position. Please explain.

Katie

Old 11-13-2011, 06:35 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Can't they both be? Can't we believe Jesus is the word and the Bible is the word also? I mean what's wrong with that? If the Bible is inspired by God, then doesn't that make it His word? Is this a semantics problem? I was under the impression that you believed the scriptures to be inspired by God. Am I wrong? Just trying to understand your position. Please explain.
Katie
The bible has to be properly divided. The scriptures (OT) are inspirations from God to prepare us to develop self-control and prophesy ABOUT the Word of God (Jesus Christ) so that we will identify Him, validate Him and have hope. They are NOT the Word of God . . . that is Christ alone and His words (NT).

Old 11-13-2011, 07:20 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Verse 17 answers the skeptics.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Verse 17 answers the skeptics.
True, true.... it says "all scripture"

Old 11-13-2011, 07:35 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Unbelievable how far some will go.
Here we have three verses from the OT specifically about the breath of God...
  • Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul.
  • Job 33:4 The spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.
  • Psalm 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.
what is so hard to accept what one reads.

Does God have a "right hand" ?
Exodus 15:6
“Your right hand, O LORD, was majestic in power.

Psalm 17:7
Show the wonder of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes.

Psalm 20:6
Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed; he answers him from his holy heaven with the saving power of his right hand.

Psalm 48:10
Like your name, O God, your praise reaches to the ends of the earth; your right hand is filled with righteousness.

I thought the enlightened argued that it was a good thing to "fall into the hands of the living God" ........

Does God have an ear?
Psalm 71:2
Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness; turn your ear to me and save me.

So I guess then all the time the "God is love" crowd is also sorely mistaken, since his breath didn't create a living soul, gave me life, create the heavens which are litural, then other litural things won't happen either that comes from God's right hand or God's ear.

Can't have it both ways....

Old 11-13-2011, 09:18 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Bet you don't read the book of Jasher (though it is mentioned in the bible).

An Overview of the Book of Jasher

Old 11-13-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post

Katie
You can believe whatever you want to, Katie. I don't condemn you for saying you believe the bible is the word of God. However, there is a certain group of Christians who do condemn those who do not believe that the bible is the Word of God. Jesus Christ IS the LIVING WORD. The bible has errors and some crazy stuff in it as well. Only a person with a Pharisee spirit would dare to condemn people for whom Christ died over this disagreement. There was a time when I repeated like a parrot that the bible is the word of God. I have grown in wisdom since that time and I now understand why it is wrong to insist on such a thing. But for those who are looking to exclude as many people from their circle as they can, they will continue to think of themselves as "superior", "closer to God", "better than others", "special to God", etc... They will continue in this delusion for as long as they want to. The self-righteous delusion is apparent to those who have been through the fire and to the valley of the skull (so to speak). Some people have not yet had enough suffering to be humbled. Fortunately, that is not my problem. So glad I'm not God!

Old 11-13-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Catholics have some books you do not read. And there are other "lost gospels" and "dead sea scrolls". I assume you are only including the authorized King James list in your approved books, though. Right? And of course, there are some things the Word of God did that were not written down.

"And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen." - John 21:25

Old 11-13-2011, 09:43 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,058 times
And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe. (1 Thessalonians 2:13)

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

For you have been born again
, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. (1 Peter 1:23)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity