Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 PM

531 posts, read 479,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The "submersion" occurs within the "water of life" surrounding our brain increasing our ability to reject evil through "love of God and each other.".
Okay... CSF has 4 primary functions as far as my seeking has uncovered. None of them qualify it as havin to do with the ability to reject evil. The 4 functions of the "water" (it's not water), are: buoyancy, protection, chemical stability, and prevention of brain ischemia.

Cerebrospinal fluid is an intracerebral transport medium. It is not the living water Jesus spoke of. The living water is a spiritual device that fulfills a spiritual thirst. Jesus fulfills a need that we can never truly satisfy without him. If we try, we go back for more because what we attempt to fill our life with is fleeting. It doesn't last. Like a quenched thirst ( physical )... It always comes back.

When we submit to the will of God... That thirst is quenched. Forever. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
Okay... CSF has 4 primary functions as far as my seeking has uncovered. None of them qualify it as havin to do with the ability to reject evil. The 4 functions of the "water" (it's not water), are: buoyancy, protection, chemical stability, and prevention of brain ischemia.

Cerebrospinal fluid is an intracerebral transport medium. It is not the living water Jesus spoke of.
Then your seeking has been incomplete and insufficient. The composition of the CSF is the determinant of our emotional maturity and control over our drives. Supplementation of the composition with external substances is widely used to solve mental problems . . . but external supplementation (prescription drugs) only provide temporary changes that must be maintained externally. It is the inner rejection of the negative drives by our consciousness (Will) that makes permanent changes to the composition of the CSF (water of life). There is no magic involved.
Quote:
The living water is a spiritual device that fulfills a spiritual thirst. Jesus fulfills a need that we can never truly satisfy without him. If we try, we go back for more because what we attempt to fill our life with is fleeting. It doesn't last. Like a quenched thirst ( physical )... It always comes back
You are correct that our ability to access the Holy Spirit of Christ within our consciousness DOES provide a Spiritual support system to help us achieve the rejections when we are weakest. But it is our continued practice of control over our negative urges through "love of God and each other" that changes the composition of the "water of life" around the brain making it easier and easier to do.
Quote:
When we submit to the will of God... That thirst is quenched. Forever. Period.
There is no quick fix . . . it is a process throughout our life that we must overcome and endure to the end.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:37 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,428 times
Default The Lord is Risen!!!

Quote:
Then your seeking has been incomplete and insufficient. The composition of the CSF is the determinant of our emotional maturity and control over our drives. Supplementation of the composition with external substances is widely used to solve mental problems . . . but external supplementation (prescription drugs) only provide temporary changes that must be maintained externally. It is the inner rejection of the negative drives by our consciousness (Will) that makes permanent changes to the composition of the CSF (water of life). There is no magic involved. You are correct that our ability to access the Holy Spirit of Christ within our consciousness DOES provide a Spiritual support system to help us achieve the rejections when we are weakest. But it is our continued practice of control over our negative urges through "love of God and each other" that changes the composition of the "water of life" around the brain making it easier and easier to do.
There is no quick fix . . . it is a process throughout our life that we must overcome and endure to the end.
Shalom Mystic...now that makes complete sense! Practicing self-control over our negative desires is easiest if we have guidance in our youth, and this practice continues on into our adult lives. Accountability to each other, and ultimately to G-d is key, in order to keep an honest man honest. Great post!

Old 12-13-2011, 05:15 AM

531 posts, read 479,906 times
Quote:
Then your seeking has been incomplete and insufficient. The composition of the CSF is the determinant of our emotional maturity and control over our drives. Supplementation of the composition with external substances is widely used to solve mental problems . . . but external supplementation (prescription drugs) only provide temporary changes that must be maintained externally. It is the inner rejection of the negative drives by our consciousness (Will) that makes permanent changes to the composition of the CSF (water of life). There is no magic involved. You are correct that our ability to access the Holy Spirit of Christ within our consciousness DOES provide a Spiritual support system to help us achieve the rejections when we are weakest. But it is our continued practice of control over our negative urges through "love of God and each other" that changes the composition of the "water of life" around the brain making it easier and easier to do.
we are just gonna have to disagree about this. The more i think about it, the more it seems wrong. Not just because i want to be different... I'm open to change. I'm not the kind of person that can just "take your word for it". I need a little more foundation to believe something.

some will think you are brilliant. And you may be in your own way. But in this regard, we are divided. I've stated why i disagree... moving on.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:08 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Well let me say it another way... But before I do, I just want to say to everyone that I apologize to everyone. This avenue of communication is great in that it connects across great distances, but it is less efficient than face to face and it leads to protracted conversations that are easily derailed. So sorry.

Anyway, if we are commanded to repent and confess, and pray... Of we ate commanded to be baptized, how do we do it? Baptism in the holy spirit, that is...?
Baptism in the Holy Spirit is by God. He converts you by having you come to a realization of the desire for HIS Goodness. This brings you to performing and conforming to His Son. You see the Holy Spirit is the very BEING of the Father Himself (God). It is the putting on of His divine nature by embracing and performing Love of thy neighbor. So the submergence into His Spirit (Holy Spirit) is one that we should be doing henceforth. In the Hebrew Gospel of Matthew it says that the one that would come after John (Jesus) would baptize with the Fire of the Holy Spirit. Recall on Pentacost that the Apostles had received the Spirit but also evidence cloven tongues of fire upon each of them. You see this symbolizes the fire that is purifying each of us by that same Spirit.

The Lord says that He is a refiner's fire and as Fuller's soap. A refiners fire removes the dross from a metal such that what emerges from the fire is PURE. Fuller's soap is used to make a garment white. So the Lord is going to purify and make our garments white. This purification is by the Fire of the Holy Spirit. As we embrace the Holy Spirit we begin to put away our older desires in favor of His desires which are contrary to our own selfish nature.

So water baptism is just a type of this Holy Spirit baptism given as instruction to a mind of lesser Spiritual knowledge that it might obtain an understanding thereof. Jesus taught Spiritual things by using the earthly. When one focuses on embracing the earthly then they have errored as the Jews did. So look to the Spiritual in everything around you.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 AM

889 posts, read 825,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
That is an excellent question Katz. If one believes that babies must be baptized, then they must believe baptism washes sins away.

I would love to know how others on this thread view infant baptism. Why have your baby baptized if not to have sins forgiven? Is baby baptism an expression of the baby's faith?

Katie
Baptism is the entry into the new covenent and into the Body of Christ. It forgives the baby of original sin and puts an indelible mark on the babies soul that he or she belongs to Christ. Now the Holy Spirit can begin to do His work. Our Sacrament of Confirmation is your ordinance of baptism.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...why's everyone still talking aout this......I settled it......?
Uncomprehendable. Wow.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:44 PM

698 posts, read 648,066 times
Quote:
Okay... That's not what I'm asking. In the two accounts of spirit baptism... Why did it happen? Why were Cornelius' group the recipients of the spirit baptism?
Sorry, but I don't quite understand your question. Could you provide a bit more explanation.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
we are just gonna have to disagree about this. The more i think about it, the more it seems wrong. Not just because i want to be different... I'm open to change. I'm not the kind of person that can just "take your word for it". I need a little more foundation to believe something.

some will think you are brilliant. And you may be in your own way. But in this regard, we are divided. I've stated why i disagree... moving on.
No problem. Those who would believe in magic or rituals, or "easy believism" will reject the "We must DO" doctrine of Christ. A slow maturation over time overcoming our baser instincts with the help of Christ and enduring to the end is NOT the desirable path. Unfortunately, it is the one we must trod or face the consequences. We will reap what we sow. Peace.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:16 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,274,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.emm View Post
What a load of rubbish you people write! How do you know that Jesus (if he existed) did any of this? It's just a load of fairy tales. MEN wrote the Bible! Get that through your thick heads. No God dictated it. MEN wrote it. What proof do you have of a god, apart from the Bible. Give me one instance. Please!
Now now Miss Lizzy Emm.

If you want to believe there is no God, that's up to you, but in all honesty, you can't prove there isn't a God either. For that matter, how do you know there was a man named George Washington, the first prez? Men wrote history books. Maybe they lied. We have no absolute proof that he ever existed. Unless you were there?

My husband said to me the other day, "You can't prove a single thing in the Bible. It's all about faith." And that is really what it is all about. Faith. Either you've got it or you don't. I mean c'mon, how could anyone believe that Mary got pregnant and was still a virgin, or that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead? It goes against human reason and rationality. But to christians, they accept these things because they have faith. That's what it's all about.

There are many opinions about christian doctrine on this forum, but as far as I can tell, every single person on here believes in God and they believe the Bible is His word. Can I ask an honest question? Why does this bother you? I mean what does it matter?

I'm kinda wondering what your opinion is about what will happen to you after you kick the bucket? (lol, sometimes I crack myself up.) No really, I'm curious. Do you think your like Rover? Dead all over, after you die? I mean do you believe there is an afterlife?

One thing.....I know what your opinion is about the Bible, but I want you to know that I do believe it is the word of God, And for the record, Jesus did command us to be baptized (immersed in water) to have our sins washed away. Now I know I'll take a bunch of flak for that statement from our universalism and faith alone pals on this thread, but it's what the Bible says, and it's written in clear, plain and simple language.

From one old x catholic school girl to another,

Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity