Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,550,130 times

Advertisements

What if a person was born into a Catholic family? I understand that non-Catholic Christians believe we are to be baptised when we are adults and understand why we are being baptised.

If a former Catholic wanted to leave the Catholic church and practice non-Catholic Christianity would they need to be baptised a second time, as an adult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 05:27 AM

9,899 posts, read 1,282,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
What if a person was born into a Catholic family? I understand that non-Catholic Christians believe we are to be baptised when we are adults and understand why we are being baptised.

If a former Catholic wanted to leave the Catholic church and practice non-Catholic Christianity would they need to be baptised a second time, as an adult?
Yes because catholics are not baptized. They are sprinkled as infants. Infants are not capable of believing, and Jesus said, "He who BELIEVES and is baptized will be saved." So the person's baptism would be a first.

Katie

Old 12-08-2011, 05:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
It is recommended as an outward expression of their faith.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:08 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,036,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is such a unique opportunity I couldn't pass it up . . . trettep, Finn, Verna and I all agree about something! (even though there are significant differences among us).

Old 12-08-2011, 06:12 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,036,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
So.. I'm curious as well. I was officially baptized in 1948 in the High English Church in Canada (a sort of King James-modified Catholicism for the immigrunt masses, absent the unintelligible Latin parts...).

I'm now your very thorough and insistent atheist's Atheist. Big "A", small "a", I don't really care; religion's all super-sillious-ness to me now, after my years of careful and logical questioning. All while waiting patiently for God to answer my long-ago prayers and questions of the faith. Certainly my youth minister was absent and uninterested; indeed, deeply frustrated and furious about my impertinence.

But still, did that baptism "save me" from hell, with perhaps nothing more than a stern "father-son" talk when I arrive at The Gates in the next few years? After all, He did made me the cynical skeptic I have become, right?

Perhaps He simply made me to be but a a debater's "foil" simply to get dedicated Christian fundamentalist's blood heated up?
The ceremonious right of submerging (baptising) into a pool of water doesn't save anyone. We must be saved by having the Life of Jesus in us. If we have that life, we would be praising Him. God is Spirit and we must worship Him in Spirit. Earthly things and carnal washings cannot satisfy that requirement.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:06 AM

461 posts, read 481,196 times
Scripture tells us what we must do to enter the kingdom of God.But yes you must be baptized and carry out everything that the Lord has commanded.

"You've been told what is good and what the Lord requires of you, only to do what is right love goodness and walk humbly with the Lord your God".

"Faithfulness has disappeared, the word of God is gone from their speech".

"By your words you'll be forgiven or by your words you'll be condemned."

"Speak the truth to one another and let honesty and peace be in the judgments at your gate."

'All those who do right will rise to live."

"No one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and spirit.
No one can see the reign of god without being born from above."

Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 AM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is recommended as an outward expression of their faith.
I know that many Churches "recommend it as an outward expression of faith," but where does the Bible say this. Throughout the New Testament, baptism is not described as a recommendation but a commandment.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:49 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I know that many Churches "recommend it as an outward expression of faith," but where does the Bible say this. Throughout the New Testament, baptism is not described as a recommendation but a commandment.

I too see baptism as a commandment.

But where in the Bible does it say it should be performed for individuals who are specifically 8 years old or older?

Old 12-08-2011, 09:05 AM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
I too see baptism as a commandment.
Well, see... stick around long enough and you'll end up agreeing with pretty much everybody here on one thing or another.

Quote:
But where in the Bible does it say it should be performed for individuals who are specifically 8 years old or older?
It doesn't say that specifically, any more than it specifically says baptism should be performed for babies. What it does say is that those who are baptized should first of all be believers in Christ and that they should have recognized and repented of their sins. It would stand to reason that infants are not capable of either believing in Christ or repenting of their sins.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM

9,899 posts, read 1,282,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princely View Post
Scripture tells us what we must do to enter the kingdom of God.But yes you must be baptized and carry out everything that the Lord has commanded.

"You've been told what is good and what the Lord requires of you, only to do what is right love goodness and walk humbly with the Lord your God".

"Faithfulness has disappeared, the word of God is gone from their speech".

"By your words you'll be forgiven or by your words you'll be condemned."

"Speak the truth to one another and let honesty and peace be in the judgments at your gate."

'All those who do right will rise to live."

"No one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and spirit.
No one can see the reign of god without being born from above."
AMEN!

Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity