Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 09:06 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times

Advertisements

I honestly believe a lot of the confusion in this section stems from nonbelievers equating lukewarm Christians representing Christianity and transposing their actions on other Christians and making the assumption that all Christians must act like them. It is similar to how muslims are being viewed in this country after September 11th. All it takes is a few bad apples and instantly a group of people are casted based on the actions of a few. But I want to make clarification as to why this should not be the thinking for people on here and that there should be a separation of what true Christianity is and what others perceive it to be.

First let's start off with a few scriptures to illustrate the biblical perspective on this topic:

Matthew 22:14
Quote:
"For many are invited, but few are chosen."
Galatians 3:3-14
Quote:
Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?[a] 4 Have you experienced[b] so much in vain—if it really was in vain? 5 So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? 6 So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”[c] 7 Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. 8 Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.”[d] 9 So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.
10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”[e] 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.”[f] 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.”[g] 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.
John 14:15
Quote:
"If you love me, you will obey what I command."
Galatians 5:13
Quote:
13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh[a]; rather, serve one another humbly in love.
See it's really simple. Those that follow the commandments of God are truly Godly people who are not serving him because we are told to, but because we love God. When people do things contrary to what has been asked of you, then it is a reflection of their relationship with God. As the scripture stated, we are free to do what we want, but it is up to us to make the decision to follow God's word. Some do, some don't, some do it part of the time, some do it most of the time but we all get put together in one accord.

So how do you know, who is truly Godly?

Luke 6:44
Quote:
Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers
It's all about a matter of what fruit you bare. God never told us in that we should not judge. Often times, Matthew 7:1 (judge not lest ye be judged) is used as scripture to justify not judging someone, but it doesn't tell you not to judge. It's simply saying do not judge someone unless you want to be judge the same way. But what is interesting is we want people to judge us by our fruit all the time. When we are at work, we want people to know we are doing a good job, by what we produce. When we have families we want people to know how good a family we have by what our children do. So it's no different, if you aren't producing good fruit, then how can anyone believe you are a Christian?

An example of what I am talking about is a situation that happened in Chattanooga, TN at a Christian club, where there was a shooting that occurred on Christmas Eve. Now on the surface you look at this, as though this is a church who is using this club as an outreach ministry, but what is it producing? People getting shot, assaulted and even raped? You can even look at the flyer next to the article and you will see a scantily clad woman in one of the advertisements, standing in a very suggestive manner. What does that have to do with the Bible? Did God tell these individuals to do such a thing? These are individuals are no different than the world so, how does this equate to being Godly? Because they call themselves a church? If I called myself an accountant, does that make me one? How do you know I'm accountant? By the things that I do and the ability that I have to complete a job of an accountant. It's no different with Christianity. If I am truly in Christ then I have the capacity and the ability to be a Christian. So many will say that they are, but you should not based your views on what man does, but rather on what the word says. Some will follow the word, but it is up to us to decide to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I honestly believe a lot of the confusion in this section stems from nonbelievers equating lukewarm Christians representing Christianity and transposing their actions on other Christians and making the assumption that all Christians must act like them. It is similar to how muslims are being viewed in this country after September 11th. All it takes is a few bad apples and instantly a group of people are casted based on the actions of a few. But I want to make clarification as to why this should not be the thinking for people on here and that there should be a separation of what true Christianity is and what others perceive it to be.

First let's start off with a few scriptures to illustrate the biblical perspective on this topic:

See it's really simple. Those that follow the commandments of God are truly Godly people who are not serving him because we are told to, but because we love God. When people do things contrary to what has been asked of you, then it is a reflection of their relationship with God. As the scripture stated, we are free to do what we want, but it is up to us to make the decision to follow God's word. Some do, some don't, some do it part of the time, some do it most of the time but we all get put together in one accord.

It's all about a matter of what fruit you bare. God never told us in that we should not judge. Often times, Matthew 7:1 (judge not lest ye be judged) is used as scripture to justify not judging someone, but it doesn't tell you not to judge. It's simply saying do not judge someone unless you want to be judge the same way. But what is interesting is we want people to judge us by our fruit all the time. When we are at work, we want people to know we are doing a good job, by what we produce. When we have families we want people to know how good a family we have by what our children do. So it's no different, if you aren't producing good fruit, then how can anyone believe you are a Christian?

An example of what I am talking about is a situation that happened in Chattanooga, TN at a Christian club, where there was a shooting that occurred on Christmas Eve. Now on the surface you look at this, as though this is a church who is using this club as an outreach ministry, but what is it producing? People getting shot, assaulted and even raped? You can even look at the flyer next to the article and you will see a scantily clad woman in one of the advertisements, standing in a very suggestive manner. What does that have to do with the Bible? Did God tell these individuals to do such a thing? These are individuals are no different than the world so, how does this equate to being Godly? Because they call themselves a church? If I called myself an accountant, does that make me one? How do you know I'm accountant? By the things that I do and the ability that I have to complete a job of an accountant. It's no different with Christianity. If I am truly in Christ then I have the capacity and the ability to be a Christian. So many will say that they are, but you should not based your views on what man does, but rather on what the word says. Some will follow the word, but it is up to us to decide to do so.
Good post meatkins .

Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 PM

299 posts, read 262,866 times
Quote:

In Gal. 5:13 the word free is only referring to the relief afforded to those who have the faith to correctly obey a law which has been added to the Law.
Free in this case is the freedom from the curse of the written code of law which is eternal death by the faith of obeying the Law of the Spirit which has been added. There is actually no case of any man being free to do what he wants. That conjecture is an error.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Pray the Word Jesus promises or don`t pray Jesus Word of Promises .... put down those people with legalism or be obedient and pray for those in justices ......

Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxjonz View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned
How do you justify our actions not being made by ourselves? The scripture states, "You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh", why would a suggestion of not indulging in flesh be made if it's talking about the law? That makes no sense. If it was the law, then our actions would have nothing to do with the flesh. As a matter of fact, the fact that the scripture mentions flesh alone let's you know it is talking about our ability to control our actions. What other flesh could it possibly be talking about?

Last edited by june 7th; 01-05-2012 at 08:31 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM

299 posts, read 262,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Too bad for your wife...but thank God for the rest IF ! they do not listen to you... but you do not know that for sure...so you should stop teaching, period. until you have learned the truth.

God Bless you,
Verna.
It is recorded in Acts that some of the Lord's apostles had a simillar incident as this woman is presenting. Finally one of those men became feed up with her and cast a demon out of her. I dearly wish one of those fellows was around.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times
Quote:
I'm not a non-believer, but I wouldn't be considered a Christian anymore by mainstream Christians..

I do have an opinion on this though. I do not see "a few bad apples" in Christianity. I see too many. A lot of the atheists on these boards used to be Christians. They have seen firsthand how hypocritical "Christians" can be. I have seen it firsthand myself.

I do understand there are people out there who follow Jesus' teachings the way they are supposed to. Unfortunately, there are more who claim to be Christians, yet are rude, hypocritical, intolerant, and act holier than thou. Right here on CD, and out in the real world. Do I think they are "true Christians"? No...but they sure claim to be.

It's these people who do give Christianity a bad name. It's not just the people that give it a bad name. It's the bible itself.

As for the Muslims, I agree, we shouldn't think all of Islam is bad because of some psychos. I do have to say though, the majority of Muslims I have dealt with on here are easy to talk to, and aren't rude to you if you disagree with their beliefs.

Call out the rude, intolerant Christians on here and tell them they must not be a "true Christian" and see what happens.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I'm not a non-believer, but I wouldn't be considered a Christian anymore by mainstream Christians..

I do have an opinion on this though. I do not see "a few bad apples" in Christianity. I see too many. A lot of the atheists on these boards used to be Christians. They have seen firsthand how hypocritical "Christians" can be. I have seen it firsthand myself.

I do understand there are people out there who follow Jesus' teachings the way they are supposed to. Unfortunately, there are more who claim to be Christians, yet are rude, hypocritical, intolerant, and act holier than thou. Right here on CD, and out in the real world. Do I think they are "true Christians"? No...but they sure claim to be.

It's these people who do give Christianity a bad name. It's not just the people that give it a bad name. It's the bible itself.

As for the Muslims, I agree, we shouldn't think all of Islam is bad because of some psychos. I do have to say though, the majority of Muslims I have dealt with on here are easy to talk to, and aren't rude to you if you disagree with their beliefs.

Call out the rude, intolerant Christians on here and tell them they must not be a "true Christian" and see what happens.
Do you believe the actions of those individuals affect your walk and the way that you view Christianity?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:22 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times
Quote:
Do you believe the actions of those individuals affect your walk and the way that you view Christianity?
The way I view Christianity, yes.

Letting it affect my walk...maybe in the sense that, if I needed to talk to a Christian about a certain topic, would I go to those people? No way. I'd find the Christian that wasn't rude, wouldn't put me down if my belief was different from theirs, etc.

Letting it affect my walk with God...no. I am a grown woman and should not let any man affect my walk with Him. Like the people who use the excuse, I don't go to church because there are too many hypocrites there. Yes, there probably are too many hypocrites there, but why let them stop you from doing something?

However, I do have to say that if I was new to religion, and came to CD, then yes, the actions of some Christians on here would affect me negatively, and I may lean toward learning more about Islam, as the people are nicer and less judgmental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity