Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 09:37 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Umm,I'm studying with JW and they believe the Magi were sent to harm the baby Jesus.
They didn't get that from the bible. So I guess they just made it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 09:48 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
No,Magi means astrologers.
And since the astrologers followed the star(and hence God disproves of those kinds of things,like looking at stars to fortell the future).
They believe the star was put there by Satan,so the astrologers could follow it. They then would have notified Herod,who wanted to destroy Jesus. But God told them in a dream not to it,so they went another way.

Please,I'm new to this,forgive me of I'm wrong. But the way they explain it makes sense.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:06 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
No,Magi means astrologers.
And since the astrologers followed the star(and hence God disproves of those kinds of things,like looking at stars to fortell the future).
They believe the star was put there by Satan,so the astrologers could follow it. They then would have notified Herod,who wanted to destroy Jesus. But God told them in a dream not to it,so they went another way.

Please,I'm new to this,forgive me of I'm wrong. But the way they explain it makes sense.
Satan put a star in the sky? God made the stars. So I find that hard to believe. I'm not arguing with you, just giving you my "take". I'm not so sure God disapproves of looking at the stars, though it has been told me all my life. I think a lot of things attributed to God and his disapproval are made up by folks who think God is pretty much against everything. Not that I'm into astrology. But I do think astronomy is very fascinating and I love watching documentaries about the formation and life of stars and planets. It's incredible how many stars and planets there are - mind-blowing to contemplate the vastness of it.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:34 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Umm,I'm studying with JW and they believe the Magi were sent to harm the baby Jesus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
They didn't get that from the bible. So I guess they just made it up?
You will not gain the truth from reliance on JW teaching.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
All Catholics that go to mass know that the church Xmas trees are in up for the Epiphany or Three Kings Day (Trés Reyes Magos in Spanish). I keep my Xmas lights till Jan 6.
Well, other liturgical churches do as well, such as the Lutherans and Episcopalians. But, yes.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, other liturgical churches do as well, such as the Lutherans and Episcopalians. But, yes.
Thanks. I'm Episcopalian. To us, Christmas is a season, not just a day, same as in Catholicism, and it doesn't end until Epiphany.

There's still a Christmas tree in my church basement, however. We offer our building to a very small Russian Orthodox community in the neighborhood for their use. Because they are on the other calendar, Christmas was a little more than a week ago, and Epiphany isn't until January 19th this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity