Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 02:27 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times

Advertisements

It wasn't until high school that I learned Catholics were considered to be relatively unusual in the U.S. (I just assumed we were like any other division of Christianity). I then learned a little about Martin Luther and his belief that Christians should work in order to please God. Besides that last bit, and various small differences such as Protestants not kneeling in church and not displaying statues in their churches, how else do Protestants differ from Catholics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 03:44 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Although we share much, we're different in several ways.

The Protestant Old Testament is, I believe, basically the Rabbinic canon of the Tanakh. We Catholics use something closer to the Septuagint of Hellenistic Jews. So our Bible contains the following books: Tobit, Judith, Maccabees I & II, Wisdom, Sirach, and Baruch.

Relational the Protestant numbering, exempting the Lutherans, of the Ten Commandments goes by what's apparently called "The Philonic." In this false gods and idolatry are separate commandments while coveting (neighbor's goods or wife) is all the same commandment. Catholicism goes by the "Augustinian" where false gods and idolatry are one commandment while coveting is two with sexual/romantic coveting as separate from coveting goods.

Catholicism has seven sacraments. Exempting Anglicanism, which is arguably not Protestant anyway, Protestantism usually has fewer sacraments or sees the sacraments in a different way.

Catholicism believes in the value of tradition, conciliar judgments, and "right reason." (The last is a difference with Orthodoxy as their theologians usually prefer mystical experience above reason or study) Protestantism generally recognizes the Bible-alone as the sole source of doctrine or dogma.

Catholicism considers the Pope to be the successor of Peter and leader of the faith. Protestantism, and Orthodoxy, reject this idea.

Catholicism believes that people who only have lesser, venal, sins on their soul will be purified after death in Purgatory and that our prayers aid them. Protestantism, and Orthodoxy, rejects this notion. (Some Orthodox believe in a kind of middle-place, but prayers for the dead offer comfort and nothing else)

Catholicism believes in the "intercession of saints", that people in Heaven can and will pray for you. Protestantism rejects that. (I'm not sure what Orthodoxy feels on it)

Catholicism consider Mother Mary to be "Blessed" and to have consented to what occurred. Also that she lacked original sin and stayed a virgin for life. Protestantism varies on this, but usually does not see Mary as quite so exceptional. Some note Bible verses that could seem to imply Mary had kids after Jesus and that she was critical of him. (Orthodox ideas on Mary are similar to Catholicism though their view of "ancestral sin" is slightly different than "original sin" and Orthodox art tends not to display Mary without Jesus whereas Catholics will do "stand-alone" paintings of Mary)

Catholicism believes in the value of chaste/celibate life. Protestantism sometimes accepts that, Taize or the Shakers or the "New Montasticism", but I think tends to feel celibacy is an extremely rare thing for unusual people. Some Puritans went so far as to discourage celibacy as "Catholic."

Catholicism sees the Gospel pronouncements on marriage as meaning divorce and remarriage are not allowed. Protestants tend to feel it's allowed in cases of adultery and some allow it for far more situations than that. (Orthodox feel it's allowed, but I've heard you must "repent" of a failed marriage before remarrying and that you can't remarry more than 2-3 times or something)

Catholicism believes in the value of "good works." Protestantism emphasizes "faith alone", which leads to works.

Catholicism places somewhat more emphasis on the Crucifixion than Protestantism or, to an extent, Orthodoxy. Crucifixes are usually, but not always, Catholic. Protestants have "empty crosses" as, I believe, symbolizing the Resurrection.

Catholicism, and Orthodoxy, believe the Eucharist actually is the Body and Blood of Christ. Protestantism does not, though Lutherans do see Eucharist as "Communion" with God. I don't know how to explain it, but I think Lutherans feel it is "with" the Eucharist and that the Eucharist is in some sense simultaneously "Body and Blood" and "Bread and Wine."

As I'm Catholic I'm trying to "be fair" and avoid making these descriptions biased toward Catholicism, but you'll have to judge if I succeeded. Also there are, sadly, many Catholics who essentially reject every area where Catholicism is different than Protestantism. I've also seen a few Protestants emphasize "High Church" things like Marian hymns, calendars of saints, etc that could seem "Catholic."

Old 01-14-2012, 05:31 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Instead of looking for differences in doctrines ; see the similar doctrines of these church foundations which come from Lord Jesus Christ; as one Lord One baptism, one faith, as one body of Christ, which Christianity is based and people who come from these body of Believers will be accepted in the life and spirit of the living God ..... In the heart of the Lord sees the Catholic church is blessed with the love and heart of the Lord were the fruit of the spirit can be full of life .....In the heart of the Lord for the Protestant church as the drive and ambition or motivation for Heaven purposes

Old 01-14-2012, 07:35 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Some Protestants do not think Catholics rare Christians, but I think this is mostly ignorance.

Protestants will not sing any of the Ave Marias in church.

Some Protestants think it is blasphemy to ask Virgin Mary to pray for us.

Otherwise, they both believe in salvation through Jesus Christ.

Tradition is of much greater importance in Catholicism.

Protestants do not take communion regularly.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:37 AM

889 posts, read 825,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
It wasn't until high school that I learned Catholics were considered to be relatively unusual in the U.S. (I just assumed we were like any other division of Christianity). I then learned a little about Martin Luther and his belief that Christians should work in order to please God. Besides that last bit, and various small differences such as Protestants not kneeling in church and not displaying statues in their churches, how else do Protestants differ from Catholics?
Here's a major one Thomas missed:

The Catholic Church was created by Jesus Christ. The Orthodox ChurchES were created by Christ. Protestant denominations were created by MEN.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post

The Catholic Church was created by Jesus Christ. The Orthodox ChurchES were created by Christ. Protestant denominations were created by MEN.
The Apostolic Succession is a huge difference.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:15 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post

I was trying to avoid controversy. I worried if I sounded too biased I'd start an unnecessary fight. Although my initial worry of sounding "too biased" toward Catholicism led to, once I read it, a worry that I'd over-corrected and that it came out biased against Catholicism.

Like I think it's good we don't use the Rabbinic canon of the Old Testament. The Rabbinic canon isn't necessarily older and besides which history would seem to indicate the early Christians used something more like the Septuagint. Our oldest Christian Bibles are more like the Catholic and Orthodox than they are the Protestant. Also some arguments I've seen with Jewish people note how the wording of prophecies in the Rabbinic Tanakh doesn't agree with things said in the Gospels. Protestants sometimes aren't sure what to say to that, we wouldn't need to as much as elements of the Rabbinic canon post-date Christ and isn't what we use.

I agree with how we number the Ten Commandments. Along with other things it avoids placing women and property as in the same area of things.

The Gospels emphasize a willingness to move beyond clan and to place what's right above your family. So some instances of Jesus doing that, even with Mary, fit the message. However Mary was revered among the early Christians, the "Hail Mary" is taken from the Gospel of Luke, and in the Gospel of John she is treated in a loving manner.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:17 AM

889 posts, read 825,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I was trying to avoid controversy. I worried if I sounded too biased I'd start an unnecessary fight. Although my initial worry of sounding "too biased" toward Catholicism led to, once I read it, a worry that I'd over-corrected and that it came out biased against Catholicism.

Like I think it's good we don't use the Rabbinic canon of the Old Testament. The Rabbinic canon isn't necessarily older and besides which history would seem to indicate the early Christians used something more like the Septuagint. Our oldest Christian Bibles are more like the Catholic and Orthodox than they are the Protestant. Also some arguments I've seen with Jewish people note how the wording of prophecies in the Rabbinic Tanakh doesn't agree with things said in the Gospels. Protestants sometimes aren't sure what to say to that, we wouldn't need to as much as elements of the Rabbinic canon post-date Christ and isn't what we use.

I agree with how we number the Ten Commandments. Along with other things it avoids placing women and property as in the same area of things.

The Gospels emphasize a willingness to move beyond clan and to place what's right above your family. So some instances of Jesus doing that, even with Mary, fit the message. However Mary was revered among the early Christians, the "Hail Mary" is taken from the Gospel of Luke, and in the Gospel of John she is treated in a loving manner.
I thought you did great. Keep up the good work.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Although we share much, we're different in several ways.

The Protestant Old Testament is, I believe, basically the Rabbinic canon of the Tanakh. We Catholics use something closer to the Septuagint of Hellenistic Jews. So our Bible contains the following books: Tobit, Judith, Maccabees I & II, Wisdom, Sirach, and Baruch.

Relational the Protestant numbering, exempting the Lutherans, of the Ten Commandments goes by what's apparently called "The Philonic." In this false gods and idolatry are separate commandments while coveting (neighbor's goods or wife) is all the same commandment. Catholicism goes by the "Augustinian" where false gods and idolatry are one commandment while coveting is two with sexual/romantic coveting as separate from coveting goods.

Catholicism has seven sacraments. Exempting Anglicanism, which is arguably not Protestant anyway, Protestantism usually has fewer sacraments or sees the sacraments in a different way.

Catholicism believes in the value of tradition, conciliar judgments, and "right reason." (The last is a difference with Orthodoxy as their theologians usually prefer mystical experience above reason or study) Protestantism generally recognizes the Bible-alone as the sole source of doctrine or dogma.

Catholicism considers the Pope to be the successor of Peter and leader of the faith. Protestantism, and Orthodoxy, reject this idea.

Catholicism believes that people who only have lesser, venal, sins on their soul will be purified after death in Purgatory and that our prayers aid them. Protestantism, and Orthodoxy, rejects this notion. (Some Orthodox believe in a kind of middle-place, but prayers for the dead offer comfort and nothing else)

Catholicism believes in the "intercession of saints", that people in Heaven can and will pray for you. Protestantism rejects that. (I'm not sure what Orthodoxy feels on it)

Catholicism consider Mother Mary to be "Blessed" and to have consented to what occurred. Also that she lacked original sin and stayed a virgin for life. Protestantism varies on this, but usually does not see Mary as quite so exceptional. Some note Bible verses that could seem to imply Mary had kids after Jesus and that she was critical of him. (Orthodox ideas on Mary are similar to Catholicism though their view of "ancestral sin" is slightly different than "original sin" and Orthodox art tends not to display Mary without Jesus whereas Catholics will do "stand-alone" paintings of Mary)

Catholicism believes in the value of chaste/celibate life. Protestantism sometimes accepts that, Taize or the Shakers or the "New Montasticism", but I think tends to feel celibacy is an extremely rare thing for unusual people. Some Puritans went so far as to discourage celibacy as "Catholic."

Catholicism sees the Gospel pronouncements on marriage as meaning divorce and remarriage are not allowed. Protestants tend to feel it's allowed in cases of adultery and some allow it for far more situations than that. (Orthodox feel it's allowed, but I've heard you must "repent" of a failed marriage before remarrying and that you can't remarry more than 2-3 times or something)

Catholicism believes in the value of "good works." Protestantism emphasizes "faith alone", which leads to works.

Catholicism places somewhat more emphasis on the Crucifixion than Protestantism or, to an extent, Orthodoxy. Crucifixes are usually, but not always, Catholic. Protestants have "empty crosses" as, I believe, symbolizing the Resurrection.

Catholicism, and Orthodoxy, believe the Eucharist actually is the Body and Blood of Christ. Protestantism does not, though Lutherans do see Eucharist as "Communion" with God. I don't know how to explain it, but I think Lutherans feel it is "with" the Eucharist and that the Eucharist is in some sense simultaneously "Body and Blood" and "Bread and Wine."

As I'm Catholic I'm trying to "be fair" and avoid making these descriptions biased toward Catholicism, but you'll have to judge if I succeeded. Also there are, sadly, many Catholics who essentially reject every area where Catholicism is different than Protestantism. I've also seen a few Protestants emphasize "High Church" things like Marian hymns, calendars of saints, etc that could seem "Catholic."
I think this is a good and balanced explanation. Most in the Anglican Communion indeed considers itself the 'third way' between Catholicism and Protestantism.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:14 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,931,619 times
I think The Catholics gave us
The Father, Son and Holy Spirit (3) as One.

Instead, Jesus said 'I and The Father Are One'.
Two are One. Not 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity