Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,276,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh:: Deleted by Mystic.
Mystic,

Please don't misunderstand. I posted you and afterwards realized I was commenting on your post to Julian which I hadn't read. I realized it after I submitted the post. That's why I deleted. Nothing personal. Sorry about that.

Kate

Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Jesus, Peter, Paul and others quoted from the Old Testament often. Do you think they viewed it the way you do?

With all due respect, may I ask you how much of the Bible you have actually read? All of the OT? Some? Very little? A quote here and there? What about the NT? I'm wondering how you came by such a negative view of the Bible. Again, I ask respectfully.

Kate
Katie:

You know Catholicism well. I only read from the bible whenever is read during mass. The priest reads one of the gospels. Two readers the OT and NT and there is a responsorial psalm. I don't recall that they read the unsavory stuff from the OT.

The daily mass bible readings are the same in all the Catholic churches of the world and they are listed here.

Thirty-First Sunday in Ordinary Time

Our priests tend to do much more philosophy than old time preaching.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,276,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Katie:

You know Catholicism well. I only read from the bible whenever is read during mass. The priest reads one of the gospels. Two readers the OT and NT and there is a responsorial psalm. I don't recall that they read the unsavory stuff from the OT.

The daily mass bible readings are the same in all the Catholic churches of the world and they are listed here.

Thirty-First Sunday in Ordinary Time

Our priests tend to do much more philosophy than old time preaching.
Moderator cut: delete For me, I love reading it. It's funny how I can read the same book or passages over and over, and every time I do, I discover something new I'd never noticed before. There are so many layers in God's word. If you never do another thing for yourself as long as you live, get yourself a Bible and at the very least, read one of the four gospels. My personal favorite is John.

God Bless,

Katie

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-20-2012 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: insulting and a bit attacking..

Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Moderator cut: delete For me, I love reading it. It's funny how I can read the same book or passages over and over, and every time I do, I discover something new I'd never noticed before. There are so many layers in God's word. If you never do another thing for yourself as long as you live, get yourself a Bible and at the very least, read one of the four gospels. My personal favorite is John.

God Bless,

Katie
My daughters had extensive Bible studies in Catholic High School, but it was done from an academic point of view. They also studied all other religions. As an elective one of my kids had history of the Catholic Church and they included ALL the bad parts of church history. Catholicism has come a long way since the old days.

What I know about John is that it is the oldest gospel and may have been written by a disciple of John. I may read the NT from cover to cover one of these days.

BTW, one of my daughters got married to a Quaker and they worship in a very simple building with no religious ornamentation and no minister. They even get married without the minister and simply say wedding vows to each other. My kids are very open minded.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:41 PM

33 posts, read 40,346 times
There is one explanation that makes sense to me that I will never forget why many catholics pray to Moderator cut: delete Mary. Remember the very first miracle of Jesus in wedding of canaan? turning water into wine? HE is not supposed to do that yet(perform miracles) as HE clearly told her, but Jesus can't say NO to HIS mom.

So it's like if you pray your request to her, and she will help your request be mediated to Jesus or something like that. Jesus can't say NO to your request. lol.

Plus, if Moderator cut: delete Mary said no to God's proposition of virgin birth... then the plan for salvation won't come to be since Jesus won't be given birth... isn't it? She gave birth to our Savior.

Having said that, when I pray, I pray directly to God the father, always, for some reason.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-22-2012 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: deleted "mama" it is sarcastic and rude

Old 02-20-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstead View Post
There is one explanation that makes sense to me that I will never forget why many catholics pray to Mama Mary. Remember the very first miracle of Jesus in wedding of canaan? turning water into wine? HE is not supposed to do that yet(perform miracles) as HE clearly told her, but Jesus can't say NO to HIS mom.

So it's like if you pray your request to her, and she will help your request be mediated to Jesus or something like that. Jesus can't say NO to your request. lol.

Plus, if Mama Mary said no to God's proposition of virgin birth... then the plan for salvation won't come to be since Jesus won't be given birth... isn't it?

Having said that, when I pray, I pray directly to God the father, always, for some reason.
The virgin completes the religious experience and brings a woman into the equation. How can anyone say no to the Virgin Mary? It is not possible to deny the blessed mother of God.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
Julian confirmed what has been a suspicion of mine for years. That the ultimate goal of Rome is to unite all Christians, and maybe all religions under its headship. Such is its arogance.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The virgin completes the religious experience and brings a woman into the equation. How can anyone say no to the Virgin Mary? It is not possible to deny the blessed mother of God.
Mary was the mother of the Son of Man/flesh but not the Son of God/God. Son of God has no begining and no end and as such created His own mother. All things were made by Him. As the mother of Jesus she was blessed and should be called blessed as an example to all who would be followers of God.

MT 12:47 "Then one said unto him, Behold, Your mother and Your brethren stand without, desiring to speak with you.
MT 12:48 But He answered and said unto him that told Him, Who is My mother? and who are my brethren?
MT 12:49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold My mother and my brethren!
MT 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is My brother, and sister, and mother."

Those who do the will of God are equal to Mary in Gods' eyes. They are blessed with her.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Julian confirmed what has been a suspicion of mine for years. That the ultimate goal of Rome is to unite all Christians, and maybe all religions under its headship. Such is its arogance.
I don't understand what's wrong with that. I have no interest in converting to Catholicism, but the fact of the matter is that Jesus Christ established one Church, not many. I'm sure he would like it very much if Christians were more unified than they are right now.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,686,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't understand what's wrong with that. I have no interest in converting to Catholicism, but the fact of the matter is that Jesus Christ established one Church, not many. I'm sure he would like it very much if Christians were more unified than they are right now.
The different sects and denominations aren't the church. The believers are the church. I consider all believers to be "the church" regardless of their denomination or sect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity