Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,274,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
TwoWitnesses;23165225]
The passages you've listed nowhere say specifically that God doesn't communicate with us through The Holy Spirit. It's just an assumption. And nowhere in scripture does it ever say that scripture is all we need.
What does "that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work" mean to you? If that's not specific enough for you, then nothing I can say will matter.

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Quote:
And
Quote:
if the Holy Spirit doesn't communicate with men anymore...then why this passage (which you have yet to acknowledge), from my first post on this thread:

A) Matthew 10:19 "When they deliver you over, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour"

This is a personal revelation (of what to say during persecution), no?

B) Mark 13:11 "Whenever you are arrested and brought to trial, do not worry beforehand about what to say. Just say whatever is given you at the time, for it is not you speaking, but the Holy Spirit

Jesus is speaking specifically to the apostles. The apostles were inspired men. YOU are not inspired. The Holy Spirit has no private, personal message for you.

I believe you are a very sincere person and believe that God is giving you personal revelations, but there are no scriptures to support this belief.

Quote:
You mentioned that John 15:15 states that Jesus made all the things known to his apostles, that he received from His Father...and he did...but they weren't all included in the Bible!!!

This is shown in John 21:25 which states that "Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written."
Don't you think that if the things not written in the book were important for us to know that the Holy Spirit would have included them?

Again, what part of "that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work" don't you accept?

You brought this topic up in my thread, "Should We Read The Bible." I told you I didn't want to discuss it there because it was off topic.

I have debated this topic more times than I can count, and I've come to the conclusion that nothing I can say to a charismatic person such as yourself will ever matter. If you can't accept what 2 Tim. 3:14-17 says, then all I can say is, believe what you will.

Like I said before, we will give an account for our words and deeds, not for what we believe.

See you in another thread, hopefully, one where we can agree with one another.

God Bless,

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 PM

817 posts, read 739,849 times
Dont worry about it K atie.

Anyone who would say to another Christian "YOU are not inspired" is someone i probably shouldnt be talking to. Speak for yourself maybe?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:59 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Moderator cut: delete
And there is nothing more enjoyable to me then too encourage, spur-on, and to rejoice with and agreeing with those who God has illuminate His word, His truth in a personal revelation in their lives who love the Lord Jesus with all their heart, soul and mind and teach and share it with other's.... amen !!

It makes a heart (especially mine) exceedingly happy with those who want to share, spread the word in testifying their personal revelations of the wisdom of God.....
We are truly blessed with those with great joy in learning the truths of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ, amen..... it makes the heart want to sing, rejoice... and encourage them....

Psalm 89:15-17
15 Blessed are the people who know the joyful sound!
They walk, O Lord, in the light of Your countenance.
16 In Your name they rejoice all day long,
And in Your righteousness they are exalted.
17 For You are the glory of their strength,
And in Your favor our horn is exalted.

Acts 15:30-32
30 So when they were sent off, they came to Antioch; and when they had gathered the multitude together, they delivered the letter.
31 When they had read it, they rejoiced over its encouragement.
32 Now Judas and Silas, themselves being prophets also, exhorted and strengthened the brethren with many words.

Col.2:2-3
2 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, and attaining to all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, both of the Father and of Christ,
3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-28-2012 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: please don't answer a post you are reporting sometimes it leads to two infractions one for each poster..

Old 02-28-2012, 01:57 PM

Here's an excerpt from an article online about CESSATIONISM:

"Cessationism is the false doctrine that the manifestations of miraculous endowments such as those listed in 1 Corinthians 12 have ceased since the days of the apostles and the completion of the Bible.

Although there is no biblical evidence for this position, a main motive for this invention is to secure the sufficiency of Scripture and the finality (completion) of Scripture. However, it has been shown that the continuation of miraculous manifestations does not in fact contradict these two doctrines or put them at risk. Thus cessationism is both unbiblical and unnecessary.

More than that, cessationism is also evil and dangerous. This is because if cessationism is false, then those who advocate this doctrine are preaching rebellion against the Lord. (that means you shouldn't push this unbiblical belief on other people!)

The Bible commands Christians, "Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy" (1 Corinthians 14:1). If cessationism is correct but we do not know it, then we could still safely obey this instruction, although we will not receive what we desire."

Those who do not think they possess spiritual gifts would do better to improve their relationship with the Lord so they can attain them, rather than trying to insult or undermine the faith of those people who have them and feel that these gifts come from God. Projecting your jealously or envy on people who seem to have experiences you do not have (or do not yet havE) or being intentionally closed-minded isn't the answer.

I do, howver, feel that there are a handful of seemingly supernatural experiences that I've had that are hard to interpret. Synchronicity has followed me much of my adult life, and though most of the things that have happened are very reassuring, some of them are downright creepy, and some of them have made me feel that there may be a type of "supernatural harassment" going on. I'm open-minded enough to consider the opinions of those who might tell me that some of those things maybe didn't come from God (though many I know did!)

(As the book of John says...we must "test the spirits.")

I think I will start a thread on the main Theology board soon on this topic...to open-mindedly see what people (Christians and non-Christians alike) think of the things that have happened...and to see what similar experiences others have had.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Moderator cut: delete
And there is nothing more enjoyable to me then too encourage, spur-on, and to rejoice with and agreeing with those who God has illuminate His word, His truth in a personal revelation in their lives who love the Lord Jesus with all their heart, soul and mind and teach and share it with other's.... amen !!

It makes a heart (especially mine) exceedingly happy with those who want to share, spread the word in testifying their personal revelations of the wisdom of God.....
We are truly blessed with those with great joy in learning the truths of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ, amen..... it makes the heart want to sing, rejoice... and encourage them....

Psalm 89:15-17
15 Blessed are the people who know the joyful sound!
They walk, O Lord, in the light of Your countenance.
16 In Your name they rejoice all day long,
And in Your righteousness they are exalted.
17 For You are the glory of their strength,
And in Your favor our horn is exalted.

Acts 15:30-32
30 So when they were sent off, they came to Antioch; and when they had gathered the multitude together, they delivered the letter.
31 When they had read it, they rejoiced over its encouragement.
32 Now Judas and Silas, themselves being prophets also, exhorted and strengthened the brethren with many words.

Col.2:2-3
2 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, and attaining to all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, both of the Father and of Christ,
3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Very nice!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
What does "that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work" mean to you? If that's not specific enough for you, then nothing I can say will matter.

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
This is the danger of reading English words as if their meaning is the appropriate one.

2 Timothy 3:17 King James Version (KJV)

17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

The word in bold is artios = fitted, a special aptitude for given purpose. It does not mean complete . . . as in nothing else is needed as you are inferring, katie. Also the word profitable in verse 16 is ōphelimos = useful, of advantage . . . it does not mean infallible or inerrant.
Quote:
Jesus is speaking specifically to the apostles. The apostles were inspired men. YOU are not inspired. The Holy Spirit has no private, personal message for you.
None of the Holy Spirit's guidance or "messages" are private, katie . . . they are always for everyone.
Quote:
I believe you are a very sincere person and believe that God is giving you personal revelations, but there are no scriptures to support this belief.
It is sad that you have not yet met our personal God through His Holy Spirit, katie. I cannot explain this . . . other than perhaps it is a fear or mistrust of what is in your own heart that has been fostered by the "precepts and doctrines of men." As long as you try to relate to God through words "written in ink" instead of what God has "written in our hearts" you are missing out. A deep personal relationship is only possible when God has reached your inner heart . . . not your mind or intellect.

Christ literally lives and abides with us. I had no relationship or interest in God for years and I was not searching for Him either. He found me in deep meditation and my life has never been the same since. He lives and abides with us and it is indisputable. We have the Living Word of God available to all of us today guiding us to truth.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I am so glad that my growing belief, my faith, my knowing God and my seeking and searching, that my spiritual eyes and ears are not closed when my bible is closed.

Even John said that the things Jesus said could never be contained in all the writings (books) in the world

I rely on the Holy Spirit above and beyond the scriptures now days..
I have spent years of studying the bible and there came a time to move beyond and listen to the One within who was given to us to continue to comfort, guide and teach us beyond scripture..That is what I see as a personal relationship with him, to help me deal with and overcome my personal struggles in this life..

He gives me wisdom and comfort when I need it and guidance when I fail.

jmho

Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the good part about failure. if u train with the best, even if you are the worst, u r still better than most
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity