Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:01 AM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Have sex anytime you want.
I don't believe God or anybody else really cares.
(I'm not talking adultery, but IMO, people don't need to be cheating on each other.)
I believe God cares about everything we do.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 09-18-2007 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: left out word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:26 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
If a person thinks sexual gratification is going to be a problem (and I dont know how they would know these things before hand) dont get involved with him (or her) in the first place. Problem solved.
I can agree with this, to a point. When a couple is contemplating marriage, all matters should be discussed openly and any issues should be resolved prior to heading down the aisle. It is better to determine if two people are incompatible before they even say "I do" than after. This goes for sex, having/not having children, money matters, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Power Surge, I underlined the text I'll comment on.

We know whats wrong or whats right, and Im not being biased here..

No Power Surge, somebody who doesn't know the truth God gave us, also doesn't know what's wrong and what's right, but God only knows right and wrong, and fornication is simply wrong, and there's no excuse for it. When someone stands infront of God to be judged, explaining it to the Lord just won't spare them from judgement. You can test drive a car before buying it, but it doesn't work that way when it comes to marriage.

..that your wife/husband cant fulfill you sexual needs??

Basing marriage solely on "sexual desires" and how well the significant other can please them, is asking for disaster. There are many legitimate reasons for 2 people to get married, and the need for sex should not be at the top of the list. There's nothing wrong with sensuality between 2 married people, but it's only one of the elements for both people to prove their committment to each other.
I can agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I thought your entire post on this was very good, mams, but I particularly wanted to highlight this part. I think this is possibly a real problem for the church, not just the world in general, because we have become so saturated with the world's thinking that pre-marital sex is OK, normal and even to be expected. And it's been this way for some time. Is it any wonder when our kids (Christian kids) believe it?

I think some of the focus on abstinence has helped. I think some of the church programs like True Love Waits has possibly helped at least begin to counter this culturally accepted idea of sex outside marriage.

Okay, kaykay will step off her soapbox now!
How true it is that the church has adopted a more worldly mindset in light of the admonision given by the Word not to do so. It saddens me that "Christian" marriages end in divorce just as frequently as "non-Christian" marriages. That should not be the case. The church does need to step up and teach the biblical principles of love and marriage and respect for ones self so Christians are aware of what is expected of them and that marriage is nothing to be entered into lightly. And neither is sexual relations before marriage something that is without consequence or ramification and cannot be considered something casual. I agree, the church needs to do more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The question was "Can a Christian have sex.....?" Of course they can. However, maybe the question should be "Should a Christian WANT to have sex outside of wedlock?" The answer to that should be no, no, no.

<snip>

Who bears the greater sin? The one that commits adultery, or the one that neglects the other?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Very good points. Some people say that marriage is a 50-50 partnership. I think it's more than that- it should be 100-100. Each one giving their all, not just trying to meet the half-way mark and stopping there. If course, this is probably idealistic, but maybe something we could at least work toward. Some days my wife may do "more than her share" some days it may be my turn.. however, if we're truly one, and love our partner like ourself, it's not a sacrifice.
Padgett, I agree completely with your opening statement. And I think cg81 gave a very good response. Let me just add that they're both equally guilty. Neglect in a marriage, IMO, is more problematic and may lead to more infidelity, but usually you don't have one without the other. They're putting themselves first and not their spouse. I think simply doing that, putting your spouse before you in all things and thinking about them and their feelings before making and decision or doing any action, would go a tremendos way in keeping marriages healthy and happy and sustainable.

We are told in the Bible to love one another as we love ourselves. This goes the same for marriage. Husbands are to love their wives as Christ loves the church. Can you imagine how much love that is?? If only more couples would follow these two simple instructions.....

As far as having sex outside marriage, I think it is a shame. I know it happens. I'm not blind. But just think about how many social ills result from this behavior. No, I'm not blaming all ills solely on this one issue, but it is a major contributor to many problems. Sure, in the short term it can be pleasing and gratifying to a person/couple but that's the flesh talking... not the spirit.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:31 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Can a Christian? Yes.

May a Christian? No.

Do Christians? Yes.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:05 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Can a Christian? Yes.

May a Christian? No.

Do Christians? Yes.
Do "Christians?" Yes. Do Christians? No.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:18 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Do "Christians?" Yes. Do Christians? No.
Confused.. you say they don't?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:40 PM

29 posts, read 56,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Sex outside of marriage is considered fornication, a sin, and when somebody asks for forgiveness by accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior, they have to be sincere about their repentence of past sins, and forgiveness does not give anyone the right to go back to a sinful lifestyle, then ask for forgiveness again, God doesn't work that way because he knows your motives and how sincere you are.

that pretty much answers it. NO, they shouldnt have sex/baby out of wedlock, but it happens. and if you want to make it right, repent with a sincere heart to be forgiven and dont do it again. ok you had a baby. that doesnt mean you can keep having sex.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Just for the sake of discussion, let me throw this out.

We are seeing more and more older couples where both are unmarried for one reason or another, that do not want to get married again, or cannot because of pension plans, etc. and there is no chance for children. Is it still sinful for them to indulge in sex outside of marriage? And Yes, old folks do have sex

Old 09-18-2007, 01:41 PM

But Kay, God gave them those sexual urges, didn't He? Just like He gave the urge to seek warmth and food and comfort. It's an urge that stays important. It may have been to insure procreation, but the drive to have sex, lasts a lot longer than the ability to have children.

Is it just possible that He was prohibiting any sex that was endangering the marriage bonds?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:45 PM

I'm confused, I could have sworn that there was another post between my last two? Can you delete a post and it completly disappears?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:47 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I'm confused, I could have sworn that there was another post between my last two? Can you delete a post and it completly disappears?
Yes, Padgett, I deleted it! Sorry to confuse you! I just decided I had spouted off enough today and it's one of those days when it seems like everything I say makes someone mad even when it seems innocuous to me!

So ...yes, I said I didn't think age made any difference in a scriptural prohibition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity