Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 04:54 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Taking someone's life is forcing yourself on them?

That's news to me. I'd say keep that in that thread, sure doesn't apply here....
You honestly don't see how taking someone's life is forcing yourself on them? It is the epitome of forcing yourself on someone.

Also.. I'm using the scripture as an example to your claim that God doesn't force himself on anyone so I don't see why it wouldn't belong here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 05:01 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
You honestly don't see how taking someone's life is forcing yourself on them? It is the epitome of forcing yourself on someone.

Also.. I'm using the scripture as an example to your claim that God doesn't force himself on anyone so I don't see why it wouldn't belong here.
So these kids were believers then?

Because that's what this thread is about.

Are we predestined to all be believers or do we have free-will to decide if we believe?

Ah....forget it bigthirsty.

Your biblical interpretive skills never cease to amaze me.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:03 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,146,555 times
Quote:
Sure, but the one thing God doesn't do is force Himself on anyone.
Alpha, what does this mean?

Quote:
"For it is written, as I live, says the Lord. Every knee shall bow to Me and every tongue
shall give praise to God."
Do you think that it is wrong for God to force His will on us? Is this good or evil? When we submit or surrender to sin as opposed to submitting or surrendering to God, doesn't this mean that one is having a greater influence on our wills?

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 10-11-2007 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: quotes, clarification

Old 10-11-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Are we predestined to all be believers or do we have free-will to decide if we believe?

Nice.. another personal attack.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:

No they weren't believers. They were innocent children who had their free will taken from them.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Alpha, what does this mean?

Do you think that it is wrong for God to force His will on us? When we submit or surrender to sin as opposed to submitting or surrendering to God, doesn't this mean that one is having a greater influence on our wills?
Please give me that scripture reference for the verse you're asking me to interpret. I want to look at in context, rather than out of context.

No, I don't think it's wrong for God to do anything God decides to do.

And the answer to your last question is yes, when we submit or surrender to sin it means that our sin nature is winning out over our spirit nature. Paul called it walking in the flesh.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Please give me that scripture reference for the verse you're asking me to interpret. I want to look at in context, rather than out of context.
It is Romans 14: 11

and Isaiah 45:23 says:

"I have sworn by Myself, The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness and will not turn back. That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear"

Old 10-11-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
It is Romans 14: 11

and Isaiah 45:23 says:

"I have sworn by Myself, The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness and will not turn back. That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear"
Thanks Shana. Wife's becking to dinner, but I will come back!

Back shortly.....

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-11-2007 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: got my threads mixed up

Old 10-11-2007, 05:40 PM

Okay, I will try to get back on a little later.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:50 AM

259 posts, read 1,181,864 times
God is sovereign and his will is in no way thwarted or even inconvenienced by the actions of his creation. The Old Testament numerous times affirms to omnipotence and sustaining hand of Jehovah, and that he brings to pass what he wishes. Which raises the question of; to make everything happen as he saw fit.....

Did God have to twist Pharoah's arm to resist the plagues and not let the Jews go free?

Did God have to force himself upon Judas to carry out betraying Jesus?

Did God have to force his will upon those who brought charges against Jesus, and against the very soldiers who cast lots for his clothes?

The answer is NO. God does not, and does not even have to coerce men into evil acts to fulfill that which was decreed from all eternity. Man is enslaved to his sinful nature and can do no other without intervention by God and Grace.

Absolute free will, or libertarian freedom in theological terms, is the ability to do as we wish or to be confronted with a particular choice and have the ability to do otherwise. We sorely lack this freedom as humans. Don't want to believe it? Well wake up tomorrow and try and go a whole day without sinning.
The reality is that sin has affected and tainted every facet of our humanity. Without God's enabling us, we would not even be able to respond to His love. Thats what human "free will" is outside God's grace, we are dead in trespasses and sins (Go read Ephesians 1 & 2)
By regeneration we are made able to respond obediently to God and His commands, and are able to love Him though still sin still affects us. By regeneration we are no longer paralyzed or crippled by sin, but rather only limp. In other words, we are FREE to love Him, inasmuch we were not before!

Check out Monergism.com :: Classic Articles and Resources of the Historic Christian Faith
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity