Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 12:03 PM

42 posts, read 48,376 times

Advertisements

James 1:12-18 (NLT)
12 God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
13 And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, “God is tempting me.” God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else.
14 Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away.
15 These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death.
16 So don’t be misled, my dear brothers and sisters.
17 Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.
18 He chose to give birth to us by giving us his true word. And we, out of all creation, became his prized possession.

It does not matter if you are a new believer or a long time believer in Jesus, we all face temptations every day. Sometimes they are little temptations, and others times they are huge. Either way, each one leads to the same dark path of sin. Our flesh and our mind will lie to us, and tell us a little indulgence of a temptation here and there is ok; in fact, we usually convince ourselves it is for the better of our over all health. Other times we find ourselves facing large temptations, and we ask, why is God tempting me? Why would He allow me to be tempted?

James ponts out a very important piece of wisdom here, in that temptations come from our own desires. It is through God, that we are able to identify these temptations. It is by us leaning on our everlasting Lord, that we can identify these lies and deceits of our sinful selves and find the strength we seek in Him.

1 Corinthians 10:13 (ESV)
13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

We find in our temptations, either the path of darkness (a slow fade or fall) or we find our anchor amongst the waves and winds of the world. Our anchor is Jesus Christ. Find Him, seek Him, when you feel the temptation coming on, do not rely on your strength or your will power. It is in Him we find our peace and rest from the snares of this world. It is in Him we find strength and confidence like we never had before.

Romans 15:4 (ESV)
4 For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

Our lives are busy, and full of to many things to do, with never enough time. Take a moment in your life, make a moment in your life; to allow His Word to strengthen you and encourage you. Seek His Word, seek to store it deep in your heart and soul. Seek His Word for the endurance and encouragement you need, it is your anchor, it is your life line.

Lord let us say the prayer today as you taught us in your Word;
Matthew 6:9-13 (ESV)
9 Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.
10 Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread,
12 and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

....Amen

[mod[delete[/mod]

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-24-2012 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: please ..no advertising or signature lines I am deleting your links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 03:23 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,047 times
Is there temptation in my life? ALL THE TIME! Assuming that by "temptation" you mean impulse to self destruction, be that minor or major.

The real question is "do I believe that there is a "satan" who whispers into my ear to do "evil" every time my idle mind leaves open an ear to him?"

Sorry in advance to those who will respond to my post with a plethora of quotes, but I no longer believe in an all powerful being of evil whose sole purpose is to lead us into temptation. What I DO believe is that God has given us free will, and Jesus has given us the path to salvation. Everything else is our choice.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:59 AM

481 posts, read 864,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Is there temptation in my life? ALL THE TIME! Assuming that by "temptation" you mean impulse to self destruction, be that minor or major.

The real question is "do I believe that there is a "satan" who whispers into my ear to do "evil" every time my idle mind leaves open an ear to him?"

Sorry in advance to those who will respond to my post with a plethora of quotes, but I no longer believe in an all powerful being of evil whose sole purpose is to lead us into temptation. What I DO believe is that God has given us free will, and Jesus has given us the path to salvation. Everything else is our choice..
Very well spoken in the Spirit of Truth.....

.....Shalom Aleichem achi (Peace be with you my brother)

Old 07-02-2012, 05:17 AM

481 posts, read 864,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdforster View Post
James 1:12-18 (NLT)
12 God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
13 And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, “God is tempting me.” God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else.
14 Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away.
15 These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death.
16 So don’t be misled, my dear brothers and sisters.
17 Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.
18 He chose to give birth to us by giving us his true word. And we, out of all creation, became his prized possession.

It does not matter if you are a new believer or a long time believer in Jesus, we all face temptations every day. Sometimes they are little temptations, and others times they are huge. Either way, each one leads to the same dark path of sin. Our flesh and our mind will lie to us, and tell us a little indulgence of a temptation here and there is ok; in fact, we usually convince ourselves it is for the better of our over all health. Other times we find ourselves facing large temptations, and we ask, why is God tempting me? Why would He allow me to be tempted?

James ponts out a very important piece of wisdom here, in that temptations come from our own desires. It is through God, that we are able to identify these temptations. It is by us leaning on our everlasting Lord, that we can identify these lies and deceits of our sinful selves and find the strength we seek in Him.

1 Corinthians 10:13 (ESV)
13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

We find in our temptations, either the path of darkness (a slow fade or fall) or we find our anchor amongst the waves and winds of the world. Our anchor is Jesus Christ. Find Him, seek Him, when you feel the temptation coming on, do not rely on your strength or your will power. It is in Him we find our peace and rest from the snares of this world. It is in Him we find strength and confidence like we never had before.

Romans 15:4 (ESV)
4 For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

Our lives are busy, and full of to many things to do, with never enough time. Take a moment in your life, make a moment in your life; to allow His Word to strengthen you and encourage you. Seek His Word, seek to store it deep in your heart and soul. Seek His Word for the endurance and encouragement you need, it is your anchor, it is your life line.

Lord let us say the prayer today as you taught us in your Word;
Matthew 6:9-13 (ESV)
9 Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.
10 Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread,
12 and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

....Amen
Very well spoken and a breathe of fresh air for around here. Finally some Truth from the Spirit of Truth.

....Amen & Hallelujah!

Our sin is a disease that does negatively effect us, drains us of life & joy, and brings no unity within ourselves if not taken care of (through daily repentance and having a personal relationship with God our Father through Christ Jesus). If there is no unity within ourselves, then there is NO UNITY within the true Church ("WE" the body of Christ Jesus, the whole temple of God), then there is NO GROWTH in the true Church, and the spreading of the Gospel (Word of Truth which is the Spirit of Truth) is futile.

...Shalom Aleichem achi gam akhoti! (Peace be with you brothers and sisters)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity