Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:39 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Is it standard for a priest to deny someone Communion? I'm sure that would make the news, and it has.
It made the news in the very liberal diocese of Washington D.C. last year, mainly due to the diocese's misguided reaction and persecution of a faithful priest. It's a complicated story.

In most cases, the priest doesn't know who is in a state of grace and who isn't, so he doesn't deny anyone communion. And in those few cases where the priest does know, or thinks he knows, most priests are trained to leave the responsibility up to the communicant.

It's only in those situations - like the Fr. Guarizno case last year - where the communicant's unworthiness to receive holy communion is known by the priest with moral certainty, and/or is well known to many others thereby creating a public scandal, that the priest has an obligation to withhold communion.

One priest told me that, when the situation calls for it, he announces beforehand that women who are not modestly dressed will receive only a blessing at the altar rail.

Quote:
I'd say half the people up there are NOT in a state of grace, making it a cattle prod ritual to get up and get Communion.
Yes, I'd say at least half, probably much more. Catholics haven't been taught about this for a generation. Good catechesis is only starting to come back.

Quote:
I've gone to Church and sat out about a third of the Communions, because I hadn't been to confession. There are few who do that. I really don't give a rat's ass what these people thought.
I withhold myself from communion often. You see that a lot at the Latin Mass and also in ethnic parishes. Besides not being in a state of grace, there are other reasons not to receive, such as not having kept the eucharistic fast, not having a recollected mind, or just feeling like confession might be a good idea even if you haven't committed a mortal sin. One priest told us that it was customary not to receive communion at a requiem Mass, so that all of the graces from the Mass might be given to the departed. (Not sure how theologically sound that is ...) Church law says you must receive once per year, not every Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
But it would have been impossible for her to obey those rules or even to go to confession.
"With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." - Jesus

Old 10-04-2012, 02:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
It's only in those situations - like the Fr. Guarizno case last year - where the communicant's unworthiness to receive holy communion is known by the priest with moral certainty, and/or is well known to many others thereby creating a public scandal, that the priest has an obligation to withhold communion.

One priest told me that, when the situation calls for it, he announces beforehand that women who are not modestly dressed will receive only a blessing at the altar rail.
Both of these situations are offensive. And the communicant's unworthiness in Washington DC was based on what? Don't answer that. I know. Also, since when is a priest able to determine what appropriately dressed is? So, too much cleavage on display means no communion? And this happened recently?

Old 10-04-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Both of these situations are offensive.
Offensive to you or to God?

Quote:
Also, since when is a priest able to determine what appropriately dressed is? So, too much cleavage on display means no communion? And this happened recently?
Every man knows when a woman is dressed in a sexually provocative way. That's a mortal sin, especially in church of all places, and a woman approaching the altar dressed this way is unlikely to be in a state of grace. If she's been warned beforehand, what's left to discuss?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Offensive to you or to God?

Every man knows when a woman is dressed in a sexually provocative way. That's a mortal sin, especially in church of all places, and a woman approaching the altar dressed this way is unlikely to be in a state of grace. If she's been warned beforehand, what's left to discuss?
Offensive to both, and to most people with a brain.

Tell me if a girl in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil wearing a "fio dental" (dental floss) bikini is committing a mortal sin?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RpLL-j71eZ...fio+dental.jpg

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 10-04-2012 at 03:22 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Tell me if a girl in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil wearing a "dio dental" (dental floss) bikini is committing a mortal sin?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RpLL-j71eZ...fio+dental.jpg
Yes, she is.

And no, I'm not going to the link - custody of the eyes.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, she is.

And no, I'm not going to the link - custody of the eyes.
Absolutely unbelievable. I am very glad not to be in your shoes, nor be the owner of your brain.

I hope to be in line, GLADLY behind you, at the "Pearly Gates" or would be very content to have my ass bake in Purgatory, which I believe in, for a while, and not live with your viewpoints.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Absolutely unbelievable. I am very glad not to be in your shoes, nor be the owner of your brain.

I hope to be in line, GLADLY behind you, at the "Pearly Gates" or would be very content to have my ass bake in Purgatory, which I believe in, for a while, and not live with your viewpoints.
Such hostility.

Is anything I have said contrary to what the Church teaches?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Such hostility.

Is anything I have said contrary to what the Church teaches?
No hostility at all.

I posted a thread within the last month where an Italian cardinal said the Catholic church is very out of touch and hasn't morphed, and I agree. What I meant is that I don't think my salvation is compromised because my views aren't as legalistic as yours. That's all.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
No hostility at all.

I posted a thread within the last month where an Italian cardinal said the Catholic church is very out of touch and hasn't morphed, and I agree. What I meant is that I don't think my salvation is compromised because my views aren't as legalistic as yours. That's all.
OK, but I object to your characterization of my views as legalistic. Unless you think the Church itself is legalistic. I'm relying on grace and forgiveness for my salvation, not the moral law. And yet any Catholic who loves God hopes to please God in his moral conduct. There's nothing legalistic about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity