Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 AM

428 posts, read 330,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You brought up the topic of God driving man out of the garden to never enter again.

I have news for you, there is nothing in scripture that is not spiritual.

Now If you read the scriptures literally you are going to think that God drove man out of a physical place called Eden.

By the way we are all of God for in Him we live and move and have our being, we are his offspring, the apostle Paul's words not mine.

that they should seek God, if haply they might feel after him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us: Acts 17:26

So much for him being hiding the otherside of a flaming sword and cherubims while we search in vain for him.
I brought up that there was sin at that time and gave the biblical example. This was in reference to the OP about if Adam and Eve sinned by being related to each other. Moderator cut: deleted.Please use reported post function.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-14-2012 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
But incest wasn't one of them ?. Then God decided it was ?.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
But incest wasn't one of them ?. Then God decided it was ?.
The law forbidding marriage between close relatives was not given until the time of Moses (Leviticus 18-20).

Remember that Abraham married his half-sister (Genesis 20:12). God blessed this union to produce the Hebrew people through Isaac and Jacob. It was not until some 400 years later that God gave Moses laws that forbade such marriages.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:50 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
The law forbidding marriage between close relatives was not given until the time of Moses (Leviticus 18-20).

Remember that Abraham married his half-sister (Genesis 20:12). God blessed this union to produce the Hebrew people through Isaac and Jacob. It was not until some 400 years later that God gave Moses laws that forbade such marriages.
I think you need to think a little harder about this

for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. Romans 5:13

since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them. Romans 2:15

Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I think you need to think a little harder about this

for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. Romans 5:13

since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them. Romans 2:15
Just giving you the facts. No need to think about the truth. It's just the truth.

I agree with the scripture you are quoting. That is my very point. There was sin from the point of the first sin by Adam and Eve. My point is that God did not forbid marrying close relatives to much later.

In the Garden there was some law given. Don't eat! They ate and broke that law. But the law of not marring close relatives was not given then. Hence no sin to do so. As Abraham did.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell93 View Post
Adam and Eve wasn't related. God both told Adam and Eve to basically make babies so that the earth can have many:

Genesis 1:28- And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

God was never into incest, as well as, homesexuality. So, why would God make them related, that makes no sense.
They were to populate the earth. Eventually the kids would have to marry at some point.

Incest was not law until later.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Eventually the kids would have to marry at some point.

Incest was not law until later.
That's a fact Jack!

The reason marrying close relatives became an issue was after some time there came to be errors in the genes and when 2 people were closely related they could carry the same error and that would result in a deformation of the offspring. This was not a problem in the beginning for God created Man and Woman perfectly. God's choose people were all descendants of a man and his half sister (Abraham and Sara). Why people want to argue over these simple facts is beyond me. It's very clear what happened and if you don't like it then take it up with God when you stand before Him.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
I love reading religious threads like this for entertainment purposes. You true believers really tie your brain up in knots trying to justify the craziness of the creation story. "Were Adam and Eve committing incest?" Haha! Don't you see what happens when you start believing in fairy tales? Lies ALWAYS beget bigger and more numerous lies. "First it was fine to mate with your sister, but then it wasn't"... doesn't anybody here see how crazy this line of thinking is? You can't have an entire population of people descended from just 2 people. It's impossible without serious birth defects... take a lesson from royalty... or certain dog breeds. The whole thing is a big lie.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I love reading religious threads like this for entertainment purposes. You true believers really tie your brain up in knots trying to justify the craziness of the creation story. "Were Adam and Eve committing incest?" Haha! Don't you see what happens when you start believing in fairy tales? Lies ALWAYS beget bigger and more numerous lies. "First it was fine to mate with your sister, but then it wasn't"... doesn't anybody here see how crazy this line of thinking is? You can't have an entire population of people descended from just 2 people. It's impossible without serious birth defects... take a lesson from royalty... or certain dog breeds. The whole thing is a big lie.
OK - what's your theory?

Old 10-16-2012, 07:03 AM

From the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I was talking to a friend about this and he really got me thinking.
Were Adam And Eve really related?

If God took a rib from Adam to create Eve, wouldn't that make them related?

When God said "Don't eat off the tree of good and evil"
Did he really men for them not to have relations with each other, but with anyone else?

My biggest issue with that is : If God wanted them to populate the earth, then why couldn't they have relations?

My other big issues is: If God took a rib from Adam, then wouldn't that make them related therefore it would be considered incest?

Any thoughts?
Regarding the blue... God gave them the command to populate the earth before the sin occurred. How would that happen if they were not to have relations with each other?

Regarding incest... God could have easily created 10,000 people from the dust of the ground to start the human population, but didn't. I guess the timing of all of that is interesting - in that they did not have relations until after they sinned and were removed from God's presence.

The truth is although Adam and Eve started the human population - everyone today can trace themselves back to Noah and his three sons/wives. So there was kind of a "reset" button because of the flood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity