Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times

Advertisements

What are the things that you know are false that your church teaches? When you hear your church teach it how do you just accept it without questioning the pastor and try to correct him/her?

If you dont believe in....tithing. what is your reaction when your pastor says you better tithe?

or if you do believe in it and the pastor says not to tithe?

Do you just pick and choose what battles to fight?. No church is perfect, so you know and must admit that your church teaches some things that are lies. What do you consider the lies that your church teaches. And how can you sit there?

When i use to go to church, i did not agree with tithing. I would question the other people, but they just decided that if the pastor teaches it, then they must believe it.
They also had people rolling on the floor. I would be amazed how many people did such a thing. I know it was not biblical, but i just sat there like a fool, and sad for these people at the same time.
I am not perfect, and i am sure i have alot of learning to do. But i could no longer stand it when there would be christians who have been in the faith for many years, but could not answer simple questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 11:03 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Do you just pick and choose what battles to fight?. No church is perfect, so you know and must admit that your church teaches some things that are lies. What do you consider the lies that your church teaches. And how can you sit there?
I'm not sure that "lies" is the right word for it, but I am very much opposed to my Church's involvement in gay rights issues. I know I'm not alone in how I feel, but I also know I'm very much in the minority.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 AM

428 posts, read 330,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
What are the things that you know are false that your church teaches? When you hear your church teach it how do you just accept it without questioning the pastor and try to correct him/her?

If you dont believe in....tithing. what is your reaction when your pastor says you better tithe?

or if you do believe in it and the pastor says not to tithe?

When i use to go to church, i did not agree with tithing. I would question the other people, but they just decided that if the pastor teaches it, then they must believe it.
They also had people rolling on the floor. I would be amazed how many people did such a thing. I know it was not biblical, but i just sat there like a fool, and sad for these people at the same time.
I am not perfect, and i am sure i have alot of learning to do. But i could no longer stand it when there would be christians who have been in the faith for many years, but could not answer simple questions.
I can only recall one time I disagreed with something my current pastor said. I went to him and we sat down and discussed it, studied it and prayed about it. He changed his view on the matter. He openly stated such to the whole church and we moved on. It was not a big issue but should I hear something I thing is wrong according to scripture I will go to him again. He is very open about such things and he and I are very good friends.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
It depends on the importance of the error - is it a side issue or is it part of the non-negotiables (virgin birth, sinless existence of Christ, etc.)?

Old 10-18-2012, 12:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I love the premise of the question. If he were a divorce attorney, I'm sure he would begin cross-examining a husband with the question, "Mr. Jones, Yes or No, have you stop beating your wife?"

Old 10-18-2012, 02:05 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
I currently attend a "Church of God" church and they seriously believe they are the one true church and that if your not baptized in it, your going to Hell. I know they are dead wrong but they are such nice people I don't know how I'm going to break it to them that I'm going to leave. I've established a connection with some of them that I normally avoid doing. It's going to be hard but eventually I will. This is just not the church for me.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:36 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
My church teaches that giving should begin with the tithe. I don't believe the NT teaches tithing. When I was teaching our new members class, I would insert my own opinion here, in addition to teaching what our church teaches. I mentioned this to one of our associate pastors, and he was fine with it. I've never discussed it with our senior pastor, although I would like to.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 PM

259 posts, read 366,151 times
My pastor or assistant pastors are simply not liers. We are a non -denominational evangelical fellowship with a goal of bringing members to a closer relationship with Jesus Christ. With that said some of us are committed to a different focus but without creating internal dogma or questioning their mission statement. That the task of altering the churches fundamental teachings would be monumental and require thousands of hours of education ,mentoring and although spiritually fullfilling just not appropriate . Our bible group have gradually swung into the debths of Judeo (hebrew) origins ie Torah albeit old testament prophets,feasts,astronomy(not astrology), referred to often by pastor but not taught at a level we deam necessary. His Baptist schooling we feel was excellent yet lacking cetain keys to understanding the Godhead and the extent of our Jewish roots long since defiled and banished by Constantine under penalty of death 325AD. Anyway we love our church and 80% of its teaching and believe we are being biblically and spiritually fed. Then there is me (oh brother!) My wife and I were baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit years ago in the Apostolic faith following our trek from Catholicism,charismatic catholicism to pentecostal (apostolic).....whew! We still cling to the belief that in Matthew 28:19 aka the Great Commission when Jesus "sent" the then disciples to advancing them to apostles to go out baptizing all nations in the NAME (singular name) of the triune titles. That name would evolve via Acts 2:38 when Peter "getting the name Jesuswas referring " and that name is ...are ya ready?.Jesus !! Jesus Christ was talking about(hellooooo) himself!!! So the church goes triune baptism or titles instead of the name above ALL names. But it 'sjust me right it's me........nevemind.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:06 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
I don't have as much as a problem with the Catholic church as I do with SOME of its people. Didn't Ghandi say "I like your Christ. But I don't care for your Christians. They are nothing like your Christ?" I think that, if such a statement was made, it was a bit of a reach, but I do see some validity in it.

Catholic church LIE:
I think this sentiment is archaic, but I think some Catholics still hang onto it: Catholics have the "E" ticket to heaven. I actually think some parishioners are more likely to believe this than priests these days! I stopped believing this as a kid. *I don't think these Irish nuns have this one right*

Old 10-19-2012, 02:23 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
The presumptive assumption of this thread seems to be twofold: (1) That all pastors/churches 'intentionally' spew lies out of the pulpit; and (2) That the 'lies' are so clear that the OP (and others of that ilk) can clearly determine that based on their own opinion (not scripture). Ironically, neither presumption is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity