Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:55 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am sure he was an adult when he drew it. I got it from the OP link BTW.
Nowhere does the link say Joseph Smith drew the picture. Good try, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 07:15 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Incidentally, Kolob Canyon, in Southern Utah, is pretty darned gorgeous, wouldn't you say?
No, I don't like the parched bleakness of the Intermountain West. And this is even before I developed my opinions of your faith. It's not an aesthetic I like.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
No, I don't like the parched bleakness of the Intermountain West. And this is even before I developed my opinions of your faith. It's not an aesthetic I like.
Suit yourself. One man's meat is another man's poison.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:29 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Nowhere does the link say Joseph Smith drew the picture. Good try, though.
It says this about the drawing:
Quote:
Detail of Joseph Smith Hypocephalus. Reference numeral 1 represents Kolob according to Joseph Smith, Jr.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Suit yourself. One man's meat is another man's poison.
True. Here's Acadia Nat'l Park in Maine. Now we're talking.

http://x.garnek.pl/ga1620/fa1edaeeb8...a_national.jpg

False. God is everywhere, not just in Heaven. In fact, the Argentinians have it narrowed down even better: "God is everywhere, but His headquarters is in Buenos Aires."

Old 10-21-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It says this about the drawing:
That's right. That's exactly what it says. It doesn't say that Joseph Smith was the illustrator.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
False. God is everywhere, not just in Heaven.
Well, that's not what the Bible says, but if that's what you want to believe, fine. When Jesus shows His followers how to pray, He said, "Our Father, who art in Heaven..." He did not say, "Our Father, who art everywhere." As a matter of fact, on twenty-two occasions, he refers to His Father as being "in Heaven." Never does He refer to Him as being "everywhere." Besides, if God was "everywhere," He'd be in some very unsavory, disgusting places. You can't just pick and choose where you want "everywhere" to be.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-21-2012 at 07:47 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Besides, if God was "everywhere," He'd be in some very unsavory, disgusting places.
That's EXACTLY the point. With the belief that God, Christ and the Holy Spirit being one in the same, God is in intensive care, on skid row, where Komodo dragons are chasing people, and in Antarctica. God is everywhere He is needed or sought, through the Trinity.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
That's EXACTLY the point. With the belief that God, Christ and the Holy Spirit being one in the same, God is in intensive care, on skid row, where Komodo dragons are chasing people, and in Antarctica. God is everywhere He is needed or sought, through the Trinity.
Interesting. Not Biblical in the slightest, but interesting none the less. (Kind of off-topic, too. )

Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Well, that's not what the Bible says, but if that's what you want to believe, fine. When Jesus shows His followers how to pray, He said, "Our Father, who art in Heaven..." He did not say, "Our Father, who art everywhere." As a matter of fact, on twenty-two occasions, he refers to His Father as being "in Heaven." Never does He refer to Him as being "everywhere." Besides, if God was "everywhere," He'd be in some very unsavory, disgusting places. You can't just pick and choose where you want "everywhere" to be.
The Bible does indeed say that God is everywhere. God is omnipresent. Mormons, in view of the following passages, please explain why you believe that the Bible does not say that God is everywhere. Hopefully, since the thread title is, 'Mormon's please explain this,' my request that you explain this keeps the thread on topic.

The Father: Jeremiah 23:23 "Am I a God who is near," declares the LORD, "And not a God far off? 24] "Can a man hide himself in hiding places So I do not see him?" declares the LORD. "Do I not fill the heavens and the earth?" declares the LORD.

God the Son: Matt. 28:20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Jesus Christ as God is with, and indwells every Church Age believer. John 14:20 "In that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.

God the Holy Spirit: Psa. 139:7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8] If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.

Last edited by Michael Way; 10-21-2012 at 08:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity