Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:30 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,463,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Ask God to reveal the truth of His ultimate goal for all mankind. Ask for wisdom for He gives it liberally to those who ask.
Just a couple of questions Eusebius

Does that require an open heart ?

Will God be angry with us for being open to anything other than what our minds are already set on ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,319,821 times
Quote:
O.K. so far we have about 50% of believers here whose theology trumps what God said in 1 Timothy 2:4-6 and about 50% of believers who have seen that all scriptures work together in a properly translated Bible.

So I would kindly suggest to the former 50 percenters that you get a properly translated Bible and learn what it means to "rightly divide" or "correctly cut" the Scriptures. Ask God to reveal the truth of His ultimate goal for all mankind. Ask for wisdom for He gives it liberally to those who ask.
I agree that all scriptures work together in a properly translated Bible. I prefer the King James version.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:53 AM

64,148 posts, read 40,492,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not really. If you believe it literally and think it is infallible and inerrant as DICTATED by God then . . . Yes you are a Bible idolator because you attribute the qualities of God to a physical collection of writings by men in a book. The ONLY Word of God for a Christian is Jesus Christ. For Christians the Bible is USEFUL for knowing of Christ and how to validate Him and instruction in righteousness. It is only the word of God for Bibleans.
Quote:
I only partly agree with your assertions Mystic, though you often have many nice and thoughtful posts otherwise.
I believe the scriptures truly are inspired by God. Now there are very poor translations of the inspired word of God and that is a problem.
Thank you, Eusebius . . . but we do not disahree about the God inspiration. We differ on what that means. You read DICTATION . . . I read INSPIRATION. They are NOT the same thing. Inspiration requires interpretation using the existing knowledge and beliefs of the receiver. Dictation does NOT . . . it merely requires transcription.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:44 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,049,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
I agree that all scriptures work together in a properly translated Bible. I prefer the King James version.

As long as you know all the words that are cross-wired in the KJV, go for it.

Have you studied out all the different words they used for any specific Greek word? such as "aion"?

Old 11-09-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Ask God to reveal the truth of His ultimate goal for all mankind. Ask for wisdom for He gives it liberally to those who ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Just a couple of questions Eusebius

Does that require an open heart ?
Not an open heart to just any spirit.

Quote:
Will God be angry with us for being open to anything other than what our minds are already set on ?.
He will poor hot molten lead down the throats of anyone for eternity. Don't mess with the Christian God. He will git you for sure! If you don't believe God will save all mankind He will torment you for eternity. So there!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Not an open heart to just any spirit.

He will poor hot molten lead down the throats of anyone for eternity. Don't mess with the Christian God. He will git you for sure! If you don't believe God will save all mankind He will torment you for eternity. So there!
That's the issue most of us think anything that's not been already set in our way of thinking is of another spirit.

The doctrine of eternal hell is a huge stronghold over the mind of most Christians, so to even consider that it could be a false doctrine when we are so set in our minds about what we think the bible is saying, in my mind has got to be a work of God. The God who convinces and persuades.

I have believed eternal torment to be true all my Christian life so how can it be wrong?.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
That's the issue most of us think anything that's not been already set in our way of thinking is of another spirit.

The doctrine of eternal hell is a huge stronghold over the mind of most Christians, so to even consider that it could be a false doctrine when we are so set in our minds about what we think the bible is saying, in my mind has got to be a work of God. The God who convinces and persuades.

I have believed eternal torment to be true all my Christian life so how can it be wrong?.
God needs to get them to read a better Bible which is closer to what He actually said and not what men *think* He might have said to accord with their theology.

For instance, why would God give such a mixed message for the Greek word AION if it is translated "world", "age," "ever," "never" in the negative, "eternal"? But if we get a translation where AION is always "eon" or "age" then we get closer to God's mind on the matter. As long as Christians rely on poor translations they will always be screwed up in their theology.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:00 AM

428 posts, read 332,757 times
Quote:
God needs to get them to read a better Bible which is closer to what He actually said and not what men *think* He might have said to accord with their theology.

For instance, why would God give such a mixed message for the Greek word AION if it is translated "world", "age," "ever," "never" in the negative, "eternal"? But if we get a translation where AION is always "eon" or "age" then we get closer to God's mind on the matter. As long as Christians rely on poor translations they will always be screwed up in their theology.
I have noticed that you seem to think this word "Aion" is the answer to everything. You seem to bring it up in every thread.

Do you believe the following verses are translated correctly or do you not believe in "Eternal" life?

John 6:47, "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal (aionion) life.

John 10:28, "and I give eternal (aionion) life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand."

Acts 13:48, "And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal (aionion) life believed."

Romans 2:7, " to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal (aionion) life."

Romans 5:21, "that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal (aionion) life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Rom. 16:26, " but now is manifested, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal (aionion) God, has been made known to all the nations, leading to obedience of faith."

Gal. 6:8, "For the one who sows to his own flesh shall from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit shall from the Spirit reap eternal (aionion) life."

1 Tim. 6:16, "who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light; whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal (aionion) dominion! Amen."

1 John 1:2, "and the life was manifested, and we have seen and bear witness and proclaim to you the eternal (aionion) life, which was with the Father and was manifested to us"

1 John 5:11, "And the witness is this, that God has given us eternal (aionion) life, and this life is in His Son."

And just to set the record straight the meaning of the Greek word "Aionion" is:

Quote:
perpetual (also used of past time, or past and future as well):--eternal, for ever, everlasting, world (began).
The root word "Aion" which is not used in any of the verses you like to mention is:

Quote:
properly, an age; by extension, perpetuity (also past); by implication, the world; specially (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future):--age, course, eternal, (for) ever(-more), (n-)ever, (beginning of the , while the) world (began, without end).
So now you see the facts! Hope that helps!

Last edited by Jimmy Joe Bob; 11-10-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 11-10-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Very true. Why is it so hard for so many to accept that that their bible is poorly translated ?.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 AM

64,148 posts, read 40,492,258 times
Quote:
Very true. Why is it so hard for so many to accept that that their bible is poorly translated ?.
Because they do not know just how difficult communication by writing across languages, cultures and generations can be. Written communication is the most difficult form of communication to unambiguously get meaning from when we share the same culture, generation, and language. Remove those commonalities and the problems magnify exponentially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity