Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:18 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times

Advertisements

When people that the bible literally, and do not process scripture with the divine guidance of the Holy Spirit, they are limiting the power of God's word, and their own spiritual experience.

As a Protestant Christian, I firmly believe in the "Priesthood of all Believers" and as such, my ability to read and interpret scripture with the assistance of the Holy Spirit.

Worship of the Bible turns scripture into a sort of "paper pope" - an infallible book that is not a living, breathing, message from God. Inerrancy is Spiritually repressive.

Worse, it denies the function and unique role of the Holy Spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
When people that the bible literally, and do not process scripture with the divine guidance of the Holy Spirit, they are limiting the power of God's word, and their own spiritual experience.

As a Protestant Christian, I firmly believe in the "Priesthood of all Believers" and as such, my ability to read and interpret scripture with the assistance of the Holy Spirit.

Worship of the Bible turns scripture into a sort of "paper pope" - an infallible book that is not a living, breathing, message from God. Inerrancy is Spiritually repressive.

Worse, it denies the function and unique role of the Holy Spirit.
Correct. It is based on a lack of faith that Christ abides with us as the Comforter (His Holy Spirit) to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts." They say the Living Word of God and then forget that Christ IS the Living Word of God . . . not the Bible.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,837,291 times
We are instructed to properly divide scripture, take literally what is meant to be literal but all in the power of the Holy Spirit the Bible is literaly the record of the living word of God which is brought to life by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
We are instructed to properly divide scripture, take literally what is meant to be literal but all in the power of the Holy Spirit the Bible is literaly the record of the living word of God which is brought to life by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Nowhere can you find a single reference that says the Bible or scriptures are the Living Word of God . . . but Christ IS. Trying to paint "God-inspired" and "profitable for instruction" into "inerrant and infallible living word of God" is just foolishness born of the "precepts and doctrines of men."

Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
Not many folk understand the function of the Holy spirit, but Jesus spicificly designated the Holy Spirit to be our teacher in His place, teaching the things Jesus taught and giving direction from the Father in our daily lives.
Jesus spicificly told the disciples not to be called master or rabbi or call any man father,yet men defy Jesus teaching to satisfy human reasoning.
The disciples were commiisioned to proclame the gospel ,not teach in Jesus place.
And the Holy Spirit does His job, in those whom Jesus Lordship is established .
Those that have given "the church" lordship, have no such blessing.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,020,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Not many folk understand the function of the Holy spirit, but Jesus specifically designated the Holy Spirit to be our teacher in His place, teaching the things Jesus taught and giving direction from the Father in our daily lives.
Jesus specifically told the disciples not to be called master or rabbi or call any man father,yet men defy Jesus teaching to satisfy human reasoning.
The disciples were commissioned to proclaim the gospel ,not teach in Jesus place.
And the Holy Spirit does His job, in those whom Jesus Lordship is established .
Those that have given "the church" lordship, have no such blessing.
Very well said. I did correct your typos. Hope you don't mind.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Yeah I guess an obsession with what the text says, I know what you mean.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
Sheena: Wrong.

Mt 7:24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. Mt 7:25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Mt 7:26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. Mt 7:27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash

The Holy Spirit comes to us only through the word. To reject what God clearly teaches in His word and create new "truths", is to be led astray by other voices. God doesn't contradict Himself.

"Faith comes by hearing and hearing through the word of Christ."

Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
What happens when I get a liver shiver that contradicts your liver shiver? Who is right?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Sheena: Wrong.

Mt 7:24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. Mt 7:25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Mt 7:26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. Mt 7:27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.

The Holy Spirit comes to us only through the word. To reject what God clearly teaches in His word and create new "truths", is to be led astray by other voices. God doesn't contradict Himself.

"Faith comes by hearing and hearing through the word of Christ."
[It] is a literary reading and writing mindset that gives you knowledge but not comprehension; that only comes from the Spirit of life.
However, there are those who insist on drinking from the cup of their own understanding, but cannot admit to their addiction.

(And I am not talking about, Sheena.)

"When the bible becomes the only source, wisdom falls short."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity