Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 PM

154 posts, read 209,274 times

Advertisements

Ok, that's a given. But I was inferring of him in how He provided, be it the actual stuff the man needed or him being given money by God to buy the things he needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylightMike231 View Post
Ok, that's a given. But I was inferring of him in how He provided, be it the actual stuff the man needed or him being given money by God to buy the things he needed.
I would say whether it was hard cash or material things, he believed it was God who met his need and above.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM

154 posts, read 209,274 times
True. It's just nice to hear about that stuff from time to time, is all. Anyway, back to the thread, my bad .

Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I have many times from the pulpit and in Bible class.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
are they afraid of them or is the modern church not suppose to warn people about false teachers and questionable folks like Mike Murdock and Kenneth Copeland and Creflo Dollar and Robert Morris

and other Prosperity gospel preachers like them.
I do. In fact I mentioned the shiny-teethed one that is "pastor" of a church of about 40k in Houston a few weeks back.

Honestly though...unless it's relevant to my sermon I don't care to go off on a topic. In this particular instance I was talking about how the Christian life isn't necessarily a bed of roses...and I mentioned the problems with the Word of Faith/Prosperity movement.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Here are a few verses on materialism in the Bible

Hebrews 13:5

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

1 John 2:16
For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world.

Luke 12:15
And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”

Matthew 6:19-21
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Ecclesiastes 5:10
He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity.

Matthew 6:33
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Mark 4:18-19
And others are the ones sown among thorns. They are those who hear the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches and the desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it proves unfruitful.

1 Timothy 6:6-10
Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

1 John 2:15-17
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.

Luke 16:14-15
The Pharisees, who were lovers of money, heard all these things, and they ridiculed him. And he said to them, “You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God.

James 5:1-20
Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure in the last days. Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. You have lived on the earth in luxury and in self-indulgence. You have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter.

Matthew 6:24
“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

1 Timothy 5:8
But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

2 Corinthians 9:8
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.

Ecclesiastes 12:13
The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

-After reading these its pretty hard to even justify the Prosperity Gospel and worry about money.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I think the Prosperity Gospel is the gospel of televangelists. "You give me your money and God will take care of your needs and reward you with more money to give me"

A few of the verses they base their gospel on.

Malacchi 3:10 "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it"

John 10:10 "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly"

Phillipians 4:19 "My God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus"

3 John 2 "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth"

IMO these verses are more in line with spiritual blessings not material desires of the carnal man.

IMO the John 10:10 verse is speaking of the relationship between God and ourselves and how our lives are enriched by knowing Him.

The Phillipians verse tells me that God will supply his gift (everlasting life=riches in glory)through Jesus Christ.

3 John tells me that trusting in God ( prosperous in thy soul) to supply me with the material tools to
supply the needs of my physical body

Of course that is just my opinion and not meant to change yours

Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I think the Prosperity Gospel is the gospel of televangelists. "You give me your money and God will take care of your needs and reward you with more money to give me"

A few of the verses they base their gospel on.

Malacchi 3:10 "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it"

John 10:10 "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly"

Phillipians 4:19 "My God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus"

3 John 2 "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth"

IMO these verses are more in line with spiritual blessings not material desires of the carnal man.

IMO the John 10:10 verse is speaking of the relationship between God and ourselves and how our lives are enriched by knowing Him.

The Phillipians verse tells me that God will supply his gift (everlasting life=riches in glory)through Jesus Christ.

3 John tells me that trusting in God ( prosperous in thy soul) to supply me with the material tools to
supply the needs of my physical body

Of course that is just my opinion and not meant to change yours

So true

Malacchi 3:10 is one of the most taken out of context verses in the bible.

Many never bother to refer to Chapter 1, when he explains how they are in fact robbing God and that the tithe is in fact food, not money.

Malachi 1:7-8

7 “By offering defiled food on my altar.“But you ask, ‘How have we defiled you?’
“By saying that the Lord’s table is contemptible. 8 When you offer blind animals for sacrifice, is that not wrong? When you sacrifice lame or diseased animals, is that not wrong? Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?” says the Lord Almighty.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
it is like watching a person get raped and just walk by without doing anything. thats what it has become, usually most of these preacher will pick on joel osteen. that is usually about it. These churches, the ones that have a heirarchy, are told from their leaders not to speak out. it is a big corporate institution with its own rules.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
We are all sinners.

Many people are motivated by greed. I have known 'ministers' who were not believers in any context. They might have started out as believers but somewhere in the process of seminary they lost it. Pastoring becomes a job, a career field. They do it for the pay check, and they willingly change the doctrine preached to suit the deacons who sign the pay check.

Jesus warned us of hirelings.

Paul likewise explained that he worked for a living to support himself. In some areas where Paul taught he did not accept support from them because it was not right and in those circumstances he would have been a hireling. In other places where Paul taught he did accept support. Paul had to walk this with wisdom.

Today we have formed a culture among churches where it is the norm for churches to hire pastors, and it is the norm for pastors to view the 'work of the ministry' as a salaried career field in place of a calling.

Jesus warned us. Paul explains it, and yet here we are.

Greedy men will preach any message that itching ears want to hear, so they will be paid.

Granted not all churches do this. Some do not. My church does not pay ministers. We do not want to become a business. It is very hard to be handling money without any form of greed entering in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity