Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:52 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I kinda have to "ditto" everyone else: Stick with the basics-Christ crucified.
Beyond that, you asked how we knew our church was right even for us. I attend the church that I feel best represents doctrinally what the Bible teaches. That's my opinion and interpretation, of course, but what else is there? You have to make that decision.
I agree with you kaykay. That's why I attend my church. And Rob, I'm glad you decided to come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 07:17 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I don't know if I care anymore. Sad, huh? Somehow I just think the whole Christian world is totally screwed up. The Catholics are right. No, the Orthodox are right. No, the Protestants are right. No, the Mormons are right. No, the Jehovah's Witnesses are right. No, the Church of Christ is right. No, the Catholics are right. (Yes, I realize I put that twice. The whole argument seems to come full-circle.)

Is ANYONE right??????

Do we even HAVE to be right?????

Do YOU think your church is right? If so, why?

If not, why? (For that matter, why do you go there if you don't think it's right?)

Although scripture is complete, and Christ's revelation is complete, it has not been made completely explicit. It's up to all of us Christians to gradually grasp it's full significance.

Seek and you shall find

BTW: Welcome back !!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:38 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Quote:
I don't know if I care anymore. Sad, huh? Somehow I just think the whole Christian world is totally screwed up. The Catholics are right. No, the Orthodox are right. No, the Protestants are right. No, the Mormons are right. No, the Jehovah's Witnesses are right. No, the Church of Christ is right. No, the Catholics are right. (Yes, I realize I put that twice. The whole argument seems to come full-circle.)

Is ANYONE right??????

If not, why? (For that matter, why do you go there if you don't think it's right?)

Hi Rob, the church is composed of imperfect people and hopefully we are continually trusting God to lead and guide us. IMHO the main thing as some have shared is Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I would encourage you to put your faith and trust in God to help lead you to where He wants you to be. He knows your heart. God bless.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,136 times
So many with the same answer! I also agree, It is Christ free and simple.
Ditto on the welcome back! We love you Rob!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:53 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Rob you are missing it. It doesn't matter what any organization says...the building or people who run it are not the church. The people are the church. You have to find your own personal relationship with God, then and only then will you know what is right for you. I do hope you can find what you are looking for. I wish you peace and happiness in your quest.
You said it beautifully! "You have to find your own personal relationship with God."

I don't mean that there's an individual right and wrong. I do believe God is absolute. But I don't think any of us (or any specific church or denomination) has it right all the time. This is why we should study the Bible with humility and offer each other encouragement in the faith.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:32 AM

174 posts, read 505,050 times
There is no one right church. Some follow a better doctrine than others, but none are perfect. Within any church you will find members who disagree on anything from the length of the pastor's sermons to the length of his tie. Ecclesiastes states there is nothing new under the sun. This is certainly true of the state of the church. Throughout the New Testament we find disputes and siding with particular teachers. This should bring you some solace actually. It isn't the state of the church, but the state of being flesh.

As has been mentioned before, you must strive for a personal relationship with the Lord and a revelation of His presence within you. This will be all the strength you require for dealing with the worldliness of the church. Studying the Holy Scriptures will work to form your own basic doctrinal beliefs. If you approach it from the point of proving or disproving particular doctrines, you will get bogged down. I don't believe bad doctrine will exclude one from being saved, but it can work against the process. Beware of any denomination that tells you that you need something beyond Christ for salvation.

If you seek in earnest, you will find.

Hebews 11:6 ........He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Matthew 7:7 .......seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

Old 10-17-2007, 07:05 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Default The Isle of "Right"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post

Is ANYONE right??????

Right vs. Righteous

General discussions are healthy, they promote thinking. However human nature is exploited by the evil one who works through many with a contentious spirit. This produces the isle of right. Not a good place to be.

When each of us argue with another believer, we are not following the commands from God. We should be edifying each other, not bashing each other with scripture. We are instructed to be "salt and light".

I struggle at times with those who have granted themselves authority beyond the word of God, preachers do it, pastors do it, elders do it, everyone does it. Having good theological roots helps... but does not calm the spirit. Why? The accuser is working on the saints (believers);

Gal 5:13 For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity to indulge your flesh, but through love serve one another.

Gal 5:16 But I say, live by the Spirit and you will not carry out the desires of the flesh.

Gal 5:17 For the flesh has desires that are opposed to the Spirit, and the Spirit has desires that are opposed to the flesh, for these are in opposition to each other, so that you cannot do what you want.

Our nature is to be contentious. Look at how atheist's process information!They argue every point, require everything be perfect, as provable fact. It is the way of legalists. The Judizers did this. It is the impenetrable high ground, with the intent of frustrating your heart, so your Spirit will not be in control. When discussions emerge, those who take on "HIGHER" authority, as if it came from the lips of God, well... you can bet they are elevating their personal authority. (See my hackles rise) I too have this contentious spirit in me, we all do, but if we are in the Holy Spirit or shall I say the Spirit is in us/me, then we are doing God's work.

Tit 3:9 But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, quarrels, and fights about the law, because they are useless and empty.

Jam 4:1 Where do the conflicts and where do the quarrels among you come from? Is it not from this, from your passions that battle inside you?

We live under the covenant of Grace, not the law. Grace "perfects" the law, because the law has NOT been abolished, it has been perfected by the blood of the lamb. Sacrifice is necessary for atonement, even for the Jew, that is the law. Jesus fulfilled the law, and now we must try to live by grace, which reveals itself as love.

Rob saido YOU think your church is right? If so, why? If not, why?

I think my church has a righteous spirit, and tries to follow Biblical principles, but we get it wrong, a lot. When we get-it-wrong, I can usually point to our impatience, our will, our vanity, our pride and not God's will. However.... What body of believers can claim perfection? but in the attempt to be such, we do a pretty good job. Accountability is so important for any church... I can't stress that enough. The Church (the bide of Christ) is unblemished in His eyes, because of His blood.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:04 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Very good thoughts, Dave_n_Tenn.

"Right" says.. "I" know. What I am doing or how I am living is right. This leads to, or is, pride.. and does not show the proper faith in God, but in works..."I am better than you."

"Righteous" says.. God knows... I often fail, but the Holy Spirit will lead me (thank God for His grace!) I am no better than the worst sinner... just under the Blood. "I wish that for you."

Quote:
Accountability is so important for any church... I can't stress that enough. The Church (the bide of Christ) is unblemished in His eyes, because of His blood.
Yes.. personal accountability is of utmost importance. The bride of Christ is unblemished... and we are to keep ourselves "unspotted from the world"...

Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:56 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

Tit 3:9 But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, quarrels, and fights about the law, because they are useless and empty.
Yeah, good luck with that.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:40 AM

157 posts, read 624,187 times
The Word of God is clear and if we allow the Spirit to speak to us in that still small voice He will guide us to the true church or group of believers.

A question I ask is, "does the shepherd of this flock fear God and keep His commandments? Do they teach others to do the same? Do they speak according to the law and to the testimony... Is. 8:20 Are they willing to leave the 99 and go look for the one lost sheep and teach the believers to do likewise? This to me would be finding the true church (group of believers)

Since there is no perfect church this side of heaven there will always be contentions unfortunately... keep up the good fight of faith hold fast to what is true... 1st Cor. 13 says we now see in a mirror dimly but then face to face.

It will be great when all christians will sit at the feet of Jesus someday and be able to see clearly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity