Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:11 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,423,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Were you raised Catholic or did your mom convert?
Oh, no no no - I wasn't raised Catholic, nor have I ever been Catholic. (I sure hope I haven't confused people with all my pro-Catholic talk [img]http://******************/confused-smiley-17565.gif[/img]) I simply think the Catholic position is more correct than the Protestant one. Or at least I did. I'm not sure it matters now.

Anyway....my mom was raised Catholic, and then married my dad (who, although not religious, was basically Methodist). They got married in a Methodist church because even though the Catholic position back then was that any children born to a Catholic mother must be raised Catholic, my dad objected to that and wanted instead for me and my brother to decide for ourselves. So basically my mom stopped going to the Catholic Church - but it was a decision she regretted, and has in recent years decided she wants to go back. But she has 2 marriages that would need to be annulled first. She has simply always said that she always felt at peace in the Catholic Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Rob, quite honestly, I feel at peace where I am as well. I'm pretty sure you will get this answer from most people. I was raised in the same type church, so it is where I am comfortable. I believe that as long as the main doctrine is held to (Christ dying for our sins), the the rest is just peripheral issues. I don't think that any denomination has everything 100% correct. I think we will all be surprised at the things we discover when we get to Heaven.
Perhaps. I just know that I'm tired of trying to figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I can understand your frustration with diverse religions all claiming to be right. And u have asked some very good questions, but even if someone gave u the answer would u believe them or be any less frustrated? I don't think any man can answer your first two questions to your satisfaction. Religion is mans attempt to have a relationship with God. Every person who is sincere in this quest must have their own relationship with HIM. I think what u should do is find the answers to your questions for yourself and then u will be satisfied. Pray and ask God to show u the right way. I encourage u to read the Holy Bible. Put some quality time in your relationship with God and I think u will find that only HE is right.
I suppose so. Not sure I care too much anymore. I think I messed up ROYALLY here lately. (I don't mean "here" in C-D. I'm talking about my life.) I honestly felt I was in touch with God - that I had a connection with Him. And I blew it. Now I'm not sure how to undo it. I renounced something (homosexuality) and now I'm not sure I should have. I chose to become something I'm not sure He wanted me to be. But I'm also not sure where else I fit in in this world. So I don't know. For me, the whole church-thing blows chunks right now. And I don't mean that offensively, because I don't feel like getting in trouble for saying something the wrong way. So I'm going to re-emphasize that I'm speaking for MYSELF ONLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 08:25 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,818,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Oh, no no no - I wasn't raised Catholic, nor have I ever been Catholic. (I sure hope I haven't confused people with all my pro-Catholic talk [img]http://******************/confused-smiley-17565.gif[/img]) I simply think the Catholic position is more correct than the Protestant one. Or at least I did. I'm not sure it matters now.

Anyway....my mom was raised Catholic, and then married my dad (who, although not religious, was basically Methodist). They got married in a Methodist church because even though the Catholic position back then was that any children born to a Catholic mother must be raised Catholic, my dad objected to that and wanted instead for me and my brother to decide for ourselves. So basically my mom stopped going to the Catholic Church - but it was a decision she regretted, and has in recent years decided she wants to go back. But she has 2 marriages that would need to be annulled first. She has simply always said that she always felt at peace in the Catholic Church.
Your mom doesn't need an annulment to go to church...she would only need an annulment to be married again in the church. Also that is only if the marriage was performed by the Catholic Church...they don't recognize civil or non-Catholic marriages as sacrements. Please tell her the excommunication for divorce was dropped a bazillion years ago.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:32 PM

^Interesting. She was talking to a Catholic deacon, as well as a nun, not too long ago and they both said that in order for her to take communion, she would need to have her previous marriages annulled. Hmmmmmmm.......

Old 10-18-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
^Interesting. She was talking to a Catholic deacon, as well as a nun, not too long ago and they both said that in order for her to take communion, she would need to have her previous marriages annulled. Hmmmmmmm.......
No that's wrong...she does need to go for reconciliation (new term used for confession) to recieve, but that's it. Tell her to go straight to the priest. Was the nun old? That could explain it.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
No that's wrong...she does need to go for reconciliation (new term used for confession) to recieve, but that's it. Tell her to go straight to the priest. Was the nun old? That could explain it.
I don't know how old the nun was. And yeah, I thought all she would have to do would be go to confession, but apparently she has heard differently. I think she has already started with getting the forms (or whatever) from the church so that they can be mailed to her ex's. I can have her double-check. Thanks for sharing this.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:03 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,818 times
Rob...I think in your mom's case, she should talk to a priest in her diocese. From my understanding, in order to be in full commuinion w/ the catholic church (and receive the sacrament of communion), her previous marriage(s) would need to be annulled.

Divorce is not the issue. Re-marriage is.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Rob...I think in your mom's case, she should talk to a priest in her diocese. From my understanding, in order to be in full commuinion w/ the catholic church (and receive the sacrament of communion), her previous marriage(s) would need to be annulled.

Divorce is not the issue. Re-marriage is.
Yeah but she is divorced I thought. Even if she remarried outside the church (which is where the adultery according to the church comes in) and then divorced again (which means the adultery stopped also)..she's not currently commiting adultery in the eyes of the church because she's not married...so she should be fine with confession unless she wants to marry again. Definitely talk to the priest...but that is my understanding. Or maybe I'm cofused? Beth Ann?

Old 10-19-2007, 11:36 PM

157 posts, read 624,324 times
Quote:
The Bible says what it means. The problem is how it has been translated and/or interpreted.

To what degree does life embrace the diversity you speak of?

Maybe we could get this back on track a little bit....

I haven't heard a lot of people tell me why they think their particular church is the right one for them.
Ok Rob,
I'll tell you why I think my church is the right one for me. We use the Bible as our guide in celebrating all of the 10 commandments and remembering to keep God's Sabbath (Saturday) day holy because He sanctified that day and blessed it and asked us to remember it. We believe that it still holds true today as it did the day He blessed it and said "remember" We don't believe that commandment was nailed to the cross rather it was the ceremonial laws of Moses that were and no where in the Bible did God give anyone authority to change the day of worship. I've searched and could not find anywhere where Sunday became sanctified. We also teach and believe when a person dies they go to the grave..death is a sleep. They will be in the 1st or 2nd resurrection as the Bible teaches. Their breath goes to God but the body goes into the grave not straight to heaven or hell immediately after death. Those are probably some of the main differences between why I chose to attend my church instead of another. It brings me peace to know I'm following my convictions of the Bible truth.

But do I believe that having these beliefs is the way to salvation? Absolutely not! The only way to be saved is through Jesus and what He did for us at the cross. I add this because often people call us legalists for keeping Saturday Sabbath rather than Sunday. But that's ok. I know many here will agree to disagree and that's ok too I believe God has His people in every church and I am not judging anyone who worships on Sunday as their holy day. I respect all people and everyone has the right and freedom to worship according to their convictions. I hope this has answered your question as to why I believe my church is the right one for me.

BTW this was not meant to offend anyone just to simply answer Rob's question. If it came across as offending please forgive my shortcomings

Old 10-20-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah but she is divorced I thought. Even if she remarried outside the church (which is where the adultery according to the church comes in) and then divorced again (which means the adultery stopped also)..she's not currently commiting adultery in the eyes of the church because she's not married...so she should be fine with confession unless she wants to marry again. Definitely talk to the priest...but that is my understanding. Or maybe I'm cofused? Beth Ann?
My mom, being a cradle Catholic, married my dad (a non-practicing Methodist) in a Methodist church in 1960. In 1986, she and my dad weren't actually divorced. According to them, it was called a "dissolution of marriage". (Whatever that means.) The reason they split had to do basically with irreconcilable differences, and the fact that my mom simply wasn't happy anymore.

Then in 1994 (I think), she married a man she met in Arizona. In 1997, they were divorced, with domestic violence cited as the reason.

Then, in 2003 she married her current husband.

So she's currently married. Does that change anything?

Old 10-20-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbee View Post
Ok Rob,
I'll tell you why I think my church is the right one for me. We use the Bible as our guide in celebrating all of the 10 commandments and remembering to keep God's Sabbath (Saturday) day holy because He sanctified that day and blessed it and asked us to remember it. We believe that it still holds true today as it did the day He blessed it and said "remember" We don't believe that commandment was nailed to the cross rather it was the ceremonial laws of Moses that were and no where in the Bible did God give anyone authority to change the day of worship. I've searched and could not find anywhere where Sunday became sanctified. We also teach and believe when a person dies they go to the grave..death is a sleep. They will be in the 1st or 2nd resurrection as the Bible teaches. Their breath goes to God but the body goes into the grave not straight to heaven or hell immediately after death. Those are probably some of the main differences between why I chose to attend my church instead of another. It brings me peace to know I'm following my convictions of the Bible truth.

But do I believe that having these beliefs is the way to salvation? Absolutely not! The only way to be saved is through Jesus and what He did for us at the cross. I add this because often people call us legalists for keeping Saturday Sabbath rather than Sunday. But that's ok. I know many here will agree to disagree and that's ok too I believe God has His people in every church and I am not judging anyone who worships on Sunday as their holy day. I respect all people and everyone has the right and freedom to worship according to their convictions. I hope this has answered your question as to why I believe my church is the right one for me.

BTW this was not meant to offend anyone just to simply answer Rob's question. If it came across as offending please forgive my shortcomings
I wasn't offended at all. Thank you for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity