Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:03 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,839,833 times

Advertisements

The world is not a literal place. The subtleties and nuances of life bring new meaning to us individually ... including those found in the word of God.

Are sunsets the same? but still it's the sun. Do we look the same? and yet we are Humans. Is not a child uniquely formed? and yet each one of us experiences life differently.

Life and truth do not conform to ill guided logic, and assuming common sense. Life embraces diversity, truth provides peace... and some see, and some understand... but never without faith.

Do not look at the picture, see through it ... and look at the image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 03:27 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,243,461 times
A technical manual and a poetry book are both books, yet different.
The goal of a technical manual is to instruct the reader, therefore a technical manual is to be followed by the letter and it can only be interpreted in 1 way: according to the writer, otherwise it doesn't work.
The goal of a poetry book is to give the reader a perspective into the world of the poet, but one is free interprets the poetry any which way you want. Poetry is a personal truth and not an objective truth so it is open for a completely different interpretation.

A scientist needs to stick to the facts to tell the truth, but an artist paints lies to tell the truth.
So what is the bible? A manual written for a scientist or a poetry book written for the artistic soul?
So a both a poetry book and a technical manual follow certain rules and you can't mix these 2 because then it would become nonsensical.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:35 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,424,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
If I understand dojilyn correctly the bible sometimes says 'fear' but means respect.
I just wish the bible would literally say what it meant like respect when it means respect and fear when it means fear.
The Bible says what it means. The problem is how it has been translated and/or interpreted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

Life and truth do not conform to ill guided logic, and assuming common sense. Life embraces diversity, truth provides peace... and some see, and some understand... but never without faith.
To what degree does life embrace the diversity you speak of?

Maybe we could get this back on track a little bit....

I haven't heard a lot of people tell me why they think their particular church is the right one for them.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:45 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,821,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Maybe we could get this back on track a little bit....

I haven't heard a lot of people tell me why they think their particular church is the right one for them.
I feel at peace there.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:48 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,424,460 times
^Okay. That's what my mom says about the Catholic Church, too.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
^Okay. That's what my mom says about the Catholic Church, too.
Were you raised Catholic or did your mom convert?

Old 10-18-2007, 04:55 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,503,561 times
Rob, quite honestly, I feel at peace where I am as well. I'm pretty sure you will get this answer from most people. I was raised in the same type church, so it is where I am comfortable. I believe that as long as the main doctrine is held to (Christ dying for our sins), the the rest is just peripheral issues. I don't think that any denomination has everything 100% correct. I think we will all be surprised at the things we discover when we get to Heaven.

I think the important thing is that we look for a church that ministers to us. Are we growing in the church we attend or are we just sitting stagnant in the pew?

Old 10-18-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Rob, quite honestly, I feel at peace where I am as well. I'm pretty sure you will get this answer from most people. I was raised in the same type church, so it is where I am comfortable. I believe that as long as the main doctrine is held to (Christ dying for our sins), the the rest is just peripheral issues. I don't think that any denomination has everything 100% correct. I think we will all be surprised at the things we discover when we get to Heaven.

I think the important thing is that we look for a church that ministers to us. Are we growing in the church we attend or are we just sitting stagnant in the pew?
Perfect answer!

-----will be back to rep again when "it" lets me.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,281,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Perfect answer!

-----will be back to rep again when "it" lets me.
I tried to rep her for that answer too and "it" said I have given out too many! What are we going to do with "it?"

Old 10-18-2007, 06:11 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,337,412 times
Quote:
I don't know if I care anymore. Sad, huh? Somehow I just think the whole Christian world is totally screwed up. The Catholics are right. No, the Orthodox are right. No, the Protestants are right. No, the Mormons are right. No, the Jehovah's Witnesses are right. No, the Church of Christ is right. No, the Catholics are right. (Yes, I realize I put that twice. The whole argument seems to come full-circle.)

Is ANYONE right??????

Do we even HAVE to be right?????

Do YOU think your church is right? If so, why?

If not, why? (For that matter, why do you go there if you don't think it's right?)
I can understand your frustration with diverse religions all claiming to be right. And u have asked some very good questions, but even if someone gave u the answer would u believe them or be any less frustrated? I don't think any man can answer your first two questions to your satisfaction. Religion is mans attempt to have a relationship with God. Every person who is sincere in this quest must have their own relationship with HIM. I think what u should do is find the answers to your questions for yourself and then u will be satisfied. Pray and ask God to show u the right way. I encourage u to read the Holy Bible. Put some quality time in your relationship with God and I think u will find that only HE is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity