Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 07:22 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Hi.

Right. One thread running throughout some of the OT stories that came to my attention some years ago was the older brother/younger brother or first/last (for instance Saul/David) and how that relates to the old man - Adam/new man - Christ.
That type of exegesis is going to take you on a spiral down...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 07:31 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Actually, it is through the 'lens' of the OT that one is able to understand what is written in the Apostolic letters, which point one back to the OT...
I guess you could look at it both ways. I always think of this passage in regard to the OT: For these rules are only shadows of the reality yet to come. And Christ himself is that reality. I prefer to look at the reality but looking at the shadows, in retrospect, makes them less shadowy.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:09 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
That type of exegesis is going to take you on a spiral down...
Many people think their biblical hermeneutic is the best or only valid one. I'd say it's more like the blind men and the elephant. Looking at things from many different viewpoints adds to our understanding. But the most important "hermeneutic", as I see it, is Christ in us.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:38 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Many people think their biblical hermeneutic is the best or only valid one. I'd say it's more like the blind men and the elephant. Looking at things from many different viewpoints adds to our understanding. But the most important "hermeneutic", as I see it, is Christ in us.
I understand what you are saying, but, I am beginning to understand why there are 32k+ christian denominations in this world, everyone stating that they have the only Truth...We are not all in agreement, as is stated in the Bible that we should be...It is like analogies, if you take them to far, they start to break down...

Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
No, I don't think that's his point. His point, I believe, is addressed to any of us who do not hold to the inerrancy and infallibility of the bible: he does not think we can then consider the bible to be in line with the fruit of the Spirit ("for the fruit of light [spirit] is found in all that is good and right and true") and we cannot trust anything in it at all, including the passages about the fruit of the Spirit or love.

Speaking for myself, I do not have to believe the bible is inerrant or infallible in order for that which is good, right and true to be contained within it. Just as we would not read any other book expecting it to be infallible and yet we can still find that within it which aligns with the fruit of the spirit.

But leaving that discussion completely out of this for the moment ... I still am honestly wondering, Jghorton ... do you take issue with discarding teachings which do not align with the fruit of the Spirit and with "agape" love, and if so why?

What I am saying (again) is that we are called to 'rightly divide God's Word of truth' ... but, not to 'pick and choose what we will believe and reject' ... or 'rewrite what we don't like'. I also believe that Spiritual fruit produced by God's Spirit is the way we are told to recognize God's work ("you will know them by their fruit") --- But, I do so, only because I can trust God and His Written and Living Word. In that respect, the Bible is NOT 'just like any other book.'

Suppose, however, that I choose to reject the part about "God creating the heaven and earth" ... or perhaps, "the lake of fire?" Then I am dealing with God's inspired Word, as if it were 'just another human opinion ('book'. By doing so, I set myself up as the 'judge' of God's Word ... and no longer have a consistently reliable standard for believing or disbelieving anything (including Spiritual fruit). --- While we are to judge all things in the light of God's Word --- we have no authority to judge (accept/reject/discard) parts of God's Word. If 'we' do not believe that God's Word aligns with God Himself, .... WE are in error.

By the way, the "fruit of the Holy Spirit" (Gal. 5:22) evidences God working within us for OUR benefit. In a similar (but, not the same) vein, Spiritual fruit is the result of the application of our Spiritual gifts (eg; evangelism, teaching, etc -- Rom 12, 1Cor 12, Eph 4) ; --- or God working through US for the benefit (edification) of OTHERS (the church).

Last edited by jghorton; 12-25-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 12-25-2012, 11:17 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
When I was in Basic Training in the Miliary, I did all my screwing-up and received discipline and learning there, so, when I entered into the 'real' military I would know better...
Yes, I think we all do some screwing up along the way. If our "teacher" is Christ, we'll finally learn to walk as we should, sooner or later.

Walking in Adam is easy. And the world will even give you a hand. But walking in Christ is new to all of us..

Peace,
brian

Old 12-25-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Hi.

Right. One thread running throughout some of the OT stories that came to my attention some years ago was the older brother/younger brother or first/last (for instance Saul/David) and how that relates to the old man - Adam/new man - Christ.
k:

I've read, too, that God purposely allows the first brother to come forth, which is the impulsive, selfish flesh. Only later, after the flesh has "run its course" and brought forth not life but death, and not creation but destruction... then is when God sends forth the latter, to root up the first and replace it with holiness and righteousness. Esau and Jacob is another example.

Blessings,
brian

Old 12-25-2012, 12:05 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,899 times
Good morning,
There are two parts, elements to our make up.
1. The flesh....represented by Eve (our bodies)
2. The spirit (conscience) represented by the breath of God

These two are wedded as one, in a marriage between heaven and earth resulting in the creation of "a living soul".

In the following verse we see it: Gen 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

Sooo.....the old testament really represents the flesh at it's beginning.
The new testament is the recreation of the old dead spirit into a new spirit of life without end.

The marriage, again is at the cross where both the old and the new are wedded together into a new life.

The cross is the "Tree of life" that was withheld, presented to the world as Jesus.

So the following prophecy in this verse applies: Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now,(Prophecy fulfilled) lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

"lest" is the freedom of choice given without penalty is......what the good news is all about!

Blessings, AJ

Old 12-25-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
k:

I've read, too, that God purposely allows the first brother to come forth, which is the impulsive, selfish flesh. Only later, after the flesh has "run its course" and brought forth not life but death, and not creation but destruction... then is when God sends forth the latter, to root up the first and replace it with holiness and righteousness. Esau and Jacob is another example.

Blessings,
brian
The embarrassment smiley wasn't in the original post..
Just for the record..

Peace,
brian

Old 12-27-2012, 06:35 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
What I am saying (again) is that we are called to 'rightly divide God's Word of truth' ... but, not to 'pick and choose what we will believe and reject' ... or 'rewrite what we don't like'. I also believe that Spiritual fruit produced by God's Spirit is the way we are told to recognize God's work ("you will know them by their fruit") --- But, I do so, only because I can trust God and His Written and Living Word. In that respect, the Bible is NOT 'just like any other book.'

Suppose, however, that I choose to reject the part about "God creating the heaven and earth" ... or perhaps, "the lake of fire?" Then I am dealing with God's inspired Word, as if it were 'just another human opinion ('book'. By doing so, I set myself up as the 'judge' of God's Word ... and no longer have a consistently reliable standard for believing or disbelieving anything (including Spiritual fruit). --- While we are to judge all things in the light of God's Word --- we have no authority to judge (accept/reject/discard) parts of God's Word. If 'we' do not believe that God's Word aligns with God Himself, .... WE are in error.

By the way, the "fruit of the Holy Spirit" (Gal. 5:22) evidences God working within us for OUR benefit. In a similar (but, not the same) vein, Spiritual fruit is the result of the application of our Spiritual gifts (eg; evangelism, teaching, etc -- Rom 12, 1Cor 12, Eph 4) ; --- or God working through US for the benefit (edification) of OTHERS (the church).
Very good post. Paul made it clear in Rom. 8:9 "If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His."
So we must be possessors of the Holy Spirit to be assured of eternal life. And Peter said in Acts 5:32 that God has given the Holy Ghost to "them that obey Him." So we must have an obedient mind if we are to be partakers of the Holy Ghost.
Paul says in Rom 7:6 "Now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter."
So we must have the Spirit of Christ working in us and through us, to be able to keep the commandments of Christ. We cannot accomplish this with a carnal nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity