Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Jehovah's Witnesses to be part of Christianity?
Yes 24 42.11%
No 33 57.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 PM

94 posts, read 160,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith Plus Nothing View Post
So is it true that the Watchtower and JW's believe that the body of Jesus was not resurrected? You could answer that with one simple word so we could all see. Would you be willing to answer that for us? Please!
You can read about the resurrection of Jesus from what I found on JW's website. Hopefully, it answers your question.

The Resurrection of Jesus | Did It Really Happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM

53 posts, read 44,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
You can read about the resurrection of Jesus from what I found on JW's website. Hopefully, it answers your question.

The Resurrection of Jesus | Did It Really Happen?
I am sensing a real resistance from JW's to answer my simple question. I wonder why that would be? Anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had to change names View Post
I mean the Christians who never came under the Roman church when it came to be and then decided to make other churches bow to them. What's a landmarkist?
Landmark Baptists are those that think their denomination was founded by John the Baptist. They don't believe they were ever part of the catholic church.

I personally don't have an issue with the idea that for a time the only representation of Christianity was the catholic church. I think within that there were genuine Christians. It did reach the point where it needed to be reformed....and instead of doing so they kicked out the reformers.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Ignorant comment. Jesus started ONE church. Do you go there?
How was my comment ignorant? I was asking a question.

Although Jesus Christ began preaching about the Kingdom of God, he never started a church. If you are referring to the Catholic Church, one of the apostles Peter later set up the Catholic Church, according to the Catholics. Peter is also regarded as its first Pope.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 PM

53 posts, read 44,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Landmark Baptists are those that think their denomination was founded by John the Baptist. They don't believe they were ever part of the catholic church.

I personally don't have an issue with the idea that for a time the only representation of Christianity was the catholic church. I think within that there were genuine Christians. It did reach the point where it needed to be reformed....and instead of doing so they kicked out the reformers.
John the Baptist was still under the law. There was no Roman church for the first few hundred years. At least not one that was over any other local church. The Roman church would not have had any claim to authority over any other church since it was not the first church. But that's not how Christ true church was built anyway so it's just a waste of time to even discuss it.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I am sensing a real resistance from JW's to answer my simple question. I wonder why that would be? Anyone have any ideas?
For your information, I am not a JW. I shared the website with you in hope that it may answer your question since Beeveenh never answered the question about JW version of Jesus' resurrection.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

I agree with your comment about the Catholic Church. I believe it was the first genuine Christian church. However, it became so corrupted by later Popes and kicking out reformers and declaring them as heretics.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had to change names View Post
Well for instance the SBC has no hierarchy clergy. So no that is not true. The only way to join the Baptist is to join with a local church. They do not recognize any higher authority on earth than the local church.
I was talking in the sense of anybody just going out to establish another Baptist church. Technically, anyone can start a Baptist church since that person doesn't have to get the approval of some President or governing board of that religion. Baptists don't technically have a governing board. They have founding charter members if I am expressing it correctly, and that can be anyone who wants to start a Baptist Church who claim to be a baptized Christians of the Baptist faith.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,372 times
Quote:
Actually what you should have been sensing is that I actually have other things in my life away from the computer.

There is no "simple answer"...and definitely no "real resistance" here. I prefer to use scriptural references so a one word answer will not suffice. So please forgive me if I use more than one word.

1 Corinthians 15:45, 50
45*And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
50*Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

1Peter 3:18
18*For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

Acts 10:40, 41
40*Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;
41*Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.

Given these scriptures, Jehovah's Witnesses conclude that Jesus was resurrected with a spirit body and used his ability to take on a body as needed, when needed. Here is a cut and paste explanation directly from the official website of JWs, which is openly available for all to view:

"It is true that Jesus appeared in physical form to his disciples after his resurrection. But on certain occasions, why did they not at first recognize him? (Luke 24:15-32;*John 20:14-16) On one occasion, for the benefit of Thomas, Jesus appeared with the physical evidence of nail prints in his hands and a spear wound in his side. But how was it possible on that occasion for him suddenly to appear in their midst even though the doors were locked? (John 20:26,*27) Jesus evidently materialized bodies on these occasions, as angels had done in the past when appearing to humans. Disposing of Jesus’ physical body at the time of his resurrection presented no problem for God. Interestingly, although the physical body was not left by God in the tomb (evidently to strengthen the conviction of the disciples that Jesus had actually been raised), the linen cloths in which it had been wrapped were left there; yet, the resurrected Jesus always appeared fully clothed.—John 20:6,*7."

This conversation about the nature of Jesus' resurrection reminds me of a post on the "essential doctrine" thread. Someone posted how Eve went beyond essential doctrine because God said you must not eat the fruit, and Eve said you must not touch the fruit. JWs 100% believe that Jesus was resurrected...plain and simple. I said before, it has never been troubling to me about the condition or whereabouts of Jesus' physical body... He was resurrected and that's what matters.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
I agree with your comment about the Catholic Church. I believe it was the first genuine Christian church.
I'd say it's more likely that the Catholic Church was the victor among a multitude of early Christian denominations which existed shortly after Christ's death. The others simply faded into oblivion once Catholicism took hold.

Quote:
However, it became so corrupted by later Popes and kicking out reformers and declaring them as heretics.
Yeah, that helped, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity