Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:28 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,135,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
You know that there is still controversy concerning the translation, but your argument concerning the spices makes sense. If they have bought and prepared them on Friday, why didn't they go to the tomb on Friday? (Given that Jesus was crucified on Wednesday)

I have the problem that "three days and nights" seems to contradict "third day"

I do not know if we can define a day both as the time of the day when it's bright and as 24 hours; difficult to explain my problem.

If Jesus were dead three entire days and nights (72 hours), He would have risen on the 4th day, likewise if He was killed on the 14th Nissan and rose on the 17th Nissan, or am I wrong?

But if there was only one day between crucification and ressurection, it were not three nights.

What do you think is the correct chronology?

PS: I would suggest that the mods combine this thread with this one: http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...16-9-a-10.html
I agree with your reasoning that you listed. Matthew is the only one of the Gosple that says 3 days, 3 nights. And Mark 16:9-20 was never in the original manuscripts and added later so that it would agree with the other Gospels even though it was written 1rst. I wish since they were all there, that they could just agree and say the same thing in regards to this

But if Jesus really did die on a Wednesday and rise on a Saturday evening what would that mean to you?
How would you apply this to your life?
Would you go about anything your doing now different?
Would could call Good Friday and Easter Sunday a fraud and start keeping passover instead like others i know have done?

Me personally not much would change for me. i wouldnt mind keeping passover, but I dont really know of any Christian churches that i know of that celebrate passover, other than Church Of God assemblies and Hebrew Roots movements type places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I agree with your reasoning that you listed. Matthew is the only one of the Gosple that says 3 days, 3 nights. And Mark 16:9-20 was never in the original manuscripts and added later so that it would agree with the other Gospels even though it was written 1rst. I wish since they were all there, that they could just agree and say the same thing in regards to this

But if Jesus really did die on a Wednesday and rise on a Saturday evening what would that mean to you?
Would you go about anything your doing now different?
Would could call Good Friday and Easter Sunday a fraud and start keeping passover instead like others i know have done?

Me personally not much would change for me. i wouldnt mind keeping passover, but I dont really know of any Christian churches that i know of that celebrate passover, other than Church Of God assemblies and Hebrew Roots movements type places.
JW's do...

Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,333,347 times
Quote:

It is a matter of truth, I want to know the truth.

Christmas on 25th December is also a fraud, so might be Easter. I do not celebrate these days as if they were from God.

Some of those who believe in a Sabbath ressurection believe Jesus was crucified on Thursday, it's a difficult topic.

I do not know for certainty that "mia ton sabbaton" does not mean "first of the week", it might be an idiom. I can remember a discussion with a Catholic woman I once had, she claimed to have asked a Rabbi what this idiom means and that the Rabbi confirmed it, however the Rabbi might have been no linguist himself and was wrong, who knows.

The claim that sabbaton can mean "week" is only based on the NT and might very well be a circular statement.

I looked in wikipedia and it seems the ancient Greeks had no weekdays before the 2nd century AD, so for them a week (ebodomada) possibly were just 7 days, the first of seven days makes no sense which day is meant. But the biblical writers could have written the 8th day, as in the letter of Barnabas, or the the day after Sabbath. And then the Latin translation has also Sabbath instead of week, though it is from a time where weekdays were known. Something doesn't fit.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
JW's do...
I live a 15 second drive from a Kingdom Hall and want no part of that.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post

It is a matter of truth, I want to know the truth.

Christmas on 25th December is also a fraud, so might be Easter. I do not celebrate these days as if they were from God.

Some of those who believe in a Sabbath ressurection believe Jesus was crucified on Thursday, it's a difficult topic.

I do not know for certainty that "mia ton sabbaton" does not mean "first of the week", it might be an idiom. I can remember a discussion with a Catholic woman I once had, she claimed to have asked a Rabbi what this idiom means and that the Rabbi confirmed it, however the Rabbi might have been no linguist himself and was wrong, who knows.

The claim that sabbaton can mean "week" is only based on the NT and might very well be a circular statement.

I looked in wikipedia and it seems the ancient Greeks had no weekdays before the 2nd century AD, so for them a week (ebodomada) possibly were just 7 days, the first of seven days makes no sense which day is meant. But the biblical writers could have written the 8th day, as in the letter of Barnabas, or the the day after Sabbath. And then the Latin translation has also Sabbath instead of week, though it is from a time where weekdays were known. Something doesn't fit.

I agree as well on finding the truth.

Christmas is a fraud since Jesus was born more than likely during Tabernacles and Easter is something else brought on by the Catholic Church since Passover is what they kept. Even though I observe Easter, I am not bothered by all the Babylonian myths, since i dont weep for Tammuz for 40 days and come together to eat ham on Easter Sunday, or do sun rise service, but even folks that do go to those, im sure they are not worshiping the rising sun from the east in honor of a sun God either.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:53 PM

63 posts, read 82,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
rose on Saturday 3 PM. He was not longer in the heart of the earth. That is Hell and not Paradise, because there is no tree of life, which is in the 3. Heaven. When the Gentile Church came to power, they threw out every one that kept the Sabbath and celebrated the 17th Nisan as the Resurrection day (about 325 AD). The Sunday is not the Resurrection day

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

Luk_24:7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.

Luk_24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:55 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 830,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tyson View Post
Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

Luk_24:7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.

Luk_24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.
Shalom!
There is another thread about Mark 16:9 and I wrote about Mat 28:1 and because I do not believe in the Sunday resurrection.
You are a Fundamentalist and you stand on the word of God. So do I. But here we deal with a different case. The RCC has openly acknowledged that they have changed the word of God in this matter and they claim they have the right to do so. That does not proof their priority over other Churches, put their wickedness.
The common believe is that Jesus rose on Sunday morning, but their are problems in the scriptures. If this is a fraud and many when not all translations are influenced through it, then we have to examine the original Greek and what the scribtures say carefully and not to read somethink into the word of God what we believe. This is what believers do all the time.
The fact is,that Sunday or the first day of the week is not in the Greek. Unfortunatly the Greek experts come to different interpretations, which are more based on their believe than what the word says. The same is true with commentaries. This is not an easy matter.
I agree with Luke 24:1. It was Sunday morning, when they came to the tomb, but the tomb was empty and Jesus was already risen. the problem is that their are no witnesses of His resurrection, so you can just make a claim. But you must allow me, to challange this claim. Mary Magdalene came according to John to the tomb, when it was still dark, that is before sunrise and the stone was rolled away. My question, when was the stone rolled away, when not in the end of the Sabbath when Mary Magdalene visited the tomb, that was a day before.
The bible does not say only on the third day, but also after 3 days or in 3 days Jesus would build the temple. But anyway, if the bible says that Jesus was already risen Sunday sunset, the third day is missing, when we count the nights also, as Jesus said, He would be 3 nights in the heart of the earth. Do you think, Jesus did not know what He was telling us? I know the argument when Mat 12:40 means 72 hours it contradics the term "the third day". But we have to realise that Jesus said He would be 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth, which would be IMO 72 hours. But His burial was before sunset and to count from His burial to His resurrection are less than 72 hours that is right, but here the third day applies. Both scriptures are right.
Now we come to Luke 24:21. This is an idiom and not easy to translate. I prefer the YLT version: "and we were hoping that He it is who is about to redeem Israel, and also with all these things, this third day is passing today (has been passing today), since (after) these things happened." This third day relates to the word of Jesus that He would rise from the dead the third day. If this is so, the disciples waited 3 days and when their expectation of the redeption of Israel did not take place and no disciple had seen Jesus, they went disappointed home . It is not reasonable that they went home before the 3 days had passed, so the Sunday is actually the 4th day.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:02 AM

Lev 16:31 It is a sabbath of rest to you, and you shall humble yourself. It is a never ending statute.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:38 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 830,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Please keep in mind that Mark chapter 16 ends at verse 8.
After verse 8 is not part of the original manuscripts.
There are no corresponding verses and passages as there is with the rest of Scripture.
The style of writing changes after verse 8.
Jerome and Eusebius both placed Mark 16 ending at verse 8
Ancient manuscripts such as the Vatican 1209 omit the verses after verse 8.

The Bible's hell [ Hebrew sheol] is simply mankind's grave where the dead sleep the deep sleep of death until resurrected.
[ Ecclesiastes 9 v 5; Psalms 6 v 5; 13 v 3; 115 v 17; 146 v 4; Daniel 12 vs 2,13; John 11 vs 11-14 ]
Please notice where the 'tree of life' is located at Revelation 22 v 2 but on: Earth.
As the original 'tree of life' was located on Earth in Eden, so the return of the tree of life will be during 'God's kingdom of a thousand years' over Earth when Jesus will be king of God's kingdom for a thousand years.

Nisan the 14th was a Friday on the day of Jesus death.
The next day Saturday would be a Great Sabbath [ or double Sabbath ] and would have been a: Saturday.
Saturday because when two legal Sabbaths fell on the same day or 24 hour period that was called a 'Great' Sabbath.
When a regular Sabbath [ 7th day of the week ] fell on the first day of the seven-day 'Festival of Unfermented cakes' Nisan 15, then that Nisan 15 [ Saturday ] coincided with the regular Saturday Sabbath at John 19 v 31
The Great Shabbath is called the Sabbath before Passover (14th of Nisan) and not after.. The annual Sabbath on the 15th of Nisan is called a "High day". There are 3 on the main feasts. A cruzifixion on Friday is impossible according to Mat 12:40, not even the third day by inclusive reckoning, when you count day and night seperate as Jesus said.
That the tree of life was and will be again on earth I agree, but Paul said that the Paradise is now in the third heaven, but Jesus went to the deepest part in the earth, there is no Paradise and no grave, I do not agree. You will not solve this problem, I tried once and could not solve it. Abrahams bossom was there and the dead were very much concience, but that place was also not called Paradise. I got the revelation that the comma is wrong. Jesus was asked to remember the one in His kingdom, and He answered: " I say to you now (today), you will be with me in Paradise. " That is the only solution. The original Greek had no punctuation. When Jesus was resurrected, Abrahams bossom went with Him to Paradise.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
The Great Shabbath is called the Sabbath before Passover (14th of Nisan) and not after.. The annual Sabbath on the 15th of Nisan is called a "High day". There are 3 on the main feasts. A cruzifixion on Friday is impossible according to Mat 12:40, not even the third day by inclusive reckoning, when you count day and night seperate as Jesus said.
That the tree of life was and will be again on earth I agree, but Paul said that the Paradise is now in the third heaven, but Jesus went to the deepest part in the earth, there is no Paradise and no grave, I do not agree. You will not solve this problem, I tried once and could not solve it. Abrahams bossom was there and the dead were very much concience, but that place was also not called Paradise. I got the revelation that the comma is wrong. Jesus was asked to remember the one in His kingdom, and He answered: " I say to you now (today), you will be with me in Paradise. " That is the only solution. The original Greek had no punctuation. When Jesus was resurrected, Abrahams bossom went with Him to Paradise.
Where does Paul state that Paradise is now in the third Heaven?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity