Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 AM

473 posts, read 822,089 times

Advertisements

I saw this question posted at another site and thought that I would list the names of the original Apostles.
**(i know only matthew, mark, luke and john wrote the gospels but why did the other 8 apostles not write anything)**

Matthew 10:2-4--Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, SIMON, who is called PETER, and ANDREW his brother; JAMES, the son of Zebedee, and JOHN his brother;
3--PHILIP, and BARTHOLOMEW; THOMAS, and MATTHEW the publican; JAMES the son of Apheus, and LEBBEUS, whose surname was THADDEUS;(LEBBEUS THADDEUS was also known as JUDAS son of James--Luke 6:16, Matthew 10:3)
4--SIMON the Canaanite, and JUDAS ISCARIOT, who also betrayed him.

Later after Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus(Jesus had already been crucified) the apostles replaced Judas Iscariot with Matthias. Some Bible teachers believe that Matthias was an "invalid" choice and that Saul/Paul was God's chosen to be the twelfth Apostle.

Yeshua Bless You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
I saw this question posted at another site and thought that I would list the names of the original Apostles.
**(i know only matthew, mark, luke and john wrote the gospels but why did the other 8 apostles not write anything)**

Matthew 10:2-4--Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, SIMON, who is called PETER, and ANDREW his brother; JAMES, the son of Zebedee, and JOHN his brother;
3--PHILIP, and BARTHOLOMEW; THOMAS, and MATTHEW the publican; JAMES the son of Apheus, and LEBBEUS, whose surname was THADDEUS;(LEBBEUS THADDEUS was also known as JUDAS son of James--Luke 6:16, Matthew 10:3)
4--SIMON the Canaanite, and JUDAS ISCARIOT, who also betrayed him.

Later after Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus(Jesus had already been crucified) the apostles replaced Judas Iscariot with Matthias. Some Bible teachers believe that Matthias was an "invalid" choice and that Saul/Paul was God's chosen to be the twelfth Apostle.

Yeshua Bless You
1Co 15:5 and that He appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve.
Doesn't this make 13?...Paul was not even on the scene yet here...So, is this stating that Yeshua appeared to Peter, then to the Twelve, which would have included Judas AND Matthias...

Joh 20:24 But Thomas, one of the Twelve, the one called Twin, was not with them when Jesus came.

Why here does it state "one of the Twelve" and not "one of the Eleven"?...Matthaias was not chosen until after Yeshua ascended to the Father...Did Judas still have a chance, did Yeshua forgive him, but Judas just walked away from it?...Or committed suicide because he realized what he had done, even though he had been forgiven?...

Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Doesn't this make 13?...Paul was not even on the scene yet here...So, is this stating that Yeshua appeared to Peter, then to the Twelve, which would have included Judas AND Matthias...
No. Peter was included in the 13. It was like saying Jesus spoke to Peter....then the whole group..including Peter. Peter saw him twice in that sequence.
Quote:
Joh 20:24 But Thomas, one of the Twelve, the one called Twin, was not with them when Jesus came.

Why here does it state "one of the Twelve" and not "one of the Eleven"?...Matthaias was not chosen until after Yeshua ascended to the Father...Did Judas still have a chance, did Yeshua forgive him, but Judas just walked away from it?...Or committed suicide because he realized what he had done, even though he had been forgiven?...
"the twelve" was a way of saying "the group".

As for the question of Judas' salvation? The text doesn't say much about it. The last known status was that he had not been restored. We'd be reading into the text to suggest he had been, so I wouldn't be willing to suggest that myself. But I'd hardly call you a heretic for suggesting it was possible.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:53 AM

473 posts, read 822,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

Good question.
1 Corinthians 15:5(KJV)--And then he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve.
Here there is no (and) before refering to twelve. Maybe it means that at that time Peter was a part of only twelve apostles--later there were more than twelve.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Good question.
Here there is no (and) before refering to twelve. Maybe it means that at that time Peter was a part of only twelve apostles--later there were more than twelve.
This demonstrates that something as simple as the number apostles can't be relied upon. How can things even more complicated be accepted?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Good question.
What does it say in the original language? I myself have become very suspicious of relying upon KJV in particular because the English of the time is not the same as the English of today.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. Peter was included in the 13. It was like saying Jesus spoke to Peter....then the whole group..including Peter. Peter saw him twice in that sequence.

I like your take.

The Apostles are milling around the room, and Jesus appears among them. He happens to have materialized right next to Peter, so he says "Hey, Pete, what's happening?" Then He waves to the room and says "Hey, guys, what's going on?"

Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

As for the question of Judas' salvation? The text doesn't say much about it. The last known status was that he had not been restored. We'd be reading into the text to suggest he had been, so I wouldn't be willing to suggest that myself. But I'd hardly call you a heretic for suggesting it was possible.
Luk 24:9 And returning from the tomb, they reported all these things to the Eleven, and to all the rest.
Luk 24:10 And they were Mary Magdalene, and Joanna, and Mary mother of James, and the rest with them, who told these things to the apostles.
Luk 24:11 And their words seemed like foolishness to them, and they did not believe them. Luk 24:12 But rising up, Peter ran to the tomb, and stooping down he saw the linen lying alone. And he went away wondering to himself at what had happened.
Luk 24:33 And rising up in the same hour, they went back to Jerusalem, and they found the Eleven, and those with them, having been gathered,
Luk 24:34 saying, The Lord really was raised and appeared to Simon.
Luk 24:35 And they related the things in the highway, and how He was known to them in the breaking of the loaf.
Luk 24:36 And as they were telling these things, Jesus Himself stood in their midst, and said to them, Peace to you!
If this be true then why does it say the Eleven above here?...The same account in John doesn't state the number but relates that Thomas was missing from that gathering, so it should have been The Ten...but in Luke it states that Eleven were assembled when Yeshua appeared in their midst...Twelve minus Thomas would make Eleven...

Joh 20:18 Mary Magdalene came bringing word to the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that He told her these things.
Joh 20:19 Then it being evening on that day, the first of the sabbaths, and the doors having been locked where the disciples were assembled because of fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst and said to them, Peace to you.
Joh 20:20 And saying this, He showed them His hands and side. Then seeing the Lord, the disciples rejoiced.
Joh 20:21 Then Jesus said to them again, Peace to you. As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.
Joh 20:22 And saying this, He breathed on them and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit.
Joh 20:23 Of whomever you may remit the sins, they are remitted to them. Of whomever you hold, they have been held.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
What does it say in the original language? I myself have become very suspicious of relying upon KJV in particular because the English of the time is not the same as the English of today.
Twelve in 1611 is Twelve in 2013...

Old 02-18-2013, 06:23 AM

289 posts, read 289,820 times
Quote:

Yeshua Bless You
Mark and Luke were not numbered among the apostles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity