Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
As long as eternal punishment and wrath are not clothed in "Love," I would agree with you, Finn.
It is not dressed in anything, so don't try to make it sound like someone suggested such thing.

There are two things, life and death. Life is our Loving God's gift to us, and death is what happens when you reject the gift:

LIFE: Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life (John 3:36)

DEATH: but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them (John 3:36)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is not dressed in anything, so don't try to make it sound like someone suggested such thing.

There are two things, life and death. Life is our Loving God's gift to us, and death is what happens when you reject the gift:

LIFE: Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life (John 3:36)

DEATH: but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them (John 3:36)

God "loves" you so much... but hell/death awaits you if....

That is not love.

Peace.
brian

Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Folks need to realize that God is Love, but he does punish people too that dont keep his commands. Just look through the OT in what he did to all those disobedient nations. He is still the same God and if we dont keep his commands we will face future judgement. It may not sound like Love, but it is biblical.

The feel good doctrines pushed by Joel Olsteen and others is the reason why Christianity is so divided too as they are all about love and feel good, but what God commands of you is secondary, so at that point is where Person A says you should do that according to scriptures and Person B says, its okay just Love everyone and not focus on the bible so much.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
God "loves" you so much... but hell/death awaits you if.... That is not love.
People can read my own words, or they can read your spin on it, it is their choise.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
one thing is destruction and one it infinite torture. sodom is no longer exists. it is gone. those folks died. Yes, God will judge, there is no doubt about that. But what is judgement? if judgement means He will punish and torture, then i am looking forward to the day where i judge angels. i am going to show those angels my love. they will be judged harshly. it is because i love them angels.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 AM

231 posts, read 327,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Folks need to realize that God is Love, but he does punish people too that dont keep his commands. Just look through the OT in what he did to all those disobedient nations. He is still the same God and if we dont keep his commands we will face future judgement. It may not sound like Love, but it is biblical.

The feel good doctrines pushed by Joel Olsteen and others is the reason why Christianity is so divided too as they are all about love and feel good, but what God commands of you is secondary, so at that point is where Person A says you should do that according to scriptures and Person B says, its okay just Love everyone and not focus on the bible so much.
It's the times we live in. The late modern era has no place for "the" truth. Everyone is right, nobody is wrong, everyone is loved, accepted, special, a winner. To be otherwise is unamerican.

Persecution today doesn't come by martyrdom from the Romans or rape from the barbarians. It is your unwavering dedication to God, proclaimed in the holy writ. As long as it lines up with today's worldview, you'll be fine. Love, peace, acceptance...this is what is proclaimed from the pulpit of scared pastors who want to fill up their basketball stadiums.

Every bit of false Christianity is an unbalanced approach to very few pieces of the Scripture. Gal. 2:20 for the higher life movement, 1 Cor. 15:28 for the universalists, Col. 1:15 for the Jehovah Witnesses, Malachi for the Prosperity Gospel, etc., typically accompanied by "the" translation of the Greek & Hebrew.

The largest philosophies will die, but they will die kicking and screaming. Don't expect this late modern movement to end anytime soon. We've just begun.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:58 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Those were largely defined almost 2 millenia ago. Historically, the Christian faith has held to a core set of doctrine--including the deity of Christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
If you do not believe Jesus is divine, you are worshiping someone other than the one true God and breaking the first commandment.
Who's questioning the deity of Christ? Certainly not me.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
My parents are devout Christians and have devoted 20 years of their lives to being missionaries in India. They give the world love without announcing themselves. You wouldn't know their beliefs unless you asked them--you would just know that they love people and are committed to making everyone feel loved without judgement. I wish all Christians were like them.
I wish that, too.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Again....on this board people don't act like they do in real life. It's the nature of things.
That's unfortunate, isn't it? I can't say that about myself. I have many, many flaws, but I am pretty transparent online. For the most part, the person you see here is exactly the same person you would see if you were to meet me in person. If you like me online, you'd like me in person. If you can't stand me online, you wouldn't be able to stand me in person. I have no need to hide behind false courtesy to make a bunch of strangers like me, and likewise have no need to take advantage of the anominity of the internet to be hostile to people whom I don't have to look in the eye. I'm definitely not the only one here with integrity, either, so perhaps it's best not to generalize.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:09 AM

231 posts, read 327,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Who's questioning the deity of Christ? Certainly not me.
I misunderstood. The point of a creed is to distinguish between true and false religion. You're free to make up your own creed and as long as it's Scriptural, there's no problem. The Apostles', Nicene, and Athanasian creeds are meant to limit ambiguity. They're agreed upon as true (definition of creed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity