Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 10:57 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Does this say "Love your neighbor as yourself"? Once again, I will point out to you that I was correcting your flawed understanding of Mark 12:31.
"As I have loved you, so you must love"

You don't think Jesus loved others as he loved himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:03 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Am I in a twilight zone, or what? Paul and James state that the Law if fulfilled in Love--just as Jesus said. But again, Jesus never told us to do that. You have yet to show me a verse where he stated it.

But again, if you aren't able to remember my name....what reason would I have to think you could correctly exegete scripture?
You and Finn are the same person, your style is identical. No other posters posts resemble anything like those of those posted under Vizio and Finn Jarber.

Jesus said love your neighbor as yourself.

If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right James 2:8.

I cannot believe that I am debating a so called pastor on this issue. Final post on this issue. You need to resign from your position if you are a pastor.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:06 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You and Finn are the same person, your style is identical. No other posters posts resemble anything like those of those posted under Vizio and Finn Jarber.
So you do know my name. Good to see.
Quote:
Jesus said love your neighbor as yourself.
No, he didn't. He said that to do so was to fulfill the Law. But he didn't say to do it.
Quote:
If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right James 2:8.
But as I pointed out, none of us can. 2 verses later James states that to break part of the Law is to break all of it. So the fact that you have lied about me here shows that you are a Lawbreaking Sinner.
Quote:
I cannot believe that I am debating a so called pastor on this issue. Final post on this issue. You need to resign from your position if you are a pastor.
You haven't gotten a thing right on this thread, but you have lied about me and insulted me personally. For someone that is as loving as you claim to be, that's strange.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:06 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Because he never did. As I've explained numerous times here, he never told us to love our neighbors as ourselves. He was asked a question, and this was his answer about the greatest commandment, and that the Law was summed up in it. But he never commanded this to us.
Stop playing these literal games about the specific words used. Love one another is not ambiguous and needn't be the specific phrase you are harping on. It IS essential and HAS BEEN commanded many times.

1 John 3:23 (King James Version)
23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

1 John 4:21 (King James Version)
21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

John 13:34 (King James Version)
34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 15:9-10 (King James Version)
9As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15:12 (King James Version)
12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

John 15:17 (King James Version)
17These things I command you, that ye love one another.

This theme of love is ubiquitous in the Gospel . . . yet it has been downplayed for the Bad News of hell. Easy believism is touted but love is all it is about because it is through love that we know God, period.

1 John 3:11 (King James Version)
11For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1 John 4:7 (King James Version)
7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

1 John 4:11-12 (King James Version)
11Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
12No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Stop playing these literal games about the specific words used. Love one another is not ambiguous and needn't be the specific phrase you are harping on. It IS essential and HAS BEEN commanded many times.

1 John 3:23 (King James Version)
23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

1 John 4:21 (King James Version)
21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

John 13:34 (King James Version)
34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 15:9-10 (King James Version)
9As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15:12 (King James Version)
12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

John 15:17 (King James Version)
17These things I command you, that ye love one another.

This theme of love is ubiquitous in the Gospel . . . yet it has been downplayed for the Bad News of hell. Love is all it is about because it is through love that we know God, period.

1 John 3:11 (King James Version)
11For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1 John 4:7 (King James Version)
7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

1 John 4:11-12 (King James Version)
11Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
12No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
I've never suggested that we shouldn't love one another. But I have demonstrated repeatedly here that Jesus never told us that we had to do so for salvation.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
I've never suggested that we shouldn't love one another. But I have demonstrated repeatedly here that Jesus never told us that we had to do so for salvation.
OF course not . . . because we have to do NOTHING for salvation. Christ DID IT for us all. We need only to be sanctified under His love for us all BY "love of God and each other" daily and repenting when we don't. This is how we achieve some resonant harmonic with His perfect love for us all. We do not need to achieve His perfect love . . . just some resonant harmonic to be covered by His perfection.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:21 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Goal post shift?

Old 05-25-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
OF course not . . . because we have to do NOTHING for salvation. Christ DID IT for us all. We need only to be sanctified under His love for us all BY "love of God and each other" daily and repenting when we don't. This is how we achieve some resonant harmonic with His perfect love for us all. We do not need to achieve His perfect love . . . just some resonant harmonic to be covered by His perfection.
And no one suggested otherwise Mystic.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:38 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
And no one suggested otherwise Mystic.

Well, this may just be semantics, but I believe sanctification is part and parcel of salvation... can't have one without the other. We must all be sanctified by God's Spirit within us in order to experience salvation/healing. If we aren't transformed by the love of God working in and through us, we cannot be saved. Thank God, we will all be transformed as we love others as ourselves.

aisi

Old 05-25-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Well, this may just be semantics, but I believe sanctification is part and parcel of salvation... can't have one without the other. We must all be sanctified by God's Spirit within us in order to experience salvation/healing. If we aren't transformed by the love of God working in and through us, we cannot be saved. Thank God, we will all be transformed as we love others as ourselves.

aisi
I agree Pleroo. Unfortunately many of us don't like what we see in the mirror, because of the doctrine of separation and not remembering who we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity