Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:17 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times

Advertisements

When we sin is it really always the devil who made us do it? For all of us who remember Flip Wilson, that was his catch phrase "The devil made me do it". Now by blaming the devil for every sin we commit, are we really at fault? We're blaming him...but ultimately because of our being born in sin nature, aren't we responsible for all of our actions? We have the choice to either sin or be righteous in our actions.

And, since the devil is not omnipresent, like he'd like us to think he is, how could he make me do something here in Minnesota and then be down in Houston and make ILNC do something, and then off to North Carolina to mess with Alpha...all at the same time? Only God is ominpresent (everywhere at all times).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 12:25 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Yep, frequently a cop-out when we choose to do something because of our carnal nature. However, though you are right, Satan is not omnipresent like God, the Bible (even Jesus) acknowledged demons who may be able to tempt and torment us individually, no question.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:25 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
"The Devil Made Me Do It," is a good excuse to doing something that you really wanted to do. It's a way of trying to get out of being responsible for our own actions.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:54 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
sadly I think alot of the stuff that we do comes right out of our onw hearts, and when we cant bear to blame ourselves, we "cop out" and say the devil made me do it, when in reality the devil cant make us do anything IMHO of course.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:07 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
When we sin is it really always the devil who made us do it? For all of us who remember Flip Wilson, that was his catch phrase "The devil made me do it". Now by blaming the devil for every sin we commit, are we really at fault? We're blaming him...but ultimately because of our being born in sin nature, aren't we responsible for all of our actions? We have the choice to either sin or be righteous in our actions.

And, since the devil is not omnipresent, like he'd like us to think he is, how could he make me do something here in Minnesota and then be down in Houston and make ILNC do something, and then off to North Carolina to mess with Alpha...all at the same time? Only God is ominpresent (everywhere at all times).
Interesting thread, Hoosier! I'm not sure if I've ever thought the devil not being omnipresent, but you are right. His demons under his control are everywhere IMO, tho, and people are getting tempted simultaneously. I think it does help sometimes to recognize that we are being "seduced" to sin, and the reasons behind it, but at the same time to realize that the devil can not make us do it... God gives grace enough to resist.

As far as if every notion to do wrong is a direct temptation from the devil or his demons, idk... altho indirectly it all is, because of our sin nature as a result of mankind originally falling for his deception. Some of that deception is what we have to continually deal with! Our way always seems better....

Old 11-05-2007, 01:13 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
"The Devil Made Me Do It," is a good excuse to doing something that you really wanted to do. It's a way of trying to get out of being responsible for our own actions.

Absolutely. If I did-do something wrong, I "made myself do that" not the devil.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:29 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
The devil doesn't make us do it,but he is there to tempt us.It is our choice and our choice only to do wrong out of temptation, like it was in the Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:33 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Just my opinion...Satan is god of everything evil including, war, hate, pride,etc, etc..all of these lead to death...The reward of sin...The devil doesn't make us do anything..Our free will gives us the choice of doing good or evil..If we choose evil later want out and want out, we still have free will to choose...The way back to God is through prayer..IMO Satan has no power over prayerIf you are in prayer, you are in control..

Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
My friends daughter when she was 6 tried to do the table cloth trick, when you pull the table cloth out and everything on the table stays...well her excuse was that the angel on her right shoulder and the devil on her left were arguing so much over if she should do it not that she couldn't hear them and thought they had agreed it was a good idea. I thought that was incredibly creative and cute.

When adults claim the same excuse however it's not so cute, IMO.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:45 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
I don't want to sound redundant," But the devil made me do it", is a sleazy excuse ; except when one is the devil and possessed by him. As far as being influenced by his wiles; I do believe that the fiery darts are aimed straight at the bullseye of the believers mind, but like someone already stated, they are ineffective against the blood of Jesus", But I wouldn't undermine him at all. because he's is so crafty and deceptive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity