Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 03:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Go back to post #61 where it has already been spelled out, actually read what I wrote about Jude 1:6-7, and exercise that reading comprehension. The grammatical rules demand that the nearest antecedent to which 'toutois' in verse 7 can refer is 'angels' in verse 6.
I read what you wrote

I just don't agree that you have interpreted the Bible accurately at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 04:44 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I read what you wrote

Quote:
It appears as though you do not understand the definition of "procreate".

Here it is for your edification

Definition of PROCREATE from Merriam Websters:

transitive verb
: to beget or bring forth (offspring) : propagate

intransitive verb
: to beget or bring forth offspring : reproduce
Quote:
I understand the definition of procreation just fine. That's why I said that angels are not born and that their number has been steady since their initial creation before God created the earth.
Quote:
An ability to "procreate" is not about being born

The ability to procreate, which angels do not have, is about causing someone else to be born.
Quote:
If you will exercise a bit of reading comprehension you will see that that is what I am talking about. Since angels don't procreate, there are no more angels in existence now then when they were originally created.

However, that does not mean that when they assume human form and appearance that they can't have sexual intercourse with a human female and cause her to become pregnant.
Quote:
My reading comprehension is fine

There are no more angels now because God hasn't created anymore.

And please tell me where in Jude 1:6-7 it says angels "went after strange flesh"?? Good grief. Jude was writing to Jewish Christians to warn them against believing false teachings/false teachers and about what happens to those who rebel against God.

Jude 1:6-7

New International Version (NIV)

6 And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their proper dwelling—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day. 7 In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Jude 1:6-7

English Standard Version (ESV)

6 And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day— 7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire,[a] serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.
Mike, do you think the so called angels are homosexual, bisexual, or heterosexual?
It's the 'Messengers of God' in human form that did not maintain their status:

"In the days of old, they took many wives and concubines; indulging in various immoral acts."

Just asked Bathsheba and her dead husband?
And while you are contemplating:

Who or what tempted David?

Last edited by Jerwade; 06-26-2013 at 04:59 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
I read what you wrote

Mike thinks that he is teaching you, so go back to post no. 61...

Old 06-27-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Mike thinks that he is teaching you, so go back to post no. 61...
I know he does, bless his heart.

And I have no doubt his intentions are honorable and good

Old 06-27-2013, 08:33 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
I know he does, bless his heart.

And I have no doubt his intentions are honorable and good
Just trying to tell you what the Bible says without trying to rationalize it away.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Just trying to tell you what the Bible says without trying to rationalize it away.
No, some of you like Mike are trying to tell me what you think the Bible says.

I just don't agree with your interpretation of what it says

Old 06-27-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
No, some of you like Mike are trying to tell me what you think the Bible says.

I just don't agree with your interpretation of what it says
It's pretty straightforward. You don't like reading it as it is because it conflicts with your theology. So it goes.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
It's pretty straightforward. You don't like reading it as it is because it conflicts with your theology. So it goes.
LOL, no reason to be insulting.

It is apparently NOT very straightforward if you believe the Nephilim could have sex or procreate.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
LOL, no reason to be insulting.

It is apparently NOT very straightforward if you believe the Nephilim could have sex or procreate.
It's fairly standard fare in mythology, the only part that is mildly surprising is that there seems to be no tradition of the exploits of these "heroes of old" as in Greek, Norse and pretty much any other mythology that talks about the mating of "gods" and humans.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
It's fairly standard fare in mythology, the only part that is mildly surprising is that there seems to be no tradition of the exploits of these "heroes of old" as in Greek, Norse and pretty much any other mythology that talks about the mating of "gods" and humans.
Sure I agree, this is "fairly standard fare in mythology".

But we are talking about the Bible and God's angels - who were not able to procreate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity