Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many Bibles do you own?
1-5 Bibles 16 48.48%
6-10 Bibles 7 21.21%
More than 10 10 30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:44 PM

123 posts, read 166,529 times

Advertisements

Personally I own close to 10 and my favorite version is Amplified. I like that it delves deeper into the Greek and Hebrew meanings behind some words. It is harder to memorize because it's wordy though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 02:12 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
NIV 84 .... because God's Word has always been written in the common day language yet remain true to the greater message from God himself and the NIV 84 was that happy medium between the awkward \ hard to read word for word vs the other problem deluding the exactness.

Last edited by twin.spin; 06-22-2013 at 02:28 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 02:30 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
My personal Fave:

Actually I own a couple of very old Latin Bibles (publish date 1700's) Also an 1849 BCP I sold my cottage Bibles Still have a very old illustrated alter Bible too More as collectables, but they do trade well with collectors.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:46 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
I own three: NIV, NKJV and the New American Standard (1995 edition).The NASB is my favorite. The 1995 version reads much better than the previous version from 1977.

Mrs5150 has three also.

Both of our phones have the NASB downloaded (only $6). We don't carry book bibles to church any more, but use our iPhones.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:47 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
I own one that my grandmother specifically left for me and that's the only one I've read.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:06 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
While I own (and distribute) a 'ton' of Bibles, online resources certainly make research across a wide range of translations and studies easier and more efficient. At different times, different translations provide greater clarity and insight.

I taught using the KJV and NKJV for years and always appreciated the poetry of the language. However, in 'Street Ministry' over the years, I found that something folks can more readily understand makes more sense: NIV, NLT, NAS. I really don’t get hung-up on various translation nits, since God has inspired His Word and man’s translations really don’t make that much difference … when one is listening to God.

The 'streets' are filled with barely literate people ... a demographic that seems to be spreading much more widely in today's digital age. So, there is little value in opening the Word to people who must spend half their time figuring out what the words themselves mean.

Since many 'street people'also lack good visual care, large print Bibles also work well (as do paperbacks). Therefore, I've always distributed a lot of large print, paperback, NIV Bibles. (Those inexpensive, tiny print KJV Bibles that many churches distribute are really tough for a wide range of young and old people alike.)

Last edited by jghorton; 06-22-2013 at 03:20 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 07:28 PM

796 posts, read 858,919 times
I have over a dozen bibles. I use the KJV for everyday reading and in my bible study class along with the NIV and HCSB. I have a couple of Greek NT's and a Hebrew OT that I use as well. I suppose my favorite is still the KJV just because it's the most common.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:31 PM

796 posts, read 858,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
While I own (and distribute) a 'ton' of Bibles, online resources certainly make research across a wide range of translations and studies easier and more efficient. At different times, different translations provide greater clarity and insight.

I taught using the KJV and NKJV for years and always appreciated the poetry of the language. However, in 'Street Ministry' over the years, I found that something folks can more readily understand makes more sense: NIV, NLT, NAS. I really don’t get hung-up on various translation nits, since God has inspired His Word and man’s translations really don’t make that much difference … when one is listening to God.

The 'streets' are filled with barely literate people ... a demographic that seems to be spreading much more widely in today's digital age. So, there is little value in opening the Word to people who must spend half their time figuring out what the words themselves mean.

Since many 'street people'also lack good visual care, large print Bibles also work well (as do paperbacks). Therefore, I've always distributed a lot of large print, paperback, NIV Bibles. (Those inexpensive, tiny print KJV Bibles that many churches distribute are really tough for a wide range of young and old people alike.)
Are you having bibles printed or buying them in bulk? I am always looking for a source for bibles at a good price. PM me if you have any thing you can share with me.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Actual hard copies, i have an NIV that is my preaching Bible. It's what our church tends to use mostly.

I have a study Bible but dont really use it. Almost all of my reading is on the ipad or Bible computer program. I study from the NASB or ESV. They are the 2 versions that are about the closest to what the original languages say.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Well, there are five just on the bookshelf in my office. I'd guess, if I counted them all, there would be 25 to 30 in different versions and languages and printings. I inherited the German language Bible my great-great-grandfather carried into battle in the Civil War. (God forbid the house burns down it's one of the things we grab. That and the cat.)

My current favorite is Da Jesus Book which is the NT in pidgin Hawaiian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity