Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 09:55 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Mooseketeer
Quote:
Fairy Tales are some of the darkest stories ever written. And deal mostly not only with white magic but a lot of black magic too. ( Snow White, Sleeping Beauty etc..).
What is magic?
To people of the 4th century flipping a light switch can only be magic.
So to me it seems obvious that magic is just science that we do not understand yet.
I mean is Leonardo da Vinci a prophet, simply because he drew a tank and a helicopter long before science had the actual technology to create them?
And not every science is good, because I wished we never had the knowledge of creating the atomic bomb.

Quote:
There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt (American 32nd US President (1933-45), cousin of Theodore Roosevelt, 26th US president. 1882-1945)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 10:08 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
Harry Potter is not a fairy tale and its realistic situations and embodiments of real-life sorcery and witchcraft place it outside the realm of innocent fantasy. Rowlings herself has admitted that she receives many letters from children begging to be let into her school of witchcraft even though, of course, it does not exist! The sale of books on witchcraft has risen sharply and the topic of witchcraft is one of the most widely researched in libraries.

Does Rowlings have the right to write such books? Of course she does. But those of us opposed to what they embody, no matter how innocently it is packaged, have the right to point out why we don't like them and why we don't want our children reading them.

I see a big difference between Harry Potter and Alice in Wonderland! My children have read the latter, and as far as I know, none of them has ever tried jumping down a rabbit hole.

Preterist
No offense, but have you read the books? They are quite good. They inspire me to be brave, to do the right thing even if it isn't easy, to love others despite their flaws, to forgive...lots of positive things.

Having read all of the books, I can't see what you mean by "realistic situations and embodiments of real-life sorcery and witchcraft". Being slightly familiar with REAL sorcery and witchcraft, I can say with confidence that the magic in HP books is pulled from the broadest generalizations...basically an expanded version of "Abba-cadabra!" is how it comes across to me. Completely inane as far as comparability to real sorcery...it's simply an interesting tool used to convey a classic morality tale, which in addition, borrows heavily from Christianity.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:35 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by MooseketeerWhat is magic?
To people of the 4th century flipping a light switch can only be magic.
So to me it seems obvious that magic is just science that we do not understand yet.
I mean is Leonardo da Vinci a prophet, simply because he drew a tank and a helicopter long before science had the actual technology to create them?
And not every science is good, because I wished we never had the knowledge of creating the atomic bomb.
I know, I don't believe in Magic !

Old 11-22-2007, 02:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
[b][i][quote][quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
ARLINGTON, VA (ANS) -- J. K. Rowling made a recent statement that “Christian inspiration” played a role in her writing of the series of Harry Potter books.
yhwhshalomjr
Likely story; maybe she can sell "the Brookyn Bridge"; What does she think now ? that we are morons? Making this statement is a type of "Oxymoron"
But I like this article:
Before becoming a Christian, Marcia Montenegro was a professional astrologer who taught astrology for several years, and was involved prior to that in Eastern and New Age practices. Through her ministry, Christian Answers for the New Age, Marcia speaks and writes on New Age and occult topics. Based in Arlington, VA, she is the mother of an adult son and the author of SpellBound: The Paranormal Seduction of Today's Kids, (Cook/Life Journey, 2006). You can get more information at CANA - Christian Answers for the New Age.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:08 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Occultism and religion go hand in hand because they are fishing in the same pool. To deny occultism is to deny religion, because what one man calls the occult is a religion to another. They both work on faith.

Quote:
that we are morons? Making this statement is a type of "Oxymoron"
I don't think that calling Christians a moron is an oxymoron. Christians are just like any other people so they can be morons.
Who are you to judge that Rowling could not be inspired by Christianity?
As far as I am concerned there is only one real 'Christian' (although he never called himself like that) and he died on the cross. The rest are just wannabe's who, like Rowling, claim to be inspired by Jesus.
Just because her idea of Christianity is unlike yours doesn't mean that she couldn't be inspired by Jesus or Christianity.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:23 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Occultism and religion go hand in hand because they are fishing in the same pool. To deny occultism is to deny religion, because what one man calls the occult is a religion to another. They both work on faith.

I don't think that calling Christians a moron is an oxymoron. Christians are just like any other people so they can be morons.
Who are you to judge that Rowling could not be inspired by Christianity?
As far as I am concerned there is only one real 'Christian' (although he never called himself like that) and he died on the cross. The rest are just wannabe's who, like Rowling, claim to be inspired by Jesus.
Just because her idea of Christianity is unlike yours doesn't mean that she couldn't be inspired by Jesus or Christianity.
Plus considering she is a "global" author, I don't really see why she would pretend to be a Christian as a way to sell more books.

Considering the large majority of her audience is non Christian she would do better to shut up about her convictions if profit was her motive on this subject.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:36 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
How Christian is J K Rowling’s “Christian Inspiration” for the series of Harry Potter books?

Not very. She was inspired by the devil to write these books to bring her out of poverty in which she has. She has made a pact with the devil and will pay a awful price for her sins of turning millions toward witchcraft and the occult. No Christian should read, or even think about reading these books if your walking in the spirit.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:42 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
How Christian is J K Rowling’s “Christian Inspiration” for the series of Harry Potter books?

Not very. She was inspired by the devil to write these books to bring her out of poverty in which she has. She has made a pact with the devil and will pay a awful price for her sins of turning millions toward witchcraft and the occult. No Christian should read, or even think about reading these books if your walking in the spirit.
You state as fact Ms. Rowling has "made a pact with the devil" and was "inspired by the devil".

How do you know that, and where is the factual proof?

Old 11-22-2007, 10:30 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
How many people can we honestly prove have turned into witches, warlocks or devil worshippers from a few books of fiction....When we start banning books and movies, we may as well burn the constitution..Personally, I enjoyed the movie I saw and the book I read and discussed with a grandson..He and I both knew that the story was not true and was not meant for anything but to entertain us and to stimulate our imaginations..For my grandson, he now has found a new pasttime..Reading He enjoys historical stories about the Us.. He loved "Of Mice and Men" and is reading "Tuesdays with Morey" now

Old 11-22-2007, 10:33 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times
I saw the first movie, I've watched part of the others. My kids know the difference between truth and fiction. If they didn't, then I would really be worried about my parenting skills.
Personally, Harry Potter isn't my cup of tea, but I'm just not into that stuff. Give me a good comedy and I'm set!

What I do find odd, is that something like Harry Potter can be the root of so much discontent. WOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity