Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 07:45 PM

535 posts, read 967,293 times

Advertisements

I have seen David Barton in person talk about American history and was impressed. Today, I read an article relating a Veteran's Day 2013 broadcast message by David Barton and Kenneth Copeland. Honestly, I've heard the name Kenneth Copeland but I've never listened to him. The article caught my attention because of David Barton. Like I said, I've heard him talk about American history but have no clue to his personal beliefs.

I'm unsure if the video is the entire broadcast or a segment of a longer broadcast. The treatment they recommend is no drugs and no psychotherapy.

The article also quotes some pastors and psychologists who have taken issue with Barton's and Copeland's presentation.
Quote:
“It is obvious that they do not have knowledge of the condition,” said Warren Throckmorton, a Grove City College psychology professor who has written on Barton. “Copeland and Barton err theologically as well by taking specific Scriptures written in relationship to Israel and apply them to American armies.”
The NIMH says regarding PTSD treatment:
Quote:
The main treatments for people with PTSD are psychotherapy (“talk” therapy), medications, or both. Everyone is different, so a treatment that works for one person may not work for another. It is important for anyone with PTSD to be treated by a mental health care provider who is experienced with PTSD. Some people with PTSD need to try different treatments to find what works for their symptoms.
If someone with PTSD is going through an ongoing trauma, such as being in an abusive relationship, both of the problems need to be treated. Other ongoing problems can include panic disorder, depression, substance abuse, and feeling suicidal.
NIMH · Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
The VA recommends several treatment options, Treatment - PTSD: National Center for PTSD

Should one suffering from PTSD follow Barton's and Copeland's treatment regimen or a physician's or psychologist's treatment program?
David Barton & Kenneth Copeland: PTSD isn't biblical | Religion News Service

Barton & Copeland: The Bible Says Soldiers Should Not Suffer From Guilt Or PTSD - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 PM

668 posts, read 690,856 times
Copeland is not known for accuracy or factual teachings so I would avoid anything he endorses or teaches.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:23 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
There are no winners in war; only survivors.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:22 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Let's be honest. Copeland is a wacko. If he'd wear a bit more make-up, he might even qualify as a clown.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:28 PM

668 posts, read 690,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Let's be honest. Copeland is a wacko. If he'd wear a bit more make-up, he might even qualify as a clown.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:02 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Copeland is the fodder for religion-hating atheists. He hurts the name of Christianity. I would not recommend listening to him. I'm amazed that some people take him seriously.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
I would suggest guiltless has more to do with differentiating murder from killing; whereas the first breaks a commandment, and the second is a command of conflict/war. They are also suggesting guilt is a part of PTSD. How about horror? How about fear that you would be taken in death? How about just the simple atrocity of war? PTSD is known for helplessness, flashbacks, physiological reactions, hypervigilance, etc. I have seen PTSD and guilt is not part of the picture - the people are seeking health and cannot access it, for the cascade of symptoms.

The military has certain proscriptions for addressing PTSD. It is likely Barton and Copeland have not been in war, have not listened (not counseled, but listened) to persons who have returned from war, nor have they likely seen with clarity and understanding anyone who has experienced PTSD. Charlatans. They don't do Christianity any good, they don't do spirituality any good, and they don't do a good interpretation of scriptures. This is the worst recommendation at a time when our people are returning from war-torn areas. Their commentary is a poor public service and an aberration of spirituality. Shame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity