Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:08 AM

668 posts, read 690,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
If I preached the same exact rules and regulations as you and interpreted the bible exactly the same as you, would I teach Christianity correctly. What about if I interpreted the rules and regulations different than you, but still kept the same principals behind them. Now what If I preached the same overarching metaphors and basic beliefs that you did, but interpreted the principals differently? What if I just preached different overarching metaphors? When did I stop preaching the truth.
When you "interpreted" rather than just teach what is written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 06:42 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
Nobody does that. Even the basic act of translating the scriptures from Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek involved interpretation of "what the writer meant."

Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
Jesus said ," I am the way , the truth and the life , no man comes to the father but by me."
Jesus said, "blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled"
Hungering and thirsting is a desperation for fellowship with God to know and DO his will to have His personal tutelage via the Holy Spirit Jesus designated to teach us.
the Holy Spirit is the one that guides one in truth of God's will ,not man not even me.
Only God
I can't be your eyes and your heart; you have to invest your self, in the relationship, in your own prayer life, and devotion.
The things Jesus said, are what we are accountable to ,as well as the things the Holy Spirit instructs, concerning both the scriptures and daily life .
If Jesus is your Lord , prove it to Him .
If you love God , prove it to Him .
How much do you need His instruction ?
The things Jesus taught are like salt , they should make you realize your need ,like salt makes you thirsty,and hungry.
Obedience, is what Jesus demonstrated, and that is what is expected, because that is what heaven is all about.
Do you know the Lord's prayer?
Not My will be done ,but thy will be done.
One cannot know it unless they are energized and listening.
A lot of folk initially get energized, no one told them they had to listen , so they still wander in sin doing their own thing .
That's not a relationship.
A relationship involves influence.
What or whom you choose to be your influence you also share eternity.
If you are willing to accept second hand information Like Adam and Eve did , that's not a relationship God designed for you.
The truth can only come from God , my mission is to direct you to Him.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:56 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Jesus said ," I am the way , the truth and the life , no man comes to the father but by me."
Jesus said, "blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled"
Hungering and thirsting is a desperation for fellowship with God to know and DO his will to have His personal tutelage via the Holy Spirit Jesus designated to teach us.
the Holy Spirit is the one that guides one in truth of God's will ,not man not even me.
Only God
I can't be your eyes and your heart; you have to invest your self, in the relationship, in your own prayer life, and devotion.
The things Jesus said, are what we are accountable to ,as well as the things the Holy Spirit instructs, concerning both the scriptures and daily life .
If Jesus is your Lord , prove it to Him .
If you love God , prove it to Him .
How much do you need His instruction ?
The things Jesus taught are like salt , they should make you realize your need ,like salt makes you thirsty,and hungry.
Obedience, is what Jesus demonstrated, and that is what is expected, because that is what heaven is all about.
Do you know the Lord's prayer?
Not My will be done ,but thy will be done.
One cannot know it unless they are energized and listening.
A lot of folk initially get energized, no one told them they had to listen , so they still wander in sin doing their own thing .
That's not a relationship.
A relationship involves influence.
What or whom you choose to be your influence you also share eternity.
If you are willing to accept second hand information Like Adam and Eve did , that's not a relationship God designed for you.
The truth can only come from God , my mission is to direct you to Him.
Good spirit led post.

As long as we understand that our job in "directing" others is like guard rails on the highway. Too many well intended Christian's try to drive you there using "their" map.
Since the body is both flesh and spirit we need both, vertical relationships and horizontal ones as well.

Romans 10:17

Old 11-26-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Nobody does that. Even the basic act of translating the scriptures from Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek involved interpretation of "what the writer meant."
That may be your interpretation!

Old 11-26-2013, 10:01 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
So that means I stop preaching the truth at the point when I stop interpreting the details, or the whole word of god, as you do. However, people who interperate the whole word of God literally miss the same principals and metaphors as those who interpret it metaphorically, and replace them with a more subpar god with a subpar humanity with a subpar future. Therefore, you are interpreting the bible incorrectly.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
So that means I stop preaching the truth at the point when I stop interpreting the details, or the whole word of god, as you do. However, people who interperate the whole word of God literally miss the same principals and metaphors as those who interpret it metaphorically, and replace them with a more subpar god with a subpar humanity with a subpar future. Therefore, you are interpreting the bible incorrectly.
Phil if you say that's what you do than I cannot argue with you. But I don't think you know what I do so your making an assumption. And you know what they say happens when you ass-u-me.

My point is if your "interpreting" the plain things in scripture then that's where your getting off base. Most of scripture means what it say's straight out.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:14 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
We are expected to have a questioning attitude. No one should check their brain at the door. Christians have questions. Teaching requires perspective otherwise it would be a manual, not a Bible. Read it and believe it is not a Christian philosophy. The Bible is not completely objective.

"salt and light"

Old 11-26-2013, 02:38 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Phil if you say that's what you do than I cannot argue with you. But I don't think you know what I do so your making an assumption. And you know what they say happens when you ass-u-me.

My point is if your "interpreting" the plain things in scripture then that's where your getting off base. Most of scripture means what it say's straight out.
It meant what it says to the ancient middle eastern men who wrote it and the ancient audiences they wrote it for.

It does not mean what it "says straight out" to a 21st century Westerner without some interpretation--preferrably provided by the Holy Spirit.

But the person who says "it means what it says straight out" clearly has not asked the Holy Spirit for guidance--because he thinks he needs none. So that very person probably has no guidance from the Spirit.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It meant what it says to the ancient middle eastern men who wrote it and the ancient audiences they wrote it for.

It does not mean what it "says straight out" to a 21st century Westerner without some interpretation--preferrably provided by the Holy Spirit.

But the person who says "it means what it says straight out" clearly has not asked the Holy Spirit for guidance--because he thinks he needs none. So that very person probably has no guidance from the Spirit.
Now your the judge of us. You need to mature in the Lord and learn a little respect. Goodbye!

Last edited by FundamentalBibleBeliever; 11-26-2013 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity