Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 AM

535 posts, read 967,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Why else would a person belong to a religion unless they believed it was the right one ?______
Many people stay in false-cult religions after doubting or discovering they are not right. Fear, isolation, rejection, brainwashing, ostracism, and alienation from friends and family are powerful deterrents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Pilate too in talking about 'truth' in general would be meaning the subjective and relative truth you mention ^ above ^.

Jesus and Pilate were in a public place [ John 19 v 33 ] that would mean there were witnesses there at that time, and didn't the people there answer Pilate at verse 40 ?_____

2nd Timothy 3 vs 16,17 places No man as the Author of the Bible but places God as its Author.
As a secretary writes down the boss's words, God used men to pen the words of the Bible.

Jesus based his teachings on the logical reasoning on the already existing Hebrew OT Scriptures.
Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, "It is written..." meaning already recorded in the Hebrew Scriptures.
So, Jesus was talking Not about subjective, relative general truth, but divine truth or religious truth as found in Scripture.
How could anyone possibly argue with this illogical logic??? There isn't a biblical scholar alive that teaches the bible was written by eye witnesses. In fact, we don't truly know who wrote the stories in the bible. Pseudepigrapha....have you ever heard of this term????

Old 11-25-2013, 11:49 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
TRUTH is relative and subjective to what you interpret and accept as TRUTH. TRUTH is not a one size fits ALL, like so many "religions" attempt to teach...and everyone's TRUTH is different depending on what they believe to be TRUTH.
Surely, you are not serious?? -- This is nothing more than philosophical worldly gibberish! -- One may perceive that what they believe is true, BUT, that certainly does NOT define 'TRUTH' itself! If it did, then one would have to say, "Truth does not exist, except in man's imagination!" ---

God's truth, is defined in God's Word the Bible. That, not what people think, defines 'truth' itself -- and the truth or error of all other 'perceived truth', is determined by that standard. God and His Word and Truth are not dependent on whether people understand or agree with it, or not.

If God's Word, the Bible, is NOT TRUE, then what does any person know of God or Jesus Christ?

..... enough of this foolish double-talk about "relative truth" ... Relative truth is no truth at all!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
same question was asked of pilote when jesus went b4 him, what is truth?

(Not sure what the rest of this means?)

for the romans and now us, its a meaningless term.
bek we are so far from it.
om mani padi um, come to the light.
Actually, that's NOT true!

In John 18:37-38, Jesus declared Himself as witness to the truth, and Pilate asked "What is truth?" -
This was nothing more than Pilate's reflection on the world's foolish position that 'truth is whatever one declares it to be' -

Jesus knew and was/is the TRUTH and had no such nonsensical qualms about declaring it to be absolute and unshakable.

Today's world fit's into the 'Last Days' description of the Bible .... "a time when men will no longer endure sound doctrine" .... and a time "when evil men will call the truth a lie, and the lie, the truth."

Old 11-25-2013, 12:08 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Actually, that's NOT true!

In John 18:37-38, Jesus declared Himself as witness to the truth, and Pilate asked "What is truth?" -
This was nothing more than Pilate's reflection on the world's foolish position that 'truth is whatever one declares it to be' -

Jesus knew and was/is the TRUTH and had no such nonsensical qualms about declaring it to be absolute and unshakable.

Today's world fit's into the 'Last Days' description of the Bible .... "a time when men will no longer endure sound doctrine" .... and a time "when evil men will call the truth a lie, and the lie, the truth."
Where did he declare anything other than himself to be absolute and unshakable?. What Jesus said,was he is the reality of what truth is, this is why he said learn of me, for by looking at him we see the reality of what truth is. He portrayed God to the world exactly how God Is. This is the truth we all want to know........what is God our Father really like?......... Jesus told Philip you're looking at him.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:39 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,443 times
JN 1:17 "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."

That which is written such as the law and all Scripture are truths but not Grace and Truth as the above Scripture is pointing out by way of contrasting there is a difference between the Law and Truth.

As I said before, Truth is supernatural and comes only by the power/grace of God in Christ. Truth is the supernatural mind of Christ to follow Christ with Grace to do so. The Bible says the written word itself does not impart Eternal Life because what is written points to Christ who alone is Truth. Christ is the power of Truth unto salvation not the written word. The written word comes to life so to speak, through Christ the very essence and author of Eternal Life.

Last edited by garya123; 11-25-2013 at 12:47 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Where did he declare anything other than himself to be absolute and unshakable?. What Jesus said,was he is the reality of what truth is, this is why he said learn of me, for by looking at him we see the reality of what truth is. He portrayed God to the world exactly how God Is. This is the truth we all want to know........what is God our Father really like?......... Jesus told Philip you're looking at him.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying (?) - The Bible (both OT and NT) are full of proclamations about the TRUTH; Jesus spoke both of being the truth (Jn 14:6, and also speaking, dispensing, knowing the truth. A few NT examples from the book of John include:

John 14:6, as referenced above.

John 8:31-32 - 31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

John 12:48 - 48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day.

John 8:45 -- 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me?

John 1:17 -- For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

John 3:32-34 -- 32 He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33 Whoever has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. 34 For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit.

John 4:23-24 -- 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

Indeed, all of the known and verified Words of Christ come from the Bible, do they not? Are you suggesting that the words and promises of Christ are NOT true? ... or perhaps that they are subject to change (unlike God who is the SAME yesterday, today and tomorrow)?

Heb. 4:12 - 12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:29 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
What did Jesus believe was TRUTH or "THE" TRUTH ?

Pontius Pilate asked "What is truth ? "

By Pilate stating that question, Pilate was just making a cynical remark indicating that the concept of truth was just too broad and elusive to matter. However, Jesus and Pilate were talking about two different types of truth.
Pilate was talking about truth in general. [ that general truth often does not have the same ground rules if any ].
General truth can be bent to suit oneself dependent on the ever-changing situation at hand.
Jesus, on the other hand, was talking about "THE" truth. Jesus at times used the definite article 'the' to indicate which truth.
Not a subjective or objective truth in general, but referring to 'divine truth' or 'religious truth' as Jesus taught from Scripture.
Pilate was Not wiling to learn from Jesus, so that is why Pilate speaking of truth was just truth in general.
Whereas Jesus was teaching where accurate religious truth can be found when Jesus said that God's Word (Holy Scripture) is truth at John 17 v 17; 17 v 3.

Since God is eternal, then so is His Word eternal. Eternal in successfully guiding mankind, and when applied then global peace and security on earth would be accomplished.

It is the fake 'weed/tares' Christians, who only come in Jesus' name, and they prove themselves as fake or false.- Matthew chapter 7.
That is one reason why the word's from Jesus' mouth will be like a sharp executioner's sword to rid the earth of those who run afoul playing false to God and His Word.- Isaiah 11 vs 3,4; Rev. 19 vs 11,15
I don't think Pilate's remark was cynical. That question was ordinary dinner-table small-talk among educated Graeco-Romans.

They recognized that "truth" could change according to the epistemolocial theory one preferred...and if one talked about "truth," it was a valid question to ask what epistemological theory he was using to define it. Undoubtedly, Pilate had already learned that the epistemology of Middle Eastern Judeans was different from that of the Romans: What Judeans called "truth" was not what Romans called truth.

It's a worthwhile question for us today, because it's just as true today. Westerners are steeped in the exact same Graeco-Roman epistemology that Pilate knew. Exactly the same--derived from exactly the same ancient Greek philosophers.

While the truth of scripture is just as foreign to us now as it was to Pilate then.

The difference is that we attempt to lay Greek epistemology upon middle eastern truth, sometimes to absurd result, sometimes to tragic result. It's by God's grace that we don't get it all wrong.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:49 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying (?) - The Bible (both OT and NT) are full of proclamations about the TRUTH; Jesus spoke both of being the truth (Jn 14:6, and also speaking, dispensing, knowing the truth. A few NT examples from the book of John include:

John 14:6, as referenced above.

John 8:31-32 - 31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

John 12:48 - 48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day.

John 8:45 -- 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me?

John 1:17 -- For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

John 3:32-34 -- 32 He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33 Whoever has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. 34 For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit.

John 4:23-24 -- 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

Indeed, all of the known and verified Words of Christ come from the Bible, do they not? Are you suggesting that the words and promises of Christ are NOT true? ... or perhaps that they are subject to change (unlike God who is the SAME yesterday, today and tomorrow)?

Heb. 4:12 - 12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Jesus' ministry was based on revealing the Father, which he did in all its fullness,for he is like scripture says the exact representation of who God is. When he taught love your enemy, bless them that curse you, do good to those who spitefully use you and so on, he was not racking up a bunch of truths that we can say "yes this is truth", he was revealing the reality of the true nature and character of God in word and through his life, and this is why he said to Philip if you have seen me you have seen the Father. So as far as I am concerned, truth is the reality of who God is....... Jesus Christ being that reality, and the reason he said learn of me and you'll know that reality which sets you free .

He never said this or that is the unshakable absolute truth, he said I am the truth..... I am the reality of what truth is.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:18 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
If I preached the same exact rules and regulations as you and interpreted the bible exactly the same as you, would I teach Christianity correctly. What about if I interpreted the rules and regulations different than you, but still kept the same principals behind them. Now what If I preached the same overarching metaphors and basic beliefs that you did, but interpreted the principals differently? What if I just preached different overarching metaphors? When did I stop preaching the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity