Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 05:21 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,986,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
LOL...I'm just gonna go ahead and open this can of worms.
Seriously??? Your entire premise of "TRUTH" is based on a story written in a book that couldn't possibly be TRUE...and yet you believe that it is. Consider this...if this conversation actually took place, how was it relayed to the person who wrote about it, since this was allegedly a private conversation between Pilate and Jesus...where Jesus was crucified shortly thereafter? Let's use our critical thinking skills now.
Like I said...this kind of TRUTH is subjective and relative to what an individual BELIEVES and ACCEPTS as the TRUTH. My TRUTH is way different from your TRUTH but it doesn't make mine any less TRUE than yours is...it is just different based on what I BELIEVE is the TRUTH vs. what you BELIEVE is the TRUTH.
Pilate too in talking about 'truth' in general would be meaning the subjective and relative truth you mention ^ above ^.

Jesus and Pilate were in a public place [ John 19 v 33 ] that would mean there were witnesses there at that time, and didn't the people there answer Pilate at verse 40 ?_____

2nd Timothy 3 vs 16,17 places No man as the Author of the Bible but places God as its Author.
As a secretary writes down the boss's words, God used men to pen the words of the Bible.

Jesus based his teachings on the logical reasoning on the already existing Hebrew OT Scriptures.
Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, "It is written..." meaning already recorded in the Hebrew Scriptures.
So, Jesus was talking Not about subjective, relative general truth, but divine truth or religious truth as found in Scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Yes we all know members of different sects all fight amongst each and all claim they know "The Truth". So which sect has "The Truth"? Yours?
Why else would a person belong to a religion unless they believed it was the right one ?______

The right one would be the one whose teachings aline up with Jesus' 1st-century teachings as taught in Scripture.

Christendom [ so-called Christianity ] often teaches their own ' church ' traditions or customs outside of Scripture but teach them as though they are Scripture.- Mark 7 vs 1-7,13; Matthew 15 v 9.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The phrase "I know that I know nothing" or "I know one thing: that I know nothing" (Ancient Greek: ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα hèn oîda ὃti oudèn oîda; Latin: scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire), sometimes called the Socratic paradox
WIKI
Religion is man made and so far all religion is man made.
No one knows the nature of God. Jesus wrote nothing and the bible was written by men.
Later on the early Christians decided some writings close to the time of Jesus were God Breathed or inspired. So the fact that the the bible is the word of God is the creation of man.
There were many councils in the early Catholic Church and MEN decided that the books were inspired. So in the end the Bible is religion and it is MAN made.
I am with Socrates on this one. We don't really understand the nature of God.
And lastly: Truth is perception and everybody's perception may be different.
What was Jesus' perception? Wasn't it different from the Pharisees?______

1st Corinthians 2 v 16 mentions that who knows the mind [ nature ] of God, but we have the mind of Christ. Christ's mind [ nature ] is found recorded for us between the pages of Scripture for all to read and think about.

The '66' inspired books [ Bible ] have internal harmony. That is why the apocryphal books exclude themselves from the '66' because they are out of harmony with the '66'. They do Not have the corresponding or parallel references verses and passages as do the '66'. So, it was Not any church fathers, etc. but it's the ancient manuscripts that testify to what is Bible canon.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
Quote:
I never said there were no "ABSOLUTE TRUTHS". What I attempted to say was that you cannot call things written in a man made book filled with fictional stories, allegories, poetry, etc., TRUTH and expect it to be accepted as ABSOLUTE TRUTH by the masses because it isn't. Belief in those stories is purely subjective and relative to the person who ACCEPTS them as TRUTH, but that certainly doesn't make them the TRUTH, let alone ABSOLUTE TRUTH.
You go, grl!

Old 11-23-2013, 08:55 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,545,459 times
Quote:
TRUTH is relative and subjective to what you interpret and accept as TRUTH. TRUTH is not a one size fits ALL, like so many "religions" attempt to teach...and everyone's TRUTH is different depending on what they believe to be TRUTH.
Truth is supernatural and without change, not mere facts nor relative and Truth comes only by the Holy Spirit not the twisted interpretations man. Though some may state Truth intellectually and accurately yet only Christ is the "Way, the Truth and the Life."

Truth is the Living Substance [spiritual not letter] of Gods character! One can not know Truth unless the Holy Spirit is your Teacher.

Last edited by garya123; 11-23-2013 at 09:07 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 08:57 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,510,121 times
same question was asked of pilote when jesus went b4 him, what is truth?
for the romans and now us, its a meaningless term.
bek we are so far from it.
om mani padi um, come to the light.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:19 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,707,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Truth is supernatural and without change, not mere facts nor relative and Truth comes only by the Holy Spirit not the twisted interpretations man. Though some may state Truth intellectually and accurately yet only Christ is the "Way, the Truth and the Life."

Truth is the Living Substance [spiritual not letter] of Gods character! One can not know Truth unless the Holy Spirit is your Teacher.
Amen, amen

Blessings

Old 11-24-2013, 06:37 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,848,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
but... how will evil present itself? Who will knowingly go into the darkness, when light is present?

We must know both... truth and lies in order to know how to "test" the spirits.

Truth will always be wrapped in sacrifice.
Lies will always be wrapped in deceit.

Both may seem the same, at first.

Satan tempted Jesus by offering the whole world for His worship. Jesus offered us salvation by giving His life without anything in return. That's truth.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Meaningless term or word because Pilate was talking about ' truth in general ' which often has no ground rules.
Whereas Jesus was talking about ' divine truth ' or ' religious truth ' as found in Scripture.- John 17 v 17; 4 vs 23,24

Old 11-24-2013, 01:35 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,856,276 times
God's divinely inspired, living and written Word is perfectly true and the truth. Our understanding of God's truth, along with the perception that any individual or group 'perfectly has it all' is flawed. The latter does not invalidate the former.

(For example, the disciples were sent out by Jesus 'two by two' to spread the Gospel. That would suggest that Judas was included. The subsequent betrayal of Christ by Judas -- did not invalidate the Gospel message that Judas had carried.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity