Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 12:31 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
From a sermon Phil did.

Robertson says that men who have sex with men, and women who have sex with women, will receive the "due penalty for their perversions." He goes on to say that they are full of "murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, god-haters. They are heartless. They are faithless. They are senseless. They are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil."

Read more at: New Phil Robertson Homophobia Video - Gays Full of Murder | HEAVY
These people are to be pitied. Their indoctrination creates automatic assignments of evil in ALL its manifestations to those they see as "willful sinners." They add ALL the evils to them because of what they see as "willfulness" in their sins. It is a sad commentary on the religious impact on spiritual development and maturity. Religions have been the biggest stumbling block to spiritual maturity and they carry a heavy burden. This is not to excuse such heinous beliefs and behavior . . . just to explain them. In many ways they are victims of religious abuse and like all abuse victims they are extending the abuse to those they see as willful sinners. It is beyond sad . . . it is criminal!

Old 12-20-2013, 12:34 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Now, let's try this again - since being rude to Christians isn't allowed, but being rude to gays seems perfectly okay.

Quote:
I am tired of corporate America being the tool of leftist PC types.
Corporate America is staunchly conservative in most matters and almost always govern themselves in a fascistic way - and fascism is very much a right-wing ideology. I have no idea where you're getting all of this "leftist" stuff. Believe me, right-wing corporate culture didn't want to be PC, they wouldn't be. They're doing it all by themselves without any help from "leftists."

Quote:
They have threatened these corporations with boycotts and lawsuits if they do not do the bidding of numerous liberal special interest groups.
Hypocrital statement #1. Why is it wrong for you to complain about "leftists" threatening boycots and lawsuits to further their agenda while you simultaneously declare that you want a boycot of A&E? Does that really seem fair to you? Oh and what about all of those boycots of stores like Home Depot because they refused to discriminate based on sexual orientation? Yeah ... the medicine doesn't taste all that good when you're on the other end of the spoon, now, does it.

Quote:
THe power of corporate America is being used to silence those who hold traditional views.
They are corporations. They are not bound by the US Constitution. If a corporation wants to silence you, they'll do it. After all, it is your choice to work there. That's why I said before that corporations are inherently fascistic.

Quote:
If you say something a protected minority group is offended by then that power is used to silence you.
Maybe it's because minority groups - and we know full well which minority group you're referring to - is tired of being harassed by sanctimonious holy-rollers who can't keep their opinions to themselves. It's a workplace, not a pulpit, and I'm sure many corporations would rather their employees do work than to stand around condemning homosexuals.

Quote:
Think again, anyone who says something that goes against corporate culture of their employer could face the same fate.
Sure, I don't disagree here, but that's what you get when corporations are run like fascistic governments. You can either work there - or not. If your employers views are just too much to bear and you'd rather be somewhere that allows you to rant about gays while on the clock, then I'm sure there's another company out there for you. Let's face it, people are getting fired because of their Facebook photos or their political views online. Companies are even demanding passwords to private social networking accounts. And you're worried about companies who don't actively discriminate? Perhaps you should direct your anger in a better direction.

Keep in mind that there's a case right now before the Supreme Court that is trying to argue that employees of a company owned by religious people will have to adhere to their religious beliefs while working for the company. If the law is passed, it means that a Muslim store owner could make all of his female employees wear burkas if he wants, and there would be no legal recourse.

It works in BOTH directions, you know, so you need to stop thinking that there is some evil leftist plot to destroy the freedoms of the right-wingers. There's not. It's just that conservatives finally got nipped by the same corporate fascism that we "leftists" have been arguing against all along.

Quote:
Liberal activist have much influence over Americas biggest companies, read your employee handbook, or look at the company literature. You will likely find diversity postings in your breakroom, or special rules to protect those who are part of these PC protected groups.
You know why? It's because of cases like a friend of mine who worked for a city, the name of which I'll keep confidential. She was (and is) a lesbian. Almost every day at work she would find Bible verses and anti-gay pamphlets in or on her locker. Her car was vandalized twice with "Lev 20:13" spray painted on the hood and "Abomination" sprayed on both sides. She was referred to as "it" by her co-workers and supervisors. She took her complaints all the way up the "food chain" and nothing was done. This harassment went on and on until she finally had to quit.

And this happens all ... the ... time. You don't hear about it on the news or read about it in the papers, but this kind of anecdotal harassment and bullying is growing more common as fundies grow more desperate. Maybe corporations are simply tired of workplace disruptions caused by people who just can't stand to work next to people different than themselves. Perhaps you should ask yourself an important question: Why are you so rabidly opposed to corporate policies that prohibit bigotry and racism unless you're a bigot and racist? I'm not saying you ARE one of those things, but if a policy bans something you wouldn't do anyway, why is it an issue?

Quote:
Liberals could not convince most Americans that homosexuality is normal, so they used their influence in hollywierd to brainwash our children.
That was hypocritical statement #2. How is liberal brainwashing any different from conservative brainwashing? And please, don't insult my intelligence by claiming there isn't any conservative brainwashing. At any rate, considering a majority now supports the rights of gays and that support is growing at a rate of 2% per year, I would think we were pretty successful in convincing people that homosexuality should at least be tolerated.

Quote:
That has not worked completely so now they use the influence they have over corporate America to hold our jobs over our heads if we don't comply to the "corporate culture" of "diversity and tolerance".
Hypocritical statement #3. Remember back in 2012 when several major corporations threatened to lay off employees if they voted for Obama? I keep telling you that corporate fascism doesn't care if you're liberal or conservative - they'll slam both sides to get what they want. The more you blame it on liberals, the more you miss the point.

Quote:
We are losing folks
Yes, you are ... and you deserve to lose. I won't mince words about that. These anti-gay crusades are just history repeating itself. First it was the Native Americans, then the Chinese, the Blacks, the Irish, the Catholics - today it's the Muslims, now it's the gays, and I figure that fat people will be the next demographic group on the hit list. Some segments of society just aren't happy unless they're persecuting, discriminating, subjugating, and oppressing someone.

Quote:
Will this hurt the economy?? Probably, but I think if we don't do something soon the communist and progressive types will own us.
Yes, let's throw the economy under the bus. Who cares if people are laid off and end up homeless or lose their medical insurance. Bah on them just as long as we can win back the right to badmouth gays, it's all worth it in the end, right? The ends justify the means! (Not that I think your boycots would ever result in such severe consequences, but the fact that you don't care about the livelihoods of others in your crusade speaks volumes.)

And communism? Seriously?

Quote:
I personally would rather see this country ruined than see it become what they want it to be.
Ah, and there it is, the right-wing fascist mentality. Hitler said the same thing about Germany, you know, as he cowered in his bunker during the last days of the war. If we don't play by MY rules, obey MY religion, and follow MY commands, well by golly, I'll destroy it all! That sounds more like an evil supervillain than a sane and rational citizen of America.

Your comment also is indicative of why the Founders thought democracy would never work - because there would always be people like you. People who can't accept losing an election or not being in control at all times. There would be those with your ideology that demands a blind allegiance to your political will, as any good fascist would want, or you'll ruin it for everyone! Kind of like a man who gets dumped by his girlfriend so he murders her saying, "If I can't have her, no one will!"

Eegads ... it's just crazy. Just utterly crazy.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:49 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
My wife and i watching a show last night on the food channel and a contestant on the show had to let us know that he was gay, why ?, why do i need to know that ?
Why do I need to know anything about game show contestants other than their names? Why do I care if they are stay-at-home moms or librarians or web designers or college professors? Why do I care about who is sitting in the audience cheering them on? Why do I care if the contestants collect stamps, build model railroads, kayak, hike, or play tiddly-winks?

Yet every show we have to sit through the "get to know the contestants" phase of the show. My opinion is - so what if he said he was gay? It is no different than any of the other bits of useless information contestants are required to share with the audience.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:55 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I will not watch more AE shows until they back down. I am tired of corporate America being the tool of leftist PC types. They have threatened these corporations with boycotts and lawsuits if they do not do the bidding of numerous liberal special interest groups. Corporations do not make money if they are battling lawsuits and boycotts so they just give in. THe power of corporate America is being used to silence those who hold traditional views. If you say something a protected minority group is offended by then that power is used to silence you. It has happened to many famous people, like Phil Robertson and recently Paula Dean. They lost their jobs to this PC. <snip>
Let's not forget that the right has used "boycotting" to try to control left wing freedom of expression.
Remember the Dixie Chicks?

Quote:
Once upon a time, a talented trio of young, female musicians from Texas ruled country radio's airwaves.
Their songs brought welcome vibrancy to a staid, formulaic genre, and audiences responded with enthusiasm. The Dixie Chicks were the biggest thing since Garth Brooks, possessing equal crossover appeal that assured chart-topping hits and sold-out concert venues not just in the United States, but around the world.

It was at one such concert in London, in 2003, that Natalie Maines, the group's lead singer, manifested a degree of political moxy that proved the Dixie Chicks were country artists of a truly different stripe.
Responding to the outrages of the Bush administration, particularly its incessant warmongering, Ms. Maines proclaimed that she was ashamed to share Texas residency with the man who, in time, virtually all of us would finally have to concede is the worst president America has ever known.

What followed was a punishment of epic proportions.

Country music's reactionary, uber-patriotic base abruptly turned on the group that had, just the day before, been its darlings. The worst U.S. blacklist/boycott since the McCarthy era came down hard on the Dixie Chicks. Country radio stations across the land refused to play their work. Their videos disappeared from music television's programming. Natalie Maines became the new Jane Fonda to right-wing talk broadcasters.

Hatred, snowballed, eventually leading to death threats.

Through it all, the Dixie Chicks persevered, enduring a stinging, potentially career-killing backlash of the terrible sort that took so many progressive entertainers from glorious fame to utter obscurity during the Cold War fifties.

They remained strong. They kept making music.
https://www.commondreams.org/views07/0212-21.htm

I think right wing snowballing goes back to the McCarthy era. Leftists may now be catching on. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Right wingers have simply taught the left how to be effective.

In neither case is it very Christian.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:58 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Come on, you are scraping the barrel here.I have no issue with how someone refers to their partner, whether they may be male or female. The guy had to tell us he was gay...... Why ? Who cares if you are gay, what do you want me to say in response to you being so ?. This is all I would like to know. To be honest I have no issues with the gay community except for this, and further still I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, while lying next to my wife with my two little dogs.
YOU may not, but I know you have read the comments on this forum by people who proclaim that they are Christian.

Maybe he said it for personal reasons, just like many proclaim their religion. Some proclaim their profession. Some proclaim other personal things that others may or may not want to know. He has the right to freedom of speech, just as much as Phil has his right to free speech. If you are offended, sorry. I was offended by the Christian man comparing me to a murderer.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:00 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Gibson LP View Post
This is further evidenced by his racial comments. Here's a picture of Caddo Parish in the 1960's. First of all, Phil would have NEVER attended school with a black person until maybe by the time he was at Tech (that would have been 4 or 5 at a campus of 8,000). He certainly never had to share a water fountain, bathroom, lunch counter, church pew or bus seat with a black person. Shreveport, just down the road, was ruled by an iron-fist in the form of George D'artois (google him) who was determined that it was not going to be another Birmingham by using tactics that made Bull Connor look like Andy Griffith, all with the enthusiastic support of the white citizens, which I'm ashamed to admit included my parents and grandparents. So, he would have never truly know a black person. If he had, he would have been disabused of his ignorant notion of the happy darkies singing in the cotton field because they were so joyous and godly..
I was in Oklahoma at that time. He might have worked in the same cotton field as black people, but he would not have been disabused of his notions.

In that place and time, being around a white person (any age, either gender) was like having a bear wander into your camp site. You move cautiously and you don't say anything that might annoy him because he can kill you with impunity. You do and say whatever it takes to keep him calm--which might look "happy."

Old 12-20-2013, 01:03 PM

144 posts, read 149,298 times
Do some checking things out THE MAN HAS A MASTERS DEGREE in TEACHING!!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2013, 01:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I personally would rather see this country ruined than see it become what they want it to be. Maybe we need secede from the US and start over. The enemy can have the north, they can start their progressive, secular utopia up there. I want no part of it.
"Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton, old times there are not forgotten......" I recommend you find a place that tolerates your beliefs (which probably have a distinct Christian fundamentalist bend so that rules out much of the world) and where you won't be shot for owning a Bible (scratch off North Korea). You'll have to leave the Bill of Rights behind. Sorry. That must come as a disappointment but since you want to see this country ruined what do you care?)

There are several million people fleeing poverty, discrimination, and war waiting to take your place so I'm sure you won't have much trouble selling the plantation.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-20-2013 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 01:11 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
I find it incredible that we live in a country that embraces Miley Cyrus for twerking on a married guy and then reacts as strongly as it has against a guy for daring to say what the Bible actually says. In typical liberal fashion though......don't like what he says? Better shut him up! Meanwhile, we have to be "tolerant" of every immoral thing.

Seriously.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:15 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

In neither case is it very Christian.
Yes, although both sides would believe it is the other side that isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity