Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ew Testament Christians NEED to TITHE?
Yes, Mandatory 10% 4 11.43%
No, Freewill offering of any amount 31 88.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 10:48 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
Which brings me to my question... If someone doesn't believe there is a law (or commandment) that says we should pay tithe, and they say you're breaking the law by paying tithe...

Uuuuuhhhhhh...

If there is no law to break, how can you break it???

***I'm just having fun. I said that in a VERY humorous way in my head. I've been stressed all day, give me some credit, I needed a little "funny" break.
My concern is that if you think you have to obey the Mosaic Law....are you observing the WHOLE Law? Or just the parts that your pastor preached on last Sunday, or a couple Sundays ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 11:42 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
My concern is that if you think you have to obey the Mosaic Law....are you observing the WHOLE Law? Or just the parts that your pastor preached on last Sunday, or a couple Sundays ago?
How does one know the difference between good and evil?...

Old 02-08-2014, 11:46 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
How does one know the difference between good and evil?...
I'm sorry....is this question relevant to this thread? Is this maybe something that should have been asked on another thread that is currently running....maybe the one on the God of War?

Old 02-08-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry....is this question relevant to this thread? Is this maybe something that should have been asked on another thread that is currently running....maybe the one on the God of War?
It is relevant...Just answer the question...

Old 02-08-2014, 12:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
Which brings me to my question... If someone doesn't believe there is a law (or commandment) that says we should pay tithe, and they say you're breaking the law by paying tithe...

Uuuuuhhhhhh...

If there is no law to break, how can you break it???

***I'm just having fun. I said that in a VERY humorous way in my head. I've been stressed all day, give me some credit, I needed a little "funny" break.
The question is not whether you can break a law that does not exist but rather why keep a law or in your case make up a law of God that does not exist and try to keep it? It has clearly been shown that Tithe was not money and even Jesus spoke in part [O.T speaks of the rest] about Tithe as "LK 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought you to have done, and not to leave the other undone." No mention here of money but that does not mean Jesus said everything concerning the tithe but the O.T does and money was not used as a tithe and moreover He was speaking to the Jews who were under the Old Covenant.

Your take on the matter of tithe though well intended is purely subjective truth for yourself rather that the objective Truth outlined in Scripture for all to follow. You believe in tithe probably because you have been indoctrinated since first becoming a Christian when the spiritual mind is tender and greatly influenced by those teachers you looked up to.

This believing in something not based on an accurate knowledge is similar to those who have a week conscience regarding food offered to idols that have no real power except in the imagination of the unlearned.
As an example, consider the following Scripture of even how a believer with the Spirit is yet immature in their thinking.
1COR 8:4 "As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one."
1COR 8:7 "Now it is that there is not in every man that knowledge [that an idol has no power]: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak [for lack of true Godly knowledge] is defiled. You say you do not feel right if you do not pay tithe. Truth is not based on feelings but on a accurate understanding of Gods Word.

The problem here of coarse is, should I or anyone else base the Truth on your feelings and experiences or rather on the Word of God?

By the way, have you even done an exhaustive study on Tithe law or are you basing your understanding on what others have said? And, do you not realize that God did not give the O.T. Covenant to the Gentles but rather only to the nation Israel? And no, we are not grafted into the O.T. Covenant of Israel but rather into to promise given to them concerning the New Covenant.

Keeping a law that didn't even exist for Gentles is foolish and bad precedence/example for others you might influence. There is harm in that, whether you realize it or not.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:02 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
What verse?

I'm well aware of some passages that described tithing, but I'm not aware of any commands to give a tithe. Can you show me?
The payment of tithes dates all the way back to Abraham. You can find references to the practice in Genesis. Can I point to a verse that says, "You must pay tithing"? No, I can't. Apparently a whole lot of people were paying tithing without having been given a commandment to do so. I guess they were just doing so for the fun of it since it obviously wasn't required of them. My point is that you keep trying to tie this to the Law of Moses, when in fact it has nothing to do with the law of Moses. Jesus even told the Pharisees that, while they were faithful in the payment of their tithes, they were ignoring even "weightier laws." He then went on to say that they should be doing both. Can you show me a verse where He (or His Apostles) said, "You can stop now"?

Old 02-08-2014, 07:34 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The payment of tithes dates all the way back to Abraham. You can find references to the practice in Genesis. Can I point to a verse that says, "You must pay tithing"? No, I can't. Apparently a whole lot of people were paying tithing without having been given a commandment to do so. I guess they were just doing so for the fun of it since it obviously wasn't required of them. My point is that you keep trying to tie this to the Law of Moses, when in fact it has nothing to do with the law of Moses. Jesus even told the Pharisees that, while they were faithful in the payment of their tithes, they were ignoring even "weightier laws." He then went on to say that they should be doing both. Can you show me a verse where He (or His Apostles) said, "You can stop now"?

Abraham tithed to the high priest and there is no high priest any longer. While Jesus may be out high priest now, our tithe/offering is going to help the church mortgage, ministries first, then as a last resort is to help the poor and needy, when the tithe 1st resort was supposed to help the poor and needy.

It goes back to a couple of post ago that we are literally making up a rule of God and condemning others that dont follow it. Tithe was food and every verse shows that too, even Matthew 23:23 shows it was food they tithed. No where in the bible does it say the tithe was a 10% of your income. What we give now are offerings and 10% can be a good starting point, but not a mandatory condemnation point followed by many scriptures taken out of context.

Remember Christians are quick to point out... we are not obligated to the law, so we dont have to worry about dietary laws, the sabbath, Feast days...etc... but we better keep the tithe, which was also part of the law that they are supposedly not obligated to. Lets just say it is money now and not to the priesthood and make it mandatory.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
The question is not whether you can break a law that does not exist but rather why keep a law or in your case make up a law of God that does not exist and try to keep it? It has clearly been shown that Tithe was not money and even Jesus spoke in part [O.T speaks of the rest] about Tithe as "LK 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought you to have done, and not to leave the other undone." No mention here of money but that does not mean Jesus said everything concerning the tithe but the O.T does and money was not used as a tithe and moreover He was speaking to the Jews who were under the Old Covenant.

Your take on the matter of tithe though well intended is purely subjective truth for yourself rather that the objective Truth outlined in Scripture for all to follow. You believe in tithe probably because you have been indoctrinated since first becoming a Christian when the spiritual mind is tender and greatly influenced by those teachers you looked up to.

This believing in something not based on an accurate knowledge is similar to those who have a week conscience regarding food offered to idols that have no real power except in the imagination of the unlearned.
As an example, consider the following Scripture of even how a believer with the Spirit is yet immature in their thinking.
1COR 8:4 "As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one."
1COR 8:7 "Now it is that there is not in every man that knowledge [that an idol has no power]: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak [for lack of true Godly knowledge] is defiled. You say you do not feel right if you do not pay tithe. Truth is not based on feelings but on a accurate understanding of Gods Word.

The problem here of coarse is, should I or anyone else base the Truth on your feelings and experiences or rather on the Word of God?

By the way, have you even done an exhaustive study on Tithe law or are you basing your understanding on what others have said? And, do you not realize that God did not give the O.T. Covenant to the Gentles but rather only to the nation Israel? And no, we are not grafted into the O.T. Covenant of Israel but rather into to promise given to them concerning the New Covenant.

Keeping a law that didn't even exist for Gentles is foolish and bad precedence/example for others you might influence. There is harm in that, whether you realize it or not.
On eating meat sacrificed to idols, what was stated at the Jerusalem confrence?...

Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Do you pay your tithe to the Levitical Priesthood?...

Old 02-09-2014, 06:55 AM

1,030 posts, read 840,812 times
One would do well to read what Abram gave to Melchizedek king of Salem. Notice what it was. Notice who it belonged to.

The first thing you find is that the “everything” mentioned did not belong to Abram. It was the property of other people, including Abram’s nephew Lot, who was captured by the armies of the kings. Abram gave away ten per cent of other people’s captured goods. So you cannot say Abram tithed for he gave nothing of his own possessions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity