Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:41 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,156,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
hi shanabrown,
of course no one is holding a gun. i thought this thread went back to the ole topic of witnessing (which is often done to complete strangers and sometimes an invasion of privacy). i personally have no trouble at all speaking with christians as long as they dont try to witness to me. this is what i thought this thread was about. witnessing/sharing your love of the lord with others. this is why i felt it o.k. to say what i said about accepting each other no matter what your belief. so if you are saying that christians and non christians shouldnt speak with one another then i think that is wrong. it's impossible anyways.
Hi Nicolepsy, I don’t believe that anyone should invade anyone’s privacy . At the same time, I understand that many Christians who believe in eternal hell or other teachings often witness or share to complete strangers and others because of their belief and they believe that Jesus has given instructions for them to share the good news with others, and they are trying to follow His instructions and example just as people of other beliefs may seek practice a what they believe to be a teaching. I don’t see anything wrong with someone sharing with someone on the street, at work, or even door knocking, as long as it is not against the law and as long as people are civil and respectful. If someone says no, this should be respected. There have been many people who have come up to me (whose teaching I may not agree with) and I just say, “No thank you.” There are people who have a ritual every year to come in the old neighborhood where I use to live to try to share with others their understanding. When I would see them coming, I wouldn't answer the door. If they gave me a pamphlet on the street, I said thank you and discarded it later. If someone is trying to sell something that someone is not interested in, we can say no.

I am not saying that Christians and nonChristians should not speak to one another. I was trying to point out that if something that we share, say for example, the belief in eternal hell that some have or the belief that we are all sinners upsets someone, they don’t have to stand there and listen. They can decline respectfully. It is not as though these individuals are trying to intentionally hurt or harm anyone, like a thief or a murderer does. Their intentions may be good. If Christians believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father and we want to share what we believe with others and our reasons for sharing, we have the right to share just as those who believe otherwise if we want to. Someone may be interested. And if I am not mistaken, this thread was directed to Christians.

Quote:
and what their eternal destiny might be when they die if they don't know Jesus as their Savior? Should wejust wait for the right opportunities or should we make opportunities? Tell me about a recent conversation and how it went.
That doesn't mean that nonChristians are not open to respond, but if it offends some, why respond to it? I mean, if an athiest directed a question to fellow athiests about how they might try to talk to a Christian about why there is no God I just wonder if there would be the same response... Just wondering. God bless

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-02-2007 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 03:52 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
No, they can't just walk away because they are family or friends and family and friends just don't do that. They can't ignore, because that's rude too. What happens is that they get tired of trying to saying they aren't interested. Then, they start trying to avoid being around you. They may be just as sincere in their own personal beliefs as you are, and they don't believe in eteral hell. Their definition of salvation may be different from yours. There are a lot of different reasons why people are not interested in hearing someone talk about heaven or hell.
Hi Padgett, I can only speak for myself, but I had several family members tell me no when I did believe in eternal hell and other things that I don't believe in now, and tried to reach out to them. What is rude about saying respectfully and lovingly "I understand that you believe this, but I don't believe it. I would appreciate it if you respect my not seeing things as you do." And if they persist, you have to do what you need to do to set the boundaries if you are offended by their behavior. There may be feelings hurt, but on the other hand, someone may learn and need to learn that people can set boundaries. They may not realize how they are coming across. As an example, one of my sisters was never really interested in church or Christianity and I knew that she had boundaries set up. She was also outspoken about it so I didn't push too much and when I did share a little, she let me know that she didn't believe the same way. Now, many years later, she doesn't feel the same way and is involved in more church related activities than I am. So as Christian, I believe that seeds can be planted, and He can use believers to plant the seeds, but the fruit produced is all in God's timing. Another example, I have an aunt who has several times made comments as to why I don't do this or that any more in regards to church. Since my experience with her has shown me what her responses usually are, I have to ignore and I think of ways to not give her opportunities to ask, like in redirecting the conversation. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-02-2007 at 05:12 PM..

Old 12-02-2007, 04:34 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
...and what their eternal destiny might be when they die if they don't know Jesus as their Savior? Should we just wait for the right opportunities or should we make opportunities? Tell me about a recent conversation and how it went.
As a recipient of many attempts at witnessing, I just say DON'T. My beliefs are extremely personal, and I don't appreciate anyone trying to force their beliefs down my throat. Believe what you want, and I'll respect that - just don't try to witness to me.

Has no one ever heard that politics and religion are taboo in polite society? Why do people believe that they're exempt from this rule of social etiquette?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,567 times
i think we all jump in on each others threads all the time whether we are welcome or not. i dont see anything wrong with it. i dont think i am ever insulting or anything so again i see nothing strange about entering into a "christians only need respond" type of thread (though if the thread WAS titled that way then i probably wouldnt post to it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi Nicolepsy, I don’t believe that anyone should invade anyone’s privacy . At the same time, I understand that many Christians who believe in eternal hell or other teachings often witness or share to complete strangers and others because of their belief and they believe that Jesus has given instructions for them to share the good news with others, and they are trying to follow His instructions and example just as people of other beliefs may seek practice a what they believe to be a teaching. I don’t see anything wrong with someone sharing with someone on the street, at work, or even door knocking, as long as it is not against the law and as long as people are civil and respectful. If someone says no, this should be respected. There have been many people who have come up to me (whose teaching I may not agree with) and I just say, “No thank you.” There are people who have a ritual every year to come in the old neighborhood where I use to live to try to share with others their understanding. When I would see them coming, I wouldn't answer the door. If they gave me a pamphlet on the street, I said thank you and discarded it later. If someone is trying to sell something that someone is not interested in, we can say no.

I am not saying that Christians and nonChristians should not speak to one another. I was trying to point out that if something that we share, say for example, the belief in eternal hell that some have or the belief that we are all sinners upsets someone, they don’t have to stand there and listen. They can decline respectfully. It is not as though these individuals are trying to intentionally hurt or harm anyone, like a thief or a murderer does. Their intentions may be good. If Christians believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father and we want to share what we believe with others and our reasons for sharing, we have the right to share just as those who believe otherwise if we want to. Someone may be interested. And if I am not mistaken, this thread was directed to Christians.

That doesn't mean that nonChristians are not open to respond, but if it offends some, why respond to it? I mean, if an athiest directed a question to fellow athiests about how they might try to talk to a Christian about why there is no God I just wonder if there would be the same response... Just wondering. God bless

Old 12-17-2007, 06:52 PM

255 posts, read 1,195,774 times
I love the verse in 1 Peter 3:15 where it says "always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."

It's been neat hearing your differing opinions. I know that there has been harm done to the Kingdom of God through folks who were overly zealous in sharing the Gospel with people. It hasn't always been done with gentleness and respect (c.f. the Crusades) and it's to our shame - and we will have to explain before the Lord - if we cause people to turn away from us (and Him) because we haven't always respected them or the situation or whatever.

I really believe that it's God Who gives us opportunities to share our hope with people. And, I think that I have to be looking for those opportunities, not forcing my beliefs on other people because I feel I have a "duty". I know Jesus wouldn't do that.

And while I'm living my Christian life before people, I know they are watching to see if my life matches my words. If it doesn't, then I'm in trouble and no-one is going to be asking me about the "hope within". I think that I have to be living a life that is pleasing to God so that what comes out of my mouth comes from a heart that is truly in tune with His. People are looking at me to see if what I say is what I do. I personally don't want to be a stumbling block to someone coming to trust in Christ because of the way I shared my faith with them that instead of attracting them to the Savior, I repulsed them.

Having said this, I think too that we need to be careful that we don't just allow our "good lives" to be the only thing about Christ that they know. That we are afraid of opening our mouths and sharing our faith with other people. There is a balance and I believe it's orchestrated by the Holy Spirit giving us opportunities and us being ready and aware when those opportunities come. I personally don't believe it's something that I have to make happen by my own efforts.

I know door-to-door visitation has its place and people have been saved by that but it's not for everyone. For me, the best situation for living Christ before other people and having a freedom to share my beliefs is within the context of friendship. I do live Christ before people at work in general but specifically I live Christ before my friends too. Not looking at non-Christian friends as "projects", (who wants to be someone's project?) but just as really nice human beings we want to spend time and interact with. We don't always agree with everything our friends believe even in the Christian context, so having non-Christian friends who don't agree with us is just another side to life, don't you think? (I'm assuming here that Christians on this thread do have non-Christian friends? Or is that too scary?)

I think the most difficult place for my faith is with my unsaved brothers and their families. I truly can only live my life before them - they don't allow for any comments or conversations that have any spiritual basis whatsoever. I can only pray for them that they will see something in my life that they want for themselves.

Anyway, these are my thoughts and I'm totally open to comments.

God bless.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:51 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,372 times
Great ideas don't need to be spoken.

Why use the cold and imperfect words, when you have pure feelings?

Just love him and feel the love for God!! people won't have how not to feel it

Cultivate the love for God on your heart first, and wish for it to awaken in the hearts of all your brothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity