Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,364,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No more sorrow, pain, suffering, evil, etc,? A place of pure love and paradise? Yeah, I'm down with that! Aren't you?

As far as who will be there, anyone who has believed on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, for the remission of sin, will be there.

No, not really, I don't want to be there if my loved ones aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 09:45 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Then get busy telling them about salvation in Christ!

Old 03-18-2014, 10:33 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7
Quote:

Because telling them is a guarantee they are going to believe it? Nope. And what about the loved ones who've already passed who didn't believe so, according to you, have no chance of "being in heaven"?

Your pat answer doesn't respond on any meaningful level to Zero's sentiment.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Because telling them is a guarantee they are going to believe it? Nope. And what about the loved ones who've already passed who didn't believe so, according to you, have no chance of "being in heaven"?

Your pat answer doesn't respond on any meaningful level to Zero's sentiment.
You're correct. It does not guarantee it. That begs the question. What part does Christ play in all this? Do you desire to be with Him?

Old 03-18-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
You're correct. It does not guarantee it. That begs the question. What part does Christ play in all this? Do you desire to be with Him?
"Lo I am with you always." If that is true, then I don't need to go to heaven to be with Christ, do I?

Old 03-18-2014, 12:14 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Quote:
This is what I do not understand about this . . . you know that it is the Father who calls. It is not anything of our own volition. We will believe when we believe. We cannot choose to believe. That would be deceiving ourselves. Our witness can only provide an example to others and assurance of the Good News that we are no longer separated from God thanks to Jesus. We can encourage them to try to "love God and each other" daily and repent when they don't. But the believing will happen when the Father calls. I was atheist for 30+ years. I made no choice to believe. It was thrust upon me in an instant without any volition on my part whatsoever.

SO . . . if it is the Father who calls . . . why would our loved ones not be called and punished for it???

Old 03-18-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"Lo I am with you always." If that is true, then I don't need to go to heaven to be with Christ, do I?
Jesus said this also:

John 14

2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Don't you long to see our Savior face to face?

Old 03-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is what I do not understand about this . . . you know that it is the Father who calls. It is not anything of our own volition. We will believe when we believe. We cannot choose to believe. That would be deceiving ourselves. Our witness can only provide an example to others and assurance of the Good News that we are no longer separated from God thanks to Jesus. We can encourage them to try to "love God and each other" daily and repent when they don't. But the believing will happen when the Father calls. I was atheist for 30+ years. I made no choice to believe. It was thrust upon me in an instant without any volition on my part whatsoever.

SO . . . if it is the Father who calls . . . why would our loved ones not be called and punished for it???
(13) For “Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved.” (14) But how can they call on Him to save them unless they believe in Him? And how can they believe in Him if they have never heard about Him? And how can they hear about Him unless someone tells them? --- Romans 10:13-14 (NLT)

Old 03-18-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Jesus said this also:

John 14

2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again**, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Don't you long to see our Savior face to face?
This passage that you've quoted doesn't say anything about seeing Christ "face to face" in a physical sense. Personally, I believe this passage speaks to the spiritual reality of Christ (who was, is and will be) arising in each person.

**erchomai
metaph.
  1. to come into being, arise, come forth, show itself, find place or influence

Old 03-18-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
(13) For “Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved.” (14) But how can they call on Him to save them unless they believe in Him? And how can they believe in Him if they have never heard about Him? And how can they hear about Him unless someone tells them? --- Romans 10:13-14 (NLT)

Actions speak louder than words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity