Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:52 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

I haven't read every post, but I'm pretty sure that no one said to give up meat.

People have said that as Christians we should be mindful of how animals that are killed for food consumption are treated - in life and in slaughter.
I don't think that compassion is terribly radical, nor do I think that being compassionate to all of God's creatures is at all inconsistent with the teachings of Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 06:18 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I haven't read every post, but I'm pretty sure that no one said to give up meat.

People have said that as Christians we should be mindful of how animals that are killed for food consumption are treated - in life and in slaughter.
I don't think that compassion is terribly radical, nor do I think that being compassionate to all of God's creatures is at all inconsistent with the teachings of Jesus.
If you look at the OP first post, it sure looks like he's saying to give up meat.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Originally, Kosher slaughter was intended to reduce pain to the animal.
Seriously?

Denmark’s government has brought in a ban on the religious slaughter of animals for the production of halal and kosher meat, after years of campaigning from welfare activists.

The change to the law, announced last week and effective as of yesterday, has been called “anti-Semitism” by Jewish leaders and “a clear interference in religious freedom” by the non-profit group Danish Halal.

European regulations require animals to be stunned before they are slaughtered, but grants exemptions on religious grounds. For meat to be considered kosher under Jewish law or halal under Islamic law, the animal must be conscious when killed.
Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says

Old 03-20-2014, 01:32 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Does anyone see factory farming as deleterious to the earth, cruel and brutal towards animals, greedy, because pigs, for an example; do not need to be kept in gestational crates where they can not move, turn around or groom and scratch themselves?

In terms of people who questioned my views about the Christian church going connection and the "religion" of meat eating, the bible belt is also the meat belt. The barbecue belt and the obesity belt.

It isn't only in the bible belt, though.

Ham, beef and other meat oriented church suppers can be found in most parts of the country.

As a Christian, I am concerned about how this effects the animals, the earth, and our impressions on non Church attenders.

What would you do if you wanted your church to eat less meat and to become more aware about the horror inflicted upon innocent animals every day?

Old 03-20-2014, 04:21 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Does anyone see factory farming as deleterious to the earth, cruel and brutal towards animals, greedy, because pigs, for an example; do not need to be kept in gestational crates where they can not move, turn around or groom and scratch themselves?

In terms of people who questioned my views about the Christian church going connection and the "religion" of meat eating, the bible belt is also the meat belt. The barbecue belt and the obesity belt.

Ham, beef and other meat oriented church suppers can be found in most parts of the country.

As a Christian, I am concerned about how this effects the animals, the earth, and our impressions on non Church attenders.

What would you do if you wanted your church to eat less meat and to become more aware about the horror inflicted upon innocent animals every day?
You could gently let people know here and there about YOUR feelings and what YOU do. You can't get anyone else to do what you want them to do, whether they are an individual or a church or whatever. You can only change yourself, not others.

What you could do, however, is maybe start a group to help make others aware of the problem and if people hear what you say and it touches a chord in them, they might then think about it more. If you come at them too strongly, your message will get lost in the emotions of having someone gnatting on them telling them what they "should" do. No one likes that.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:23 AM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times
Quote:

I am more concerned about reaching people for Christ! Jesus instructed us to preach the Gospel, not to worry about animals that God gave us for food. That is not the purpose of the Church. That is something that you can do outside the church but it has no place in the church. IMHO

I would think that the torture, mutilation and murder of millions of children in this country would be of more concern than how an animal is slaughtered for food. I suppose it's a matter of priorities though.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:

FYI, there is already are The Daniel Plan and Mississippi's Oak Hill Baptist Church
and Michelle Obama's Let's Move Initiative which tapped faith leaders and others to help fight childhood obesity. You should consider involvement with one of these organizations to spread your message.

What exactly is your main issue? It seems you go from the treatment of animals to eating less or no meat. I live in an area of the country where many raise their own, or buy whole and half beef, etc., from families. Does that meet your criteria? Would you be satisfied if I suggested everyone buy local grass-fed or grain finished beef and free range chicken?

Lastly, in 30 years of ministry I've yet to have an unbeliever say they were not interested in Christianity because we took no visible stand against the mega-meat industry.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:

FYI, there is already are The Daniel Plan plant based diet, Mississippi's Oak Hill Baptist Church "No Fry Zone," which is being adopted by the Bible Belt based National Baptist Conference,
and Michelle Obama's Let's Move Initiative which tapped faith leaders and others to help fight childhood obesity. You should consider involvement with one of these organizations to spread your message.

What exactly is your main issue? It seems you go from the treatment of animals to eating less or no meat. I live in an area of the country where many raise their own, or buy whole and half beef, etc., from families. Does that meet your criteria? Would you be satisfied if I suggested everyone buy local pork, grass-fed or grain finished beef, free range chicken and wild caught fish? Or, do you want church pulpits across America to demonize Tyson, Hormel, National Beef and Cargill?

Lastly, in 30 years of ministry I've yet to have an unbeliever say they were not interested in Christianity because we took no visible stand against the mega-meat industry.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:57 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
I am more concerned about reaching people for Christ! Jesus instructed us to preach the Gospel, not to worry about animals that God gave us for food. That is not the purpose of the Church. That is something that you can do outside the church but it has no place in the church. IMHO

I would think that the torture, mutilation and murder of millions of children in this country would be of more concern than how an animal is slaughtered for food. I suppose it's a matter of priorities though.
Or perhaps this is a channel through which SoulJourn's ministry is supposed to manifest itself. That's certainly not for you to decide.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 AM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or perhaps this is a channel through which SoulJourn's ministry is supposed to manifest itself. That's certainly not for you to decide.
And that is why I did not tell them what they should do. If SoulJourn uses helping animals to reach people with the Gospel then more power to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity