Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 02:31 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCarson View Post
Petra is a feminine noun. Using that form of the word would be like me calling you Natalie instead of Nate.
And so when you switch to describing the foundation of the church you leave it in the masculine form if you are talking about Peter. How hard is that to understand?

Old 04-22-2014, 02:39 PM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, only about 1/4 of a zillion, the Peter as foundation for the church was very much a minority position.
You forget nate . . . he is relying on the fact that the powerful Roman Empire coerced the acceptance of the Roman Bishop as Pope through force-of-arms and slaughter . . . very "Godly" provenance.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:43 PM

555 posts, read 456,934 times
Quote:
No, only about 1/4 of a zillion, the Peter as foundation for the church was very much a minority position.

After the Great Schism perhaps, but before then...not so much.

Good try though.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You forget nate . . . he is relying on the fact that the powerful Roman Empire coerced the acceptance of the Roman Bishop as Pope through force-of-arms and slaughter . . . very "Godly" provenance.
Hilarious. Really.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:45 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
After the Great Schism perhaps, but before then...not so much.

Good try though.
Dead wrong as I have mentioned before. It was a minority position before the Popes decided that the misunderstanding would make a good basis for their power grab.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Dead wrong as I have mentioned before. It was a minority position before the Popes decided that the misunderstanding would make a good basis for their power grab.
Oh, right. The big lie again. It's all coming together now.

How are the Knights Templar and the Illuminati involved?

Was there a gunman on the grassy knoll, and was he a Jesuit?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Out.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:59 PM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Hilarious. Really.
Resort to mockery and ridicule is a sign of defeat. Sticking one's tongue out is a very mature and intellectual rebuttal. Are you suggesting that the Roman Empire did NOT coerce the acceptance of the Roman Bishop as Pope and Catholicism as the state religion?

Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 PM

296 posts, read 238,561 times
Quote:
Resort to mockery and ridicule is a sign of defeat. Sticking one's tongue out is a very mature and intellectual rebuttal. Are you suggesting that the Roman Empire did NOT coerce the acceptance of the Roman Bishop as Pope and Catholicism as the state religion?
I'm suggesting you rub the belly of the fat man again for real knowledge instead of luck.

I'm leaving the forum. How is it, so many of you are allowed to trash, disrespect and misrepresent the Catholic Church and it's members, is beyond me. I had 78 out of my first 100 posts removed from reportedly changing the subject...while I don't remember one thread ever being titled in respect to the trashing that many of you have done. Which of course proves that that you can play under a different set of rules.

So you can continue to wallow in your disagreements and be different & confused under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, of course.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:58 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Why does the Roman Catholic Church believe that the Bishop of Rome is the exclusive and rightful successor to Peter?
It's their church, so they can make the rules

Old 04-22-2014, 04:05 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times
Quote:
If you say so.

For the benefit of those of us who have not attained your degree of clarity, would you mind posting some of your analysis of the differences between petros and petra? Where there any differences in the usage of those two words during the first century or were they largely synonymous? Why does Paul call Peter Cephas if he was only a lithos? That kind of thing.

Thanks.
CD ask that you not change the topic of a thread or start new ones if a subject has been dealt with many times. I suggest you spend some time searching the CD archives for those discussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.