Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 09:26 AM

555 posts, read 456,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
You see you have to say the above if you didn't your whole 'house of cards' would crumble.
Well, yeah. If any one point of Catholic doctrine is untrue, the the Catholic Church is not infallible, so it would fall. Trouble is, after 2,000 years, it hasn't fallen because it hasn't been proven untrue because it is infallible.

Or something like that.

Quote:
And you're wrong, on so many counts, in regards to the Scriptures.
Well, God knows that is true. I have so much more to learn. But not with regard to this thread.

Quote:
It NOT just a book. It's living and powerful. It's God's love letter to His ppl. It's God's instruction's to His ppl. If you want to miss out on the greatest blessing you could freely have, because of you 'stiff neck,' then I feel very sorry for you, but there's not much more I can say. Except: if you reject God's knowledge, He will reject you. If that doesn't scare you, then again, there's nothing more I can say.
Amen! Everything you just is true, and I, as a Catholic, love all 73 books in God's Holy Word. However, the Bible is a book...well, a library really...a collection of books. So, in the sense that I used the term "book", yeah, that "book" was not around until long after Jesus left the Church here on earth.

Quote:
It wasn't till God lead me away from the lies, and I began to read the Scriptures that I received the fullness of the Spirit.
Reading the scriptures can definitely clear away some of the cobwebs, but as the history of Christianity since the 16th century proves, private interpretation of those scriptures can also create greater confusion. Satan is a master of deception. Speaking of this problem, Peter wrote of Paul's works:
2 Peter 3:16
New International Version (NIV)
16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.
Sadly, this problem is very, very common as the discussions in this forum reveal.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:35 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCarson View Post
16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.
Sadly, this problem is very, very common as the discussions in this forum reveal.
Nonsense!

Lots of smart, informed, opinionated, free-thinking people on this forum. Lol, If you're seeing the people on this forum as ignorant and unstable you're missing all the good stuff.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-23-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 09:40 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,990,905 times
Quote:
I forgot to add this to my other post. I see you like to quote Martin Luther when it suits your agenda. Martin Luther also wrote this:
Feelings come and feelings go
But feelings are deceiving.
My standard is the Word of God
Naught else is worth believing.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nonsense!

Lots of smart, informed, opinionated, free-thinking people on this forum. Lol, If you're seeing the people on this forum as ignorant and unstable you're missing all the good stuff.
DDI-

As I'm sure you've observed, there are some real differences between the beliefs of individual posters here. That's understandable. However, the implication of that is that some are "twisting the scriptures" to arrive at what are erroneous conclusions. After all, when contradictory positions are held by even "smart, informed, opinionated, free-thinking people", it is clear that they can't all be right.

MShipmate asserted that he did not begin to see the truth until he started reading the scriptures, and I simply pointed out that, as I just said, reading them is not enough.

God provided an infallible interpreter of His inerrant word.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:21 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
DDI-

As I'm sure you've observed, there are some real differences between the beliefs of individual posters here. That's understandable. However, the implication of that is that some are "twisting the scriptures" to arrive at what are erroneous conclusions. After all, when contradictory positions are held by even "smart, informed, opinionated, free-thinking people", it is clear that they can't all be right.

MShipmate asserted that he did not begin to see the truth until he started reading the scriptures, and I simply pointed out that, as I just said, reading them is not enough.

True, (except for the inerrant bit) but very few people seem to honestly consult the Spirit.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCarson
DDI-

The Catholic Church has the same problem.

For instance the majority of church fathers held that the rock was the confession Peter made that Jesus was the Christ the Son of the living God. Coadjutor then Ordinary of the archdiocese of St. Louis from 1841 to 1895, Peter Richard Kenrick confronted the Catholic Pope in his day concerning ecclesiastical law which the church is *supposed* to be bound by, that no theology is the truth without the majority of church fathers agreeing as to what the truth is.

He showed that according to the majority of church fathers that it was the faith Peter expressed that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God, was the rock that Jesus built the church on.
The Catholic church merely dismissed him with the wave of the hand. So much for ecclesiastical law.

You can read all about it here http://www.ts.mu.edu/readers/content...5.4/45.4.5.pdf and the struggles the Catholic hierarchy in the U.S.A. had with the hierarchy in Rome.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:50 AM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

For instance the majority of church fathers held that the rock was the confession Peter made that Jesus was the Christ the Son of the living God. Coadjutor then Ordinary of the archdiocese of St. Louis from 1841 to 1895, Peter Richard Kenrick confronted the Catholic Pope in his day concerning ecclesiastical law which the church is *supposed* to be bound by, that no theology is the truth without the majority of church fathers agreeing as to what the truth is.

He showed that according to the majority of church fathers that it was the faith Peter expressed that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God, was the rock that Jesus built the church on.
The Catholic church merely dismissed him with the wave of the hand. So much for ecclesiastical law.

You can read all about it here http://www.ts.mu.edu/readers/content...5.4/45.4.5.pdf and the struggles the Catholic hierarchy in the U.S.A. had with the hierarchy in Rome.
Thank you for the link to the document. I have always believed that there had to be people within the Roman organization that have seen the truth besides Luther over the years.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:01 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Thank you for the link to the document. I have always believed that there had to be people within the Roman organization that have seen the truth besides Luther over the years.
I love my Catholic brothers and sisters dearly. I don't write these things to proselytize them to the Protestant faith since the Protestant faith has many problems.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
True, (except for the inerrant bit) but very few people seem to honestly consult the Spirit.
The Bible is not inerrant?

Old 04-23-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Thank you for that link, Eusebius.

Unfortuntely, none of the Early Church Fathers was individually infallible (unless they were also Pope, but let's set that aside for a moment).

What is true is that the Church listens carefully to all of her sons...and then she infallibly chooses which of them speaks the truth on a particular doctrinal matter. The others, in turn, accept the decision of the Church in humility or find themselves in heresy or schism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.